Thread: Looking for more information on this 1902 Vinaccia mando

Question Looking for more information on this 1902 Vinaccia mando

A few weeks ago I stumbled across an old looking mandolin whilst doing my weekly estate sale scouting . I managed to pick this beauty up whilst I was there amazingly(I don't know how it managed to wait for me without someone else walking off with it). I've been stalking the forum for a while gathering intel from various threads. With all the information I've gathered however I have not found a single mandolin that has some of the features that this one has. In particular, the butterfly on the front plate, I wasn't sure if any of you fine people would be able to help me on my quest for knowledge in regards to this beautiful piece of music history. I did take the mandolin to my local Guitar Center. FEAR NOT my friends, for I only needed them to fix the nut and put new strings on(that I bought on a recommendation from one of these threads while I was perusing through). I didn't want anything major to be done to it because I felt like there are people better suited for a refurb job on something like this. Other than the year it was made, who made it, and what strings need to go onto it for it to be played safely I know very little else about this piece. I'm no stranger to the internet, however I am a stranger to the world of forums and group discussions, so please bear with me. I will try my best to be as responsive as I can.

Thank you all so much in advance,
    Inq
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bottom Bowl.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	676.7 KB 
ID:	207693   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front Bowl.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	547.8 KB 
ID:	207694   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front Face.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	228.5 KB 
ID:	207695  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inside Label.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	959.6 KB 
ID:	207696  

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheInquirer For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Looking for more information on this 1902 Vinaccia mando

Very nice Vinaccia indeed. Looks like Dogal Calace Dolce strings were put on (one photo has a pack of those nearby). Good choice. From the Vinaccia range this one considered an intermediate one, there were both simpler and fancier models. It is from the period that Munier's name was used on the label aswell. If you search Vinaccia threads on this forum you will find some information about them. There's no single source or a website on Vinaccia mandolins and this forum has probably the most, though the info is scattered in various threads. The butterfly on a pickguard is not unusual, they came in different varieties of those. As you probably know Vinaccia is in the "big three" of the great mandolin makers (along with Embergher and Calace). They are lovely instruments and if you do play you will likely to enjoy it, especially if you compare the sound with mandolins of other makers. Congratulations on getting a great mandolin!

A couple of Vinaccia's butterflies:

Name:	IMG_1709.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	709.6 KB 
ID:	207714Click image for larger version. 

Name:	54462569_2099489093480188_3931136115230113792_n.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	448.6 KB 
ID:	207713
    Last edited by vic-victor; May-24-2023 at 6:33am.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vic-victor For This Useful Post:

Nice find, and it appears that you know to only bring it to capable hands if it needs any work, and that if you mention your location, you can get recommendations for the apparently few luthiers who are comfortable with bowl backs.
    Meanwhile, it appears that you have two repaired cracks on top, but really before stringing to pitch, you should examine the inside to see if the braces are solidly attached. Also the top may have no finish at all, so don’t try to clean it up with a solvent or a soap as that can drive dirt deeper. It’s a quality instrument, and you shouldn’t take chances with it.
    Best of luck!

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Fair play to you, Inquirer.

This thread: "Sorting Out the Vinaccia" has a lot of information, but as Victor says, discussions about Vinaccia mandolins are spread around here.

The long running "Bowlbacks of Note" thread is another good place to begin.

The 'search thread' function is useful within the ongoing threads.

Nipote, of course, can refer to both a grandson and a nephew in Italian.

Carlo was both....grandson to Pasqauale V and nephew of Gennaro ed Achille V .

We're going to have to insist on some more photos of your beautiful mandolin.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Smile Re: Looking for more information on this 1902 Vinaccia mando

Quote Originally Posted by Ira7 View Post
    What gauge strings did you put on?
    Dogal Calace Dolce as my fine friend put down below is what I went with. I can't exactly remember which thread I pulled that info from lol. I believe it was from the bowlbacks thread mentioned below.

Inq
    Last edited by TheInquirer; May-25-2023 at 9:20am.

Quote Originally Posted by vic-victor View Post
    Very nice Vinaccia indeed. Looks like Dogal Calace Dolce strings were put on (one photo has a pack of those nearby). Good choice. From the Vinaccia range this one considered an intermediate one, there were both simpler and fancier models. It is from the period that Munier's name was used on the label aswell. If you search Vinaccia threads on this forum you will find some information about them. There's no single source or a website on Vinaccia mandolins and this forum has probably the most, though the info is scattered in various threads. The butterfly on a pickguard is not unusual, they came in different varieties of those. As you probably know Vinaccia is in the "big three" of the great mandolin makers (along with Embergher and Calace). They are lovely instruments and if you do play you will likely to enjoy it, especially if you compare the sound with mandolins of other makers. Congratulations on getting a great mandolin!

A couple of Vinaccia's butterflies:

Name:	IMG_1709.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	709.6 KB 
ID:	207714Click image for larger version. 

Name:	54462569_2099489093480188_3931136115230113792_n.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	448.6 KB 
ID:	207713
    I absolutely love the detail that went into the second mandolin with the butterfly stretching across the plate all the way, and that green on the other butterflys wings is stunning(a little jealous cause I'm partial to green lol). I have had so much fun digging in and learning about not only the period mandolins themselves, but the families that made them. I do appreciate the diligence this community has when it comes to the eagerness in which knowledge of this subject matter is shared!

Inq

Quote Originally Posted by Richard500 View Post
    Nice find, and it appears that you know to only bring it to capable hands if it needs any work, and that if you mention your location, you can get recommendations for the apparently few luthiers who are comfortable with bowl backs.
    Meanwhile, it appears that you have two repaired cracks on top, but really before stringing to pitch, you should examine the inside to see if the braces are solidly attached. Also the top may have no finish at all, so don’t try to clean it up with a solvent or a soap as that can drive dirt deeper. It’s a quality instrument, and you shouldn’t take chances with it.
    Best of luck!
    I found the mandolin itself at an estate sale in Greenbrier, AR. I live in the area, so resources regarding antique instrument repair are sparse to say the least lol. I would love some recommendations of an expert or two I could let really get this piece back into shape! It's beginning to become a passion project for me at this point anyways. I'm falling in love with the community and the instruments themselves.

Inq

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    Fair play to you, Inquirer.

This thread: "Sorting Out the Vinaccia" has a lot of information, but as Victor says, discussions about Vinaccia mandolins are spread around here.

The long running "Bowlbacks of Note" thread is another good place to begin.

The 'search thread' function is useful within the ongoing threads.

Nipote, of course, can refer to both a grandson and a nephew in Italian.

Carlo was both....grandson to Pasqauale V and nephew of Gennaro ed Achille V .

We're going to have to insist on some more photos of your beautiful mandolin.

Mick
    The information on the families themselves is so enthralling! I'll definitely be spending me weekend scrolling through those two threads for sure. When I get some time I'll get some more photos! If there's anything specific that any of you would like to see just let me know, and I'll do my best with my amateur photography skills lol.

Inq

You might want to post a few side views to see how the action is and how straight the neck is. Also post a view of the neck from the back especially showing where the neck pins the headstock. I have a feeling that this was worked on a few times in its 121 year existence. Two splined racks in the top are significant but if done well would be fine. However that also would indicate that this might have been stored under adverse conditions.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

You might give Dying Breed Music in Searcy, about an hour from Greenbrier, a call. From their website, it doesn't appear they do lutherie themselves, but given the very high-end nature of vintage guitars they sell, I bet they could recommend someone. https://www.dyingbreedguitars.com/about-us/

Teacher, repair person

I would avoid going to Dying Breed for recommendations.

There are certainly people in Nashville who can handle the work.
    If you don't want to travel that far, you might check with the classical music community in St. Louis and find out who does their violin work.