Thread: Most comfortable neck shape

Default Most comfortable neck shape

Hey all,
    Without announcing my own preferences, I would like to hear what other folks find to be the most comfortable neck shape for their playing. Additionally, I am also interested in the "why" of what you find comfortable and if it relates to the style of music you play and/or the way your fretting hand interacts with the neck (i.e. more use of the thumb or more use of the vee between the thumb and first finger).

I really appreciate folks' thoughts on this!
    Dan

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: Most comfortable neck shape

With the caveat that tastes vary, as do anatomies and experiences, my preference is for a narrow V-profile. It just feels intuitive, whereas too much meat in the shoulders — as in a C, D, or U-profile — seems like an impediment or an obstruction.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Answers will vary. I rarely use my thumb for fretting but find a "U" and "V" neck near equally comfortable but give the nod to the "V". The "V" allows me to anchor my thumb to reach easier with my fretting fingers. I have found a few "V" necks that I thought were too pronounced.
    I find a larger difference between other factors. i.e. nut width, slim or fat necks, and radius or flat fret board. I prefer a 1 !/8 neck vs. a 1 1/16 nut. I prefer a radius board when picking melody and a flat board for chording. Fat necks do not accommodate my not so large hands.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

I am a fan of V necks. My large index finger joint gets fatigued with other necks with too much shoulder on them. I have large hands and longer fingers and tend to play in the V of my thumb and index finger and not with my thumb like a classical guitarist.

Blog Entries

I prefer a C (or D depending on the point of view) profile neck. My F-9 came with a V profile and it really hurt my left thumb... I didn't realize how much it hurt until I got a Michael Kelly F style with a C profile neck. Shortly after that when I needed to get new frets on my F-9, I also had the neck gently re-profiled to a C profile and also had it speed-necked. I've really been happy with that neck since then.

As years have passed I'm thinking some of the thumb pain was probably early signs of arthritis, but I still prefer a C profile neck.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

As a builder and not much of a mandolin player, it is obvious to me that the majority of my customers prefer what I refer to as a parabola shape. It is not a rounded U,D,C, nor is it a V with a pronounced "crest" down the center of the back. It is a shape that fits the hand, and that is how I shape it. No templates, just carve away until it feels right.
    If a customer has a custom neck shape in mind we go with that, but few are the individuals who don't like the standard parabolic shape.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the thoughts all. I have played a narrow sharp V for many years and am now playing a U/C shape (more shoulders than the V). I was just wondering if more folks leaned one way or the other. Still searching for the perfect neck shape. Ha!
    Dan

Really don't have a huge preference. My main instruments all have different shapes and width. Do have one dislike, a larger sharp V shape. Like 1930's Gibson A models (and related Kalamazoo). For some reason my hand starts to really ache after playing one for a while.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Blog Entries

I'm more similar to what John has described. I like the V shape of my Eastman mandolin. My main mandolin has a more custom shape of a C or U on the treble side and a V on the bass with a facet. Look at post 34 here.

Neck shapes and mass vary by persona, style, skill and technique. Like someone who really likes the more substantial Weber neck may not like the Eastman narrower V feel. There's no WRONG answer, just what's right for you. Well maybe a sticky or sandpaper neck would be a bad answer.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

You might want to also look at this thread from 2016.

I started out preferring a U profile but have found a soft V is my happy place
    2020 Northfield Big Mon
    2016 Skip Kelley A5
    2011 Weber Gallatin A20
    2021 Northfield Flattop Octave Mandolin
    2019 Pono Flattop Octave
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop
    And a few electrics

If someone had the technical capacity and willingness to do it, a neck map/diagram for common luthiers could be really helpful! Amazing actually. Can you imagine if we all had access to makers' neck shapes (for those that do a standard shape) say at the first and at the ninth fret?!?!?! I think that would be super cool.

But, I don't have the 3d scanning/CAD/whatever else I don't understand experience to make it happen.
    Dan

neck profile shape doesn't bother as much as fretboard radius. Collings and Northfield use a 5.5" radius along the first position and that kills my fretting hand. i find 7.25" onward until total flat is achieved works fine for me.

a neck that gets really deep and thick as it travels to the heel also kills my left hand. i much prefer a slim depth neck that stays that way all the way.

i'm good with soft V and round, don't care so much for the U shape.

i will reshape a neck(on mandolin, guitar, banjo), if thats the only thing bothering my playing of an instrument.

d

Quote Originally Posted by danoNC View Post
    If someone had the technical capacity and willingness to do it, a neck map/diagram for common luthiers could be really helpful! Amazing actually. Can you imagine if we all had access to makers' neck shapes (for those that do a standard shape) say at the first and at the ninth fret?!?!?! I think that would be super cool.

But, I don't have the 3d scanning/CAD/whatever else I don't understand experience to make it happen.
    Dan

A builder sent me this when we were discussing neck shape. I'm a U-shape guy myself.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xxx.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	160.2 KB 
ID:	208093

16. The following members say thank you to nick delmore for this post:

Right now one of my mandocellos is away with a luthier getting its neck shaved. I found the 'shoulders' made it difficult and uncomfortable to play. Going by Nick's diagram, it left the factory with a "D" shape, more of a rectangle with rounded corners and it will be coming back more like the U.

My Collings MT is a v-neck - it's very comfortable to play, as is my Eastman 515V, which is a softer V than the Collings. I also have a Big Muddy, which has more of a U Shape and it is less comfortable than i would like - that is the one thing I would change about it.

Before the Collings, I had a very nice 2004 Weber Yellowstone. I don't recall what the neck shape was, but I found it very difficult to play. It was very difficult for me to fret the d note on the A string without hitting other strings - I tried all kinds of different things and I couldn't resoove it even after a couple of years. When I picked up a Collings at a festival, it was so much smoother for me. So I sold the Weber. I always thought it must have been related to the neck shape vs my grip.
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

No favorites here. I get used to whatever I'm playing pretty quickly. Might come from when I didn't have a guitar and was always playing other people's.
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

20. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by nick delmore View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xxx.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	160.2 KB 
ID:	208093
    Very good summary.

Anything that looks like the D there hurts my hand after a while, the U would be OK, but the "soft V" works best for me, and is what I aim for when carving: basically keep carving until you've removed enough material to "get out of the way" of the hand. Due to the narrow neck on a mandolin, what you're left with is necessarily somewhat V shaped, but there's no need to make it super-pointy as that can be tiring to play on too.

Blog Entries

V or V-ish profile is my preference. It keeps my thumb above the center of the neck and helps keep the neck out of the crotch of my hand (preserve the mouse hole). By doing so my hand orientation at the "fiddle" angle is much more comfortable.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....