Thread: Old Kentucky A Style Info.

Default Old Kentucky A Style Info.

Looking for some info on this Kentucky A style i got from my Dad. Tobacco color, with a burst on the neck. No serial number visible (unless im not looking in the right place?) Snakehead headstock, appears to be a carved top. Someone 'ebonyized' the fretboard and my hands are stained after playing. It has a sweet sound, it needs some fretwork, but ive played some more modern Eastmans whose necks fit my hand better (Im a flatpicker) and im wondering of a rough value/prestige of this mando to think about getting the frets done and the back seam glued. Again im a flatpicker and this guy is just to noodle around in and get into playing tunes in fifths and Im in no rush for repairs. Any advice/info is welcome.

Photos posted here on imgur cuz theres no upload option here?
    https://imgur.com/gallery/dGWIcCi

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Old Kentucky A Style Info.

Looks like a lower-end model to me.
    Value? Unless I'm missing something, not very much.
    Prestige? That's a matter of opinion, but to me, it's just a student grade import.

I would limit your repair budget on this one. Except for minor work, it would probably be more practical to put most of your money towards a mid-grade Eastman 505, which is most likely going to be a noticeably better instrument. Prices have gone up, but there are still a few floating around new for $850 [go to "classifieds" and type 505 into the search bar]. You can find them used closer to $600.

My guess is it is a South Korean-made KM-250. I don't think they used the Korean shop very long, and I think they transitioned to China around 2001 or 2002. Don't confuse it with the new KM-250, which sells for north of $500. As said above, the value is not very much. That said, if it's playable, it should be fine for seeing if you want to continue with the mandolin.

This look s just like the Kentucky mandolin I bought new in 1989. Their claim to fame was that the top was solid and they were cheap. It could be anywhere from there forward. I bought mine from Stan Jay at Mandolin Bros and sold it in the late 90's. I think mine was made in Japan. Is there still a label inside the sound holes?

For posterity and yes you can upload images here (I have no idea what's happening with that thumbnail):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kentucky2.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	872.8 KB 
ID:	208025   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kentucky1.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	208024   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kentucky3.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	3.23 MB 
ID:	208028  

"It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I suspect you're right, Mike. IIRC the Korean models had some kind of ornamentation on the headstock. Still, I owned some MIJ Kentuckys years ago, including some 200 series models, and none looked like this. But with Saga, you never really know. I'm not sure Saga even really knows.

Thanks for the insight guys. There is no label present. MikeEgertons reply seems to be the most accurate according to my dad's admission of the period in which he started playing (late 80s). As for playability theres some serious pitting, and im having trouble getting clean notes tho that may be my technique. I opted to borrow his 1912 Gibson A1 as the fatter neck works a little better for me, but that also needs some work but will benefit from it more from a value standpoint. Still focusing on my flatpicking more so this is all just a fascination.