Thread: Bourgeois M5A

Default Bourgeois M5A

yall keep up with things more than I do but Not wanting to spend a bunch of moolah, sho wish Eastman would build an MD304 Oval Hole with a wider nut width like this one here 1 5/32", less brightness, woodier, wider nut width and no bling. A 1 5/32 nut would hit the nail on the head. I really like a mandolin for various genres. I did email Eastman asking about future builds with wide-nut since they have teamed up with Bourgeois and at least got this reply

"Thank you for reaching out. There are no plans at this time for a Eastman mandolin with a wider nut width but it is certainly something we will consider for future new models".

The Eastman Support Team

Bourgeois M5A
    Neck: Aged Tone Maple
    Tuners: Golden Age - Satin Nickel
    Finish: Standard - High Gloss
    Nut Width: 1 5/32"
    Scale Length: 13 7/8"
    Body Binding: Ivoroid
    Fretboard Binding: Ivoroid
    Last edited by CBFrench; Jun-06-2023 at 9:11pm.

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Default Re: Bourgeois M5A

I've got the Bourgeois F body on my short list for my next mandolin.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Also, until very recently I was firmly in the Wide Nut camp. Two things happened. First, I actually played a wide nut mando. Second, I learned that I can indeed fret two courses with one finger, something that I thought was simply beyond me. Now a standard nut doesn't seem such a turn off.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

I don't know that 1/32" in nut width would make a great deal of difference unless the strings were also spaced wider and closer to the edge of the fretboard. Most wide nut mandos I've seen have been 1 - 3/8" nuts. Eastman mandos do seem to have wide healthy string spacing, especially compared to some blugrasser mandolins.

To me, the bigger factor would be tone. Eastmans tend to be loud and full, especially for their price point. I've only heard the Bourgeois mandos on YouTube recordings but was not impressed by the tone, especially considering what their flat top guitars sound like. Sadly, $3k is where good mandolin tone begins these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Berto Boy View Post
    To me, the bigger factor would be tone. Eastmans tend to be loud and full, especially for their price point. I've only heard the Bourgeois mandos on YouTube recordings but was not impressed by the tone, especially considering what their flat top guitars sound like. Sadly, $3k is where good mandolin tone begins these days.
    That’s because Bourgeoius have their own factory for their guitars, while their mandolins are made by Eastman. I would expect Bourgeoius mandolins to sound similar but a bit more refined than Eastmans considering the fancier materials and higher price, but it’s really hard to tell what a mandolin really sounds like till you play it.
    I guess I'll just stay right here, pick and sing a while...
    2022 Morris F5 #482, 1995 Flatiron 2MB, 2013 Don Kawalek flat top, 2004 Eastman 805