Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts: Eastman MD 815 / Kentucky KM 1050 as next step

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Default Re: Thoughts: Eastman MD 815 / Kentucky KM 1050 as next step

The 815/v is still on the short list for my next mandolin, but I'm slowly expanding my options. For another thousand you have the options of the Kentucky 1500, the Northfield F5S, or the Bourgeois M5F.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by SMWMS View Post
    So I just thought I would post an update if anyone is interested. I spent some time with the used (2019) Kentucky 1050 from Elderly. It had great tone and volume and was a really nice instrument, but it just didn't "feel" right. as much as I wanted to bond with it, I couldn't, something int he feel was just off. Ultimately I ended up sending it back, but I am sure it will find a good home. If you see it up again for sale, I can certainly say it is a nice piece if it feels right for you. Next I order an Eastman 815 from TMS and Zach there was great to work with. I received it the other day and it playing it was night and day compared to the 1050 for me. It immediately just felt right. While it may not have the full tone and volume of the 1050 yet, it is already opening up and I am enjoying it and always look forward to picking it up and playing. The moral of the story is the old, try them if you can. I can certainly say that both Elderly and TMS are great to work with and, as someone who doesn't have a shop nearby to try them in, I can say that the process of trying them out and returning if needed is smooth. Find one you bond with and if not, don't feel that you are stuck. Thank you all for your input and thoughts!
    -Scott
    Congratulations, Scott, and enjoy playing it every day!

IÂ’d go with the Kentucky. TheyÂ’re quality starter mandolins, and I personally think itÂ’s better to have all solid wood. Also, you tend to get more quality for the money going with an A-style over an F-style.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoothmando View Post
    I’d go with the Kentucky. They’re quality starter mandolins, and I personally think it’s better to have all solid wood. Also, you tend to get more quality for the money going with an A-style over an F-style.
    Aren't the Eastman all solid wood?

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Statman View Post
    Aren't the Eastman all solid wood?
    Yes

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan in NH For This Useful Post: