Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reverb Scams

Default Reverb Scams

I’ve listed quite a few things over the years on Reverb with decent results. Lately I have had people contacting me wanting to meet offline. Even had one guy buy the item and then want me to contact him directly and then couldn’t talk accurately to what he’d just bought.
    Does anyone have similar results or am I magnet for these crooks?

Default Re: Reverb Scams

Not on Reverb, but I've noticed an uptick in various suspect messages on other platforms.

Had a scammer on FB Market Place recently.

I got a message asking if the instrument was still available & giving his direct email address to reply to. I replied via reverb mail that it was still available. Never heard back. That was a year ago. The one and only probable scam I've encountered there in ~a dozen transactions.

I’ve had multiple attempted scams recently. I’ve been trading a lot, trying to get my setup just right with multiple instruments. I think everything I have listed in the last couple of months has received at least one inquiry about my “instrument,” and buying it for a friend, and/or, “oops, I overpaid you by cashiers check, can I trust you to return the excess funds to me…”. I get them from BanjoHangout ads too. BHO is always quick to shut those down - in fact, most accounts from which I have received them were shut down by the time I went to report them. I’ve only listed one mandolin here; and I know I got one on it; but if memory serves, it was also listed on Reverb, and that’s where the attempted scam arose.

Also, when buying, don’t fall for paying with PayPal “Family and Friends “ . At best, it only benefits the seller, and it leaves you wide open to be scammed.

7. The following members say thank you to Tom Sanderson for this post:

I have received 5 bogus replies for an ad I have on Reverb. They each use poor language with lame stories and want to continue with private emails. I forwarded them each to Reverb who shut them down. I did receive a couple genuine replies that were all done within the Reverb format.

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Had one a couple weeks ago on FB. Something like, “I just need to verify that you’re a real person, can I send you a code via text through Facebook and you give it to me here?”

Of course the idea is that they’ll use your phone number to request a password reset so they can steal your FB account.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

10. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

I listed two instruments about a month ago on reverb. Both received offers at full asking price, and i accepted them, but after a day of no response i looked closer at the offer and on the bottom it said to contact them at a email outside of reverbs message system. I contacted reverb and they confirmed it was a scam and changed my listings back to available. It happened three times on one of them within a week. That never happened before, but reverb was quick to put an end to it.
    Its not a backwards guitar.

Blog Entries

I had this experience and hadn’t seen that in the past. I think scammers are on the rise. Reverb recommends only communicating through their site. Also, it is important to report these people to the Reverb staff.

I think this is happening across the board. Everywhere from eBay, Reverb, Craigslist, FB, etc. Both buying and selling. My sister lists $8 items on FB Marketplace and they still try to scam her. A shame.

I have only used Reverb a couple times and both were painless. But I do still sell stuff on CL from time to time and the scammers seem to never give up.

The whole "I need to verify that you are real" bit hasn't happened to me in a while, but I used to have a lot of fun with it. Sometimes I'd text back and get a conversation started with them. Then I'd ask several times, "Are you ready for my code?"
    "Yes."
    "Are you sure?"
    "Yes!"
    Then I'd send them a pic of someone giving the finger. There is my code for you. Goodbye.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caleb For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I've mostly been a buyer on Reverb. Years ago I listed a lightly used 2015 D-18. There were no scammers but the low-baller trolls were thick. Many low-ball offers.

The worst one was a lowball of $1,200. The troll explained to me how they were doing me a favor taking this guitar off my hands for $1,200. I had a good laugh over it.

"Oh thank you Mr. Troll for relieving me of my $2,000 guitar for $1,200."
    I ended up getting my asking price from a normal buyer.
    '95 Gibson F-5V
    2017 Collings MF5
    2017 Martin OOO-28
    2002 Martin D-18GE

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marbelizer For This Useful Post:

$1200 is about what Guitar Center would offer -- about 60% of their selling price, FWIW. Sometimes you can push it to 70% on a name brand like Martin, if it is clean. Sounds lowball, but if you need cash they are a buyer and you get your money in about 10 minutes....and you don't have to ship it or pay Reverb fees. NFI, but I sell to them all the time. Quick. Simple. No fuss, no muss.

If you want full retail, you gotta wait it out to find the right buyer. And, of course, Reverb takes out their cut...

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by marbelizer View Post
    I've mostly been a buyer on Reverb. Years ago I listed a lightly used 2015 D-18. There were no scammers but the low-baller trolls were thick. Many low-ball offers.

The worst one was a lowball of $1,200. The troll explained to me how they were doing me a favor taking this guitar off my hands ...
    Up pops a Mando Cafe newbie to say: I've bought a couple dozen watches in the last couple years, and most of the purchases were close to what a seller might call "low-balll" offers. (example: $350 for a 60s Omega Seamaster, that had been inexpertly refinished; seller was asking $500-600 and had no buyers in a month.) So I admit to being a potential low-baller, sorry.

I'll just say, when I do this: "I hope you aren't offended by this offer, and absolutely no hard feelings if you don't even reply. But I can really only justify buying this if it's a real bargain for me. Maybe you're eager enough to sell that you will take my offered price, or have a counteroffer, or maybe you're thinking 'to heck with this guy." Either way, thanks. --ken"

This has been successful a number of times, especially with commercial resellers, and I'm hoping at least when it isn't successful, I'm not offending the people.

I've been reading here a while; just got a mandola because my fingers are too short for my guitars and too fat for my mandolin. I *love* my mandola! (MDA315) Great fit for me--fretboard size and scale length, plus I love the sound. Wound up visiting Mandolin Cafe while shopping (many thanks again to Zach at the Mandolin Store for helping a newbie buy a new intrument!).

I haven't figured out how to "thank" someone for a post, but I've been VERY much assisted in my choices by reading here on MC! Thanks and best from your newest n00b. :-) --ken (OH, and I'm still looking for a hard case! Just ordered a used viola case on ebay looks like it might fit; I'll post if it does.)
    (demographics: I'm an old retired guy, 32 yrs at D00k Univ and U of Louisville in medical research data, married, one shelter dog who shares my pillow at night, in west Raleigh NC.)

21. The following members say thank you to Ken_ac4rd for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_ac4rd View Post
    I haven't figured out how to "thank" someone for a post, but I've been VERY much assisted in my choices by reading here on MC!
    To thank someone for a post, you must be signed in, then just click on "Thanks" at the bottom left of their post. Of course, if someone has been especially helpful, it's always nice to hit "Reply" and send a more personal post, as you've done.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

23. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    To thank someone for a post, you must be signed in, then just click on "Thanks" at the bottom left of their post. Of course, if someone has been especially helpful, it's always nice to hit "Reply" and send a more personal post, as you've done.
    Thank you! I didn't see the "thanks" button until after I had posted. I think it may not have appeared until after Ii finally registered with Mandolin Cafe--though I may have been overlooking it before, Mrs Ken likes to point out that I'm pretty clueless some days. :-) Thanks for allowing me to join your forums! The mandola is an entirely new experience for me, with the extra fretboard room, and I'm loving it! --ken

25. The following members say thank you to Ken_ac4rd for this post:

Ranald 

Thank you! I didn't see the "thanks" button until after I had posted. I think it may not have appeared until after Ii finally registered with Mandolin Cafe--though I may have been overlooking it before, Mrs Ken likes to point out that I'm pretty clueless some days. :-) Thanks for allowing me to join your forums! The mandola is an entirely new experience for me, with the extra fretboard room, and I'm loving it! --ken
    Welcome to the Cafe, by the way, and enjoy your mandolin journey. People here are friendly and supportive, so don't be shy with your questions. There's a "Newbies" group as well as many other groups. To join, go to "Learn/Listen" at the top of this page, then click on "Social Groups."
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

27. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

So I admit to being a potential low-baller, sorry.
    Me, too! And, welcome to the Cafe!

My attitude is that any "chump" can pay retail. It's easy, just get out your wallet. In 60+ years of playing, I've owned hundreds of guitars, probably close to a thousand. It's my "thing" and I have fun with it. Many come and go and a handful I've kept over the years. I look at the cost being the price of trying it out. I also, worked at a vintage guitar shop and got to try many there as well -- I may have been their best customer!

My boss would say that we are here to make a living. The price is an asking price. At the end of the month, there is no telling how little we might take for something! We have bills and salaries to pay. One of his sales techniques was to ask a customer, "what would you like to offer?" (One of my smart alec responses was, "oh, I don't want to hurt your feelings!") He usually said, "try me!"

Only a handful of times in my life, I have paid full "retail" for something. And, that was something I really, really wanted. Before eBay and the internet, there was a such thing as something being rare. Often something that you couldn't find locally. The internet made the stuff available to all. I justify paying retail in thinking the "bargain" was just being able to own something I have been looking for (usually for a long time.)

Otherwise, price can make a so so instrument more attractive, IMHO. Everybody likes a bargain. I mentioned selling instruments to Guitar Center and what they like to offer. Believe it or not, on many things I've purchased used, the GC offer was equal to what I paid. On a rare occasion, I even made a little "profit."

I also sell on eBay and list things with a "Make Offer." Sure I often get $1 offers on a $2500 instruments, I'm not offended. Just as often, someone will offer $2275, thinking the discount will cover tax and shipping. And, I'm usually cool with such an offer. Again, buying or selling, everyone likes a bargain. It is just a question of how you define it.

Good points about inventory that has lingered, I think an offer is often appreciated.

Anyway, that's my take. I try to keep it fun. YMMV.
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Jun-06-2023 at 4:40pm.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

vintagemandolin.com Charles Johnson's Avatar

Been getting a lot of Reverb scams. one thats popping up recently is "I'll send you a cashiers check and have someone pick up the instrument". Don't do it!
    The cashiers check is almost always fake. You deposit it and a week or so later the issuing bank will say it's fraudulent, so your bank takes the $$ back out of your account, sometimes with a "hot check fee". You are out the money.

The person that picks up the instrument is never the "buyer"; after a while the "buyer" will indicate he never received the instrument. It's gone, of course, and you have no real info on the person who picked it up and no way to recover it - IF you can even find it. It's the same if you ship it - the "buyer" will wait a week or so - well after the shipping company has moved on.

To be safe, use PayPal (NOT friends and family) or the Reverb checkout. Both will guarantee the transaction is legit and will back you if anything is bogus. Zelle is also good, as the "Buyer" only has your email or phone number and cannot access your account. A wire transfer is also good, as it is non-revokable and cannot be cancelled once the money is received (at least in the US). However, with a wire you have to give the other party your routing and account number. In the US a bank cannot take money out of your account without your written approval (federal law), so it is safe, but a "buyer" may try scamming the account once he has the numbers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    My attitude is that any "chump" can pay retail.

Otherwise, price can make a so so instrument more attractive, IMHO. Everybody likes a bargain.
    I am going to have to disagree with Jeff Mando. Respectfully of course, because I cannot remember us being on opposite sides very often, if at all.

I find haggling very stressful, and not at all fun. I do not find I enjoy a mandolin any more because I got a good deal, or any less because I paid too much. I find that after a year or two of owning the instrument I will likely forget how much I paid anyway.

I try to focus my attention on three numbers. The asking price, the so called “value” of the instrument, and how much the instrument is “worth” to me. If the three numbers are in the same ball park, I generally don’t haggle much, if at all. Even if that means paying retail. I am happy to pay what I figure something is worth, if it is worth it to me. And get on to the fun part, playing the dern thing. If there is a significant mismatch between the three numbers, I figure haggling can't fix that, and I move on.

I never low ball. Not because of embarrassment or discomfort, or fear on insulting someone, but because the extended haggle and gamesmanship for its own sake just cuts into my picking time.

I have nothing but respect for those who do it differently than me. We all enjoy this stuff differently. I am sure I have paid too much more than once, (in the sense that I could have negotiated harder), but I also know that paying more than maybe I could have is not the reason I struggle with that F#m chord.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

The last 3 items I sold on Reverb had bogus inquires and offers, they are easy to spot, I forward them to Reverb.
    Lee Hill

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post

I find haggling very stressful, and not at all fun. I do not find I enjoy a mandolin any more because I got a good deal, or any less because I paid too much. I find that after a year or two of owning the instrument I will likely forget how much I paid anyway.

I never low ball. Not because of embarrassment or discomfort, or fear on insulting someone, but because the extended haggle and gamesmanship for its own sake just cuts into my picking time.
    I disagree with both of these sentiments.

I like haggling and I like feeling like I got a deal. I dont mind when I get $300 offers on $500 listings. A simple reply "No thank you" and my bottom and then I move on.

Mandolins typically don't move very quickly anyways. The longer something site, the greater chance the seller starts to think that maybe they overvalued it.

And music go round's are full of instruments that people sold for like 60% of their retail value. Sometimes I see them locally and I WISH they had made a craigslist post with their guitar or mandolin for the price they likely got rid of it for.
    Arsenal:
    Turkey Creek #63 | Gibson F-5 MSC | Martin D-18 GE | Eastman E20D-tc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by haggardphunk View Post
    I disagree with both of these sentiments... I like haggling and I like feeling like I got a deal.
    I totally understand. I know many folks who love that aspect. Most of the them the skill is used in buying and selling cars. And also the area I live has a lot of antique shops, where everything is like there is the price make me an offer. So I am kind of in the middle of haggle country.

I had a close friend to whom negotiating the price was the fun part. And she was freaking excellent at it. She taught me to haggle even on purchases where the price is not traditionally negotiable. Crazy stuff. Her parents ran a huge flea market when she was growing up, and it was just in her blood. She told me she learned by negotiating on things she didn't even want to buy, just to get into it and figure where the edges were.

I dunno. I am just not built that way.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Good points by all!

Two thoughts:

I was raised by Depression Era parents who squeezed a nickel till it hurt. When Mom died we found a cup under the bathroom sink where she stored worn-out silvers of bar soap -- instead of throwing it away. I guess she thought there may be a day when she might need it. In that sense, I feel very spoiled and privileged that they sacrificed to make my life easier.

So, sure when I go to the flea market and buy 10 items -- I always ask for a discount -- in a very polite, friendly way. If I get each item for $5 less, then I saved $50 and that buys pizza! And, to be honest, I do like the sport of it. That being said, I've had it backfire and offend the seller and have him refuse to sell to me -- even at full price. So there's a risk, but a small one, because money always does the talking. Especially, at a flea market!

OTOH, I have one friend I would call a "true collector." To him, price isn't important. In fact, he associates a high price with quality. I've seen him pay twice what an item is worth, because it comes from an established vintage dealer and has an implied provenance. Little did he know the item may have been purchased the week before at a pawn shop in the worst part of town. He would never sell anything. He wants to buy what he feels is the "best of the best." I call him a true collector, because most collectors quickly become dealers to support their hobby and I think some of them end up losing sight of an item's intrinsic value, in search of profit or a better deal. So, I can see both sides. Not too many true collectors left, IMHO.

Along those same lines, one of my college jobs was working at a vintage record store. The boss told me the first day...."what we are doing is selling the ILLUSION of quality. These records are the same records people sell at yard sales and flea markets, but WE present them better. We clean them ultrasonically, we dress them up with a crisp, new inner paper sleeve, and put the cover in a fitted clear plastic outer bag -- and, end up charging a higher price." (at the time, a price higher than most new releases, and certainly more than just an average "used" record.) Of course, to a shrewd eye many used records suddenly become collector records!