Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golden Gate Large Triangle X Stiff

Default Golden Gate Large Triangle X Stiff

Are you tired of paying $35, $45 for a pick? I sure am! So here's the $2.00 alternative... the new Golden Gate X Stiff Large Triangular pick. I'm not sure what they did at Golden Gate, but them seem to be using a new, higher-quality celluloid plastic that is X-tremely scratch-resistant and delivers a rich, smooth tone with very little pick noise. I'm impressed as hell with these...

The X Stiff model pictured here is the one I'm referring to. It is slightly less thick than the ProPlec triangle (which is too stiff for my taste)... probably a 1.4 as opposed to the ProPlec's 1.5 thickness. It is super comfortable in the hand and has the normal, rounded bevel that I prefer. I used BC picks for a long time and have recently tried a Tone$lab and, pricing aside, I much prefer these GG triangles. They might be a little tough to find, but do give one a try. I think you'll be pleasantly impressed for two bucks or less!

Play on, play on!

Attachment 207690
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-1664.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	613.8 KB 
ID:	207691  

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Glassweb For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Golden Gate Large Triangle X Stiff

I tried one of these from the Pick Sampler #2 and I liked it. Glad to hear it's not expensive!
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

4. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

I like them and my local store carries them. The rounded ones are good too.

I had high hopes for these but they had too much give for me (I think I got the extra heavy...). I wish they made them in the same thickness as the rounded GGs.
    2004 Gibson F5 Alan Bibey Signature Series
    c1930 Gibson A
    Eastman MDO 305
    2017 RAG F #29
    Kay A
    NoName "finish it yourself" Ebay beater F

I'm a big fan of the Pro Plek 1.5mm version. I just got a Blue Chip T60 that I like better in controlled situations (e.g. folks' living rooms rather than public spaces). But, I keep a bunch of these in every case.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	proplek.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	194.1 KB 
ID:	207707
    Roger

1920 Martin Style A
    1924 Gibson A2Z "Snakehead"
    Don MacRostie designed Stuart MacDonald A-style kit I built myself.
    2022 Kentucky KM-1000B
    Plus guitars - lots of guitars
    Two banjos, a fiddle, and a tiple

I have a Dawg style Golden Gate kicking around that I like the feel, but not the size of. I do love me some large triangles, though, and was convinced enough to order some clown barf ones off of eBay.

But, I was curious if folks have noticed much of a difference between the different versions. Much difference in feel or tone between the Tort, Clown Barf, Ivoroid, Black and Pearloid versions? I was initially drawn to the Ivoroid ones, but a quick search found that some folks had trouble with them disintegrating. And I do like the look of the Pearloid ones. But, having handled that textured Ivoroid material in their thumb picks, and looking at how shiny the Pearloid ones are, I've gotta think there's some difference in feel and tone.
    '91 Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A / Eastman MD-315

I do really like these also. I’ve tried everything except for tones labs. Sadly, I still prefer a Bluechip to everything. I will continue to use the Golden Gate triangles as well as some others. For some reason, I like variety. Also, it’s nice to get 10 of these for 20 bucks. Not have to worry about losing them and can give them to students and friends.

10. The following members say thank you to Carleton Page for this post:

Adrian Minarovic

That X-stiff pick in the OP doesn't look like celluloid at the first glance. Could be casein by the way the streaks show over clear core, or some other plastic. Casein would be probably more expensive. Anyone knows?
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by HoGo View Post
    That X-stiff pick in the OP doesn't look like celluloid at the first glance. Could be casein by the way the streaks show over clear core, or some other plastic. Casein would be probably more expensive. Anyone knows?
    I assume they're made from celluloid, but I really have no idea! All I know for sure is that I like 'em!

Blog Entries

I've really grown to like these larger semi-triangular shapes and sizes, providing more acreage to hang on to. Is this a sign of old age???

I'm still really enjoying the Fender 346 classic torti-celluloid picks in extra heavy, and having bought 2 half gross packages (at about 33 cents each) I'll probably never need to buy flat picks again. They also make nice gifts to musical friends, most that I encounter haven't seen extra heavy Fender picks before.

But I'm glad to see other vendors are coming up with new stuff. Knowing the shape, size and weight of a pick that I like makes testing out other picks fun and easy.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Quote Originally Posted by Caberguy View Post
    I have a Dawg style Golden Gate kicking around that I like the feel, but not the size of. I do love me some large triangles, though, and was convinced enough to order some clown barf ones off of eBay.

But, I was curious if folks have noticed much of a difference between the different versions. Much difference in feel or tone between the Tort, Clown Barf, Ivoroid, Black and Pearloid versions? I was initially drawn to the Ivoroid ones, but a quick search found that some folks had trouble with them disintegrating. And I do like the look of the Pearloid ones. But, having handled that textured Ivoroid material in their thumb picks, and looking at how shiny the Pearloid ones are, I've gotta think there's some difference in feel and tone.
    I tried out the various styles and found them to have different/various tone and feel.

Re 20MartinA, I very much like the old glossy Proplec but not so much the new matte version. I've been told its the same plastic, just matte. You wouldn't think that small change would change the tone much but it's pretty pronounced. I have not yet tried polishing a new one to gloss but I'm tempted. I like the old style PP slightly more than the BC TAD 60 1R on my F5 & I'm down to my last one. I definitely find different picks to work best for different instruments.

I'd like to try the Fender 346 extra heavy but I'm hesitant to by 72 (or whatever a gross is) picks I very well may not like. Anyone want to go in on an order of them?
    2004 Gibson F5 Alan Bibey Signature Series
    c1930 Gibson A
    Eastman MDO 305
    2017 RAG F #29
    Kay A
    NoName "finish it yourself" Ebay beater F

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stopstop View Post
    ... I'd like to try the Fender 346 extra heavy but I'm hesitant to by 72 (or whatever a gross is) picks I very well may not like. Anyone want to go in on an order of them?
    Worth mentioning then, when I got mine they were only available in 1/2 gross packages. They are available from eBay in packages of a dozen now. Maybe even less that I haven't seen yet. Maybe someday soon they'll also be available from regular vendors that way.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

I got a bag of 12 Clown Barf X-Stiff Large Triangles. They're currently my go-to picks.

But before I changed over to EJ73 light gauge strings and was playing the EJ74 mediums, my go to pick was a Dunlop Primetone 1.5 Large Triangle.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

I do have a couple Blue Chips and they float around from case to case. They're great but I don't think I'll by anymore $30+ picks because the cheap ones are so darned good.

Between D'andrea Radex 1.25, GG Clownbarf 1.3, and Dunlop Tortex Flex 1.14 (triangular), I find it hard to beat just having a bunch of those three and choosing one for the instrument/situation. The Dunlop tends to get used on the Cittern or Zouk. Clownbarf or Radex on the mando but really they all work. And then once in awhile the bluechip shows up but it's no revelation. Just different.

I am interested in a Hense triangular blue pick. They seem to hit a decent middle ground at around $16 but they're hard to find in the USA.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

Adrian Minarovic

I've used large triangle celluloid picks for many years even before the shape became "the norm" and was sold in thicker materials as well. First I reshaped various other picks like original GG or laminated two or three thinner Martin or Stagg large celluloid triangles that were available at 0.6mm or 0.96 mm to get final 1.5mm thickness. I also used symmetrical bevel on both sides like these new picks.
    I got some Primetones and one BC that I reshaped with double sided bevel (instead of speed bevel on one side) but I still reach for any of those old celluloid pieces for mandolin or guitar playing.
    They are certainly good picks.
    Adrian

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

OK... I will give these a shot. At 2$ a piece shipped I can afford to do that. I have been using BC's for a decade but I am always curious to tryout something new. I have tried casein picks but I always wind up putting one between my lips for a moment here and there and that is the beginning of the end for one of those. NOTHING sounds and feels quite like natural shell, but I am down with the tortoise's. Thanks for the recommendation Glassweb. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

20. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stopstop View Post

Re 20MartinA, I very much like the old glossy Proplec but not so much the new matte version. I've been told its the same plastic, just matte. You wouldn't think that small change would change the tone much but it's pretty pronounced. I have not yet tried polishing a new one to gloss but I'm tempted. I like the old style PP slightly more than the BC TAD 60 1R on my F5 & I'm down to my last one. I definitely find different picks to work best for different instruments.
    I like the matte finish because they're not as slippery.
    Roger

1920 Martin Style A
    1924 Gibson A2Z "Snakehead"
    Don MacRostie designed Stuart MacDonald A-style kit I built myself.
    2022 Kentucky KM-1000B
    Plus guitars - lots of guitars
    Two banjos, a fiddle, and a tiple

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Leyda View Post
    I do have a couple Blue Chips and they float around from case to case. They're great but I don't think I'll by anymore $30+ picks because the cheap ones are so darned good.

Between D'andrea Radex 1.25, GG Clownbarf 1.3, and Dunlop Tortex Flex 1.14 (triangular), .
    Haven't seen the Radex picks before. Are they brighter or darker in tone than the Ultex and Primetone picks? Looks like I'll need a bigger pick dish soon. Thanks for that.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

To my ear they are a little brighter than the Primetone and a little darker than the Clownbarf. I may be wrong on this but I think I heard Tyler White using a Radex on one of his incredible mandos. He's a great player and a great luthier so that has more to do with it than the pick but hey, for around a buck, why not try one?

I did and I like em well enough.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

Got my Clown Barfs today, like em. Feel good at least with dry hands.

Did a very quick comparison with the 8 closest large triangles I had on hand on the Flatiron. The GG definitely held their own, I thought it had about the roundest tone of the bunch, middle of the pack on overtones. The Wegens were both a bit brighter and more trebly, probably better cut. The Blue Chip was the most complex. The Primetone brought out the most overtones. The Stubby had the worst bass response and was tied for the clickiest, and is definitely the clunkiest. The Clayton Ultem was also tied for the clickiest, but decent other than that. The Clayton acetal was the dullest, but also the thinnest. The Red Bear gave the tone that I associate most with dry/vintage... the sort of gruff hollowness that's hard to put into words.

I bought a dozen delivered for less than $20, so definitely a bargain winner.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20230526_190907430.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	828.3 KB 
ID:	207750
    '91 Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A / Eastman MD-315

I’ve got a dozen each of the Clayton acetal in 1.52 and 1.90 and bevel them like the Primetone (1.5 smooth, large, triangle) picks. Changes them into something I really like and they’re both in my cases now.

Just recently, though, I pulled a ProPlec out and reacquainted myself with a pick that was in regular use not that long ago, and now I’m using that!

I don’t do any of this kind of fooling around (changing) with the guitar picks, but I’m still a novice in the mando, and sometimes the pick seems to be the answer to a sound or feel I’m chasing, and sometimes it doesn’t seem to matter that much! Picks and mandolins are funny things...

I've never used anything else since test driving the standard Golden Gate many years ago.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

“That X-stiff pick in the OP doesn't look like celluloid at the first glance. Could be casein by the way the streaks show over clear core, or some other plastic. Casein would be probably more expensive. Anyone knows?”

At $2, they wouldn’t be casein.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

I was told by the local shop here in B'ham where I bought them that it is a celluloid pick... albeit with perhaps some other ingredients as well.

Definitely not casein...

Another big fan of the Radex picks. For me, the Radex 1.25 are a great inexpensive substitute to BC and others that are 20x the cost. I put a radius on one edge and find that gives me a little thicker sound I like for guitar. The points work well for me on mandolin. YMMV.