Thread: Humidity Control Inside the Case

Default Humidity Control Inside the Case

I just replenished the Boveda packs I use to keep my cigar humidors at 72%. They work great. The hand-out that came with my order showed an acoustic guitar in the case. They are marketing their product to us.

Any experience with these kind of packs inside the case? Thanks in advance.
    Bob D.

Default Re: Humidity Control Inside the Case

I've recently received two mandos, both vintage and of a price, that had Boveda packs in the cases. It's made me wonder about how well these work (and without an in-case hygrometer how do you know if it is working or not)?

I think they're amazing. I use the 49% ones (which they indeed market as perfect for stringed instruments) in all of my cases, and when I first started using them, I'd check the cases with my hydrometer and it almost always read between about 46-52. At all times of the year. Even in just zippered up gig bags. When I grab an instrument, they're almost always in tune and I don't have to deal with water at all. I replace them when they get hard, and have some last up to a year. I highly recommend them.

Thanks adam. Gotta have a hygrometer. There are several sizes (L x W) available. What size do you use for which instrument?
    Bob D.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bartl View Post
    I've recently received two mandos, both vintage and of a price, that had Boveda packs in the cases. It's made me wonder about how well these work (and without an in-case hygrometer how do you know if it is working or not)?
    My octave goes up and down by about 1/8 tone with the weather over a couple of days so I guess a fair test would be to leave the instrument in the case and open the lid quickly twice a day. Each time you open the lid you pluck a string to check the pitch.

Or more directly you could use a hygrometer, I'm not sure if they're so expensive. (You can get cheap humidity sensors for arduinos).

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_d View Post
    Thanks adam. Gotta have a hygrometer. There are several sizes (L x W) available. What size do you use for which instrument?
    I just have one hygrometer. I just spot check the cases from time to time. I put it in the case, leave it in there for an hour or so and check the humidity level. Otherwise I just keep it out in my music room so that I know if I can leave instruments out of their case if I want to. It's one of the basic digital ones on amazon.

I have used Boveda packs in all of my instruments for years. I suggest using them with the Boveda Saddle bags. I generally keep two suspended in the saddle bags in guitars and one in a saddle bag inside the mandolin cases.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber