Thread: Really cool, but really sad

Default Really cool, but really sad

Earlier today I picked up a Regal Octophone, it's in rough shape but the price was too good to pass up (Worth driving an hour each way too). It's the fanciest one I've ever seen, Spruce over mahogany, mahogany neck. Fancy colorful purfling around the soundhole and body, bound back. Pearl dots and diamonds in the fingerboard etc.

What's most unique is the tailpiece, it's shaped like a crown and engraved. What's sad is it looks like someone cut off all of the loop hooks. I think they were using ball end strings, sticking the string through the hole and having the string rest on the top...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2270.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	566.8 KB 
ID:	207806Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2271.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	207807

Default Re: Really cool, but really sad

If you get a stout steel rod (even part of a drill bit shaft) you could string it through (all) the loops of regular mandolin strings.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Fretbear View Post
    If you get a stout steel rod (even part of a drill bit shaft) you could string it through (all) the loops of regular mandolin strings.
    You mean stick the loop end through the hole and thread a rod through all of the loops? I'm not sure how that would work, when installed the holes will be completely covered by the sides. I was able to push the pin out of the hinge, so I'll probably watch eBay for a tailpiece and swap the cover.

A nail would do the same thing, or two actually. The hole is so small that it wouldn't have to be that big of a nail. One thru the loops on the top row, and one thru the loops on the bottom row.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

What's sad is it looks like someone cut off all of the loop hooks. I think they were using ball end strings, sticking the string through the hole and having the string rest on the top...]
    Can't fix stupid.

6. The following members say thank you to Chris Pile for this post:

Using a rod (or even a nail) sounds like a good idea …….. until you break a string!

8. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

You could buy this one and use it complete. Or if you are careful, you might be able to take the "crown" from yours and replace the "wrist rest". I am assuming the key part is the same on both.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/39464467526...Bk9SR8yMusaNYg

Blog Entries

I'd sure love to see the odd-fancy octo! Pix please.

11. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by William Smith View Post
    I'd sure love to see the odd-fancy octo! Pix please.
    Me too! Spruce and mahogany, and all that bling. wow!
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    You could buy this one and use it complete. Or if you are careful, you might be able to take the "crown" from yours and replace the "wrist rest". I am assuming the key part is the same on both.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/39464467526...Bk9SR8yMusaNYg
    I'm already watching that listing! I was able to get the crown cover off of mine so it'll be easy enough to swap out, I'm tempted to see if he relists it lower but $45 wouldn't be the end of the world.

Teacher, repair person

I know it's an obnoxious saying, but it does fit this situation: "find another one."
    If it was me, I wouldn't wait.

Here are some pictures. I think it would've originally started out with a sunburst on the top, but it was bare when I got it (The splotches on the bass sides are my color tests, I'll re-sand it before actually finishing it). The back is in decent shape as well, when I got it the missing binding was filled in with wood filler. I ordered some .5mm white binding to replace the missing section. The cutaway with binding has shrunk past the point so I'm tempted to replace that too. The side crack is the worst thing about it, I'm tempted to just refinish the whole side but I'll see what I can do before resorting to that.

Name:	IMG_2297.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	207824Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2298.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	207825Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2299.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	207826Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2300.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	879.9 KB 
ID:	207827Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2269.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	996.4 KB 
ID:	207828

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sam Brown For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Brown View Post
    What's most unique is the tailpiece, it's shaped like a crown and engraved. What's sad is it looks like someone cut off all of the loop hooks. I think they were using ball end strings, sticking the string through the hole and having the string rest on the top...
    That tailpiece is the same shape and construction of Washburn mandolins and since there is a L&H/Regal connection that is not anything surprising. I bet you can find another base for a Washburn mandolin and swap out the top. I may even have one. I will look.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I trust you won the tailpiece on eBay. Here's an old Washburn with the same tailpiece made about 1910. If you need not win the tailpiece you could bid for this mandolin which looks pretty good and use the tailpiece substituting it for another. It looks like quite a nice mandolin.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36428205500...92cc%7Ciid%3A1

Well its got strings on it and doesn't sound too bad!

Name:	IMG_2581.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	208256

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sam Brown For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Nice! I have a sunburst top finished one that needs help someday. They came in burst top and natural to my knowledge.