Thread: D’Addario Exp 74CM replacement

Default D’Addario Exp 74CM replacement

I guess I haven’t been paying attention on here for the last few years. I found in the D’Addario Exp 74CM, the perfect strings for my Gibson MM so I bought a dozen sets a few years ago. I just used the last one and when I went to buy another dozen, I see that they have been replaced with two different ones the Xt and the XS.
    I am hoping that someone on here can give me some guidance as to which one most closely resembles the EXP74CM.

Thank you
    '02 Gibson master model #70327 02-01-02
    '25 Gibson A-4 Snakehead #82626
    '06 Hicks #1 and #2 F-5 still not done

Gibson F-5 Master Model Registry

Default Re: D’Addario Exp 74CM replacement

Hi I think the XS are closest to EXP, the XT have a thinner coating to give a tone closer to uncoated but don't last as long as XS (unless I got that the wrong way round lol). I like the XS a lot on guitar and mandolin, but you might want to give them both a try before you commit?

3. The following members say thank you to tonyw for this post:

D’addario finally has available the XS strings in “custom medium” gauges. I don’t see them at the online retailer i ususally use yet, but ordered two sets direct from D’addario. I, and some others I know, havr been waiting for these!

I have been using the XS on mandolin and guitar, both electric and acoustic. They sound great and last.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well .... they are likely not to be "exactly" like the Exp 74CM's. All you can do is start your string search again with a set of each and maybe a few others. https://juststrings.com/?gclid=Cj0KC...saArP_EALw_wcB is a good place to shop. Do keep in mind, they have a shipping charge so ordering several sets of whatever is best. Good Luck. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Juststrings doesn’t have the XS custom medium or heavy gauges that some of us have been waiting on yet.

I ordered directly from D’addario. Two sets, free shipping.

8. The following members say thank you to lowtone2 for this post:

I think the XS are a lot better than the Exp74CM, which was my go to before the XS.
    The XS sound better to me, and they last a really really long time. Like four times as long.
    Good stuff.
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CWRoyds For This Useful Post: