Thread: Gold Tone F-6 Manditar (Mando-Guitar) Strings?

Default Gold Tone F-6 Manditar (Mando-Guitar) Strings?

I recently purchased a Gold Tone F-6 just to play around with (my curiosity got the best of me), and I was wondering if anyone else here has experience with them, and what type of strings most folks are using on these?

I saw that Gold Tone offers a custom set for them (.008 to .042w), but I am considering trying out electric guitar strings in a similar gauge. Has anyone else tried this? Or is there another string you would recommend? The Gold Tone set may be the best choice, I was just curious if anyone has tried anything different, and how the results were.

Also, I tried searching the forum for other posts about these F-6's, but I didn't find much. That being said, I apologize if this topic has been covered in the past.

Any input is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Gold Tone F-6 Manditar (Mando-Guitar) Strings?

i tried this thing at a guitar store. i found the standard guitar chords are not comfortable - mandolin size neck is too narrow and frets are too close together. like playing a guitar with capo 7 or capo 9. i figure it only exists because modern cad tools and build-to-order factories make it cheap to pump out all combinations of {guitar,mandolin,banjo} bodies with {4-string,5-string,6-string,8-string,12-string} necks and gold tone did not want to leave an empty slot in their combinatorial lineup. there was a recent discussion on converting it to mandolin or tenor lute (4-string), i forget which.

Default Re: Gold Tone F-6 Manditar (Mando-Guitar) Strings?

I just got mine Friday, so I haven't had a lot of time to play with it yet, but my initial impressions of it are not terrible.

The neck is a little bit uncomfortable, but to me it feels very wide for the short scale length. I like the sounds though, and I think that once I get used to it a bit, it may be great for doubling guitar parts on recordings. It doesn't sound like a mandolin, more like a high strung guitar, but I'm anxious to see how Nickel wound strings will affect the tone. I'll know more in a few days as I spend more time with it, and get a fresh set of string put on it.