Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a "master luthier"?

Default What is a "master luthier"?

I have seen this term around and about, often in descriptions in classified ads. "This mando was set up by master luthier so and so." etc.

So, what is a master luthier? Is this an officially sanctioned encomium bestowed by some regulatory outfit? Some kind of honor? Or just what someone decides to call himself?
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Default Re: What is a "master luthier"?

I believe Master in this case is from an ancient Freblonian phrase meaning "in my opinion REALLY good".

3. The following members say thank you to Magnus Geijer for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Marketing
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

This is something that use to be official a couple hundred years ago. But part of what made the United States different from Europe is that there were no guilds to bestow these titles. So anyone can declare themselves a Master Luthier.
    Dave Schneider

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PT66 For This Useful Post:

Mandolin & Mandola maker

Anyone calling himself a "master " luthier is some one with an overblown ego using it for some sort of marketing advantage. I prefer "experienced", because that is actually true.
    Peter Coombe - mandolins, mandolas and guitars
    http://www.petercoombe.com

In olden days when there were craft - trade guilds, a master was someone who had shown proficency in their discipline. A "Master Piece" was an item created to show that they had mastered that craft. Today, like many things, you can be one simply by saying you are one.
    " Give me some words I can dance to and a melody that rhymes" - Steve Goodman

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tjmangum For This Useful Post:

Well, if a state can figure a way to attach a license and fee to some trade, it will use those ancient guild terms. Most places, there is such a thing as a master plumber or electrician, but in my state sadly, very often a license starts with ‘limited’. In NY, a Master Falconer can possess up to 13 raptors and engage in activities not allowed for Journeymen. Predictably, some states use a college masters degree to categorize a ‘master’, which almost makes sense. Fortunately, my doctorate doesn’t provide an opening for annual fees anywhere - so far.
    Any time-traveller from the middle ages would be aghast that we don’t have sensible trade designations.
    Other uses of the designation ‘master’ I’m afraid get us into swiftly-changing semantics, and are therefore, dangerous.

There is an organization that is called The GUILD of American Luthiers. But it does not in any was bestow titles on any of its members.
    Dave Schneider

Likes quaint instruments poul hansen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tjmangum View Post
    In olden days when there were craft - trade guilds, a master was someone who had shown proficency in their discipline. A "Master Piece" was an item created to show that they had mastered that craft. Today, like many things, you can be one simply by saying you are one.
    Yes. The guild would only allow you to work as a tradesman after passing an apprentice test but you could only set up shop and take in apprentices after making your master piece. And the tradesmen and apprentices would call you "master".

Before becoming a master in Scandinavian countries, you had to go "walk about" for three years and a day in foreign countries, to learn your trade and educate yourself.

The power of the guilds was stopped by law 150 years ago but you still call your boss " master" today.
    Kentucky KM-805..........2 Hora M1086 Portuguese II(1 in car)
    Hora M1088 Mandola.....
    Richmond RMA-110..... .Noname Bearclaw
    Pochette Franz Janisch...5 Pocket............Alfredo Privitera pocket
    Puglisi Pocket 1908........Puglisi 1912.......Puglisi 1917
    3 Mandolinetto ..............C.Garozzo
    1 Mandriola...................Cannelo G. Mandriola...Bφhm Waldzither 1921
    Johs Mψller 1945............Luigi Embergher Studio 1933
    Marma Seashell back......Luigi Embergher 5bis 1909

13. The following members say thank you to poul hansen for this post:

Don’t know about the US but, in the UK, the formal address for adult males without formal qualifications has traditionally been “Mister” (Mr) whilst male children are referred to as “Master”.

Quote Originally Posted by poul hansen View Post
    Yes. The guild would only allow you to work as a tradesman after passing an apprentice test but you could only set up shop and take in apprentices after making your master piece. And the tradesmen and apprentices would call you "master".

Before becoming a master in Scandinavian countries, you had to go "walk about" for three years and a day in foreign countries, to learn your trade and educate yourself.

The power of the guilds was stopped by law 150 years ago but you still call your boss " master" today.
    It's still like that in Germany for certain trades/crafts, especially those, where advocacy groups ("guilds") managed to set up official regulations by claiming that certain standards must be met in safety and quality – of course all for the benefit of the customer. After passing the apprentice test (and work in that trade for a few years up until recently), which allows you to officially call yourself "Geselle" ("Journeyman"), you can apply for a "Meisterbrief" ("master craftman's diploma"; "master's certificate"). You not only have to provide a master piece, but also prove good knowledge of your chosen craft, business management, safety rules, accounting, pedagogy &c. Preparing for that "Meisterbrief" (which may entail attending a special business school in some trades) takes about 1 – 2 years of intensive training. The "Meisterbrief" allows you to officially call yourself "Meister", set up your own workshop and train apprentices. I've been a "master of pipe organ making" for 20+ years, which - hopefully - lends to some sort of marketing advantage. "Overblown ego"?

Pontification is what you invite, not clarification.
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

I’m assuming that it’s a lot like being a Jedi Master.

You know, force and all.
    Eastman MD515 mandolin
    Gretsch G9310 mandolin
    Eastman MDO305E-SB octave mandolin
    Eastman E20om guitar
    Vega Little Wonder tenor banjo
    Epiphone El Capitan acoustic bass

18. The following members say thank you to Mando Esq for this post:

times change ... I have lived long enough to have gone from being my dog's "master" to now being his "parent"

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

I would dare say most of the luthiers I have ever met were just people that had a strong desire to build or repair musical instruments and very few entered the industry to make millions of dollars but some have managed to make a decent living. Some went to school to get a start and many more of them picked up the trade over the years they spent doing it. Take my word for it, that is the hard way. The luthiers that I know personally might cringe at that tag but there are many that I would consider in the category and some frequent this Cafe that we apparently all enjoy. They are the one's that actually know what they are talking about and most give advice freely. I'm more concerned with instant experts that give advice freely that haven't a clue but that's another story. Yes, there is no governing body in the field that bestows the title but give these men and women their due. As humorous as many seem to find this it's what they do for a living and to feed their families. Even if you have a factory built instrument somewhere along the way somebody that was really good at the art of the luthier was involved. If this is the worst example of a misused term you can find then you live a sheltered life.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

A good question Jaycat and an interesting discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by poul hansen View Post
    I don't doubt for a moment Poul, that what you say is true in "Danmark". Not so much here in the U.S.A.. If I were to call my boss "master", he'd most likely think I was being sarcastic. And oddly (predictably?) enough, the use of the word itself has recently been deemed inappropriate in some circles.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

“ I've been a "master of pipe organ making" for 20+ years, which - hopefully - lends to some sort of marketing advantage. "Overblown ego"?‘
    I would think that overblowing would be an apprentice error in that trade.

25. The following members say thank you to Richard500 for this post:

Trade guilds have been mentioned here, something I've always been interested in learning more about. Can anyone recommend a good book or documentary on this topic?

Many years ago the discussion came up at the shop of my former employer. As we worked on instruments one day we asked ourselves; 'what is a "master" luthier?'
    As one can imagine, the discussion was a lot like this one, and it inspired me to have this business card printed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slave-card.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	207973

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

My hypothesis is that "master luthier" is more commonly used by non-luthier owners trying to add value to an instrument they are selling (e.g, "set up by a master luthier"), rather than by the luthiers themselves. I've had work done by a number of very talented and experienced luthiers, none of whom referred to themselves as "Masters". However, a quick search for "master luthier" does come up with a few self-identified Masters.

Master luthiers don't have to make their own coffee.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrmando For This Useful Post:

The term does not have a lot of meaning without an intact apprenticeship and certification system. In most states the building trades are the only trades which have maintained such a system. It is enforced by the building codes in the states. In the state where I live there are journeyman and master plumber, pipefitter and electrician licenses which are still maintained and required to do work covered by building codes and inspections. The apprenticeships are administered by the unions and enforced by the state with required tests and regular relicensing.

When I worked in the tool and die trade, in the 1970s up into the 1990s, the apprenticeship system was dying out for a lot of reasons mostly relating to no one wanting to pay for it or administer it. The machinist union did still maintain a journeyman's classification at that time, which I got after 6 years of work in the trade under supervision of journeymen. There was also a four year apprenticeship option but no one in our area had an apprenticeship program any more. The master classification had already gone away.

It is similar to the "acoustic engineer " term which has been discussed here before. Some states require a person who advertises themselves as an engineer to have state licensing, at least for work that may affect public safety. But it is rarely enforced. A lot of people call themselves "engineers" who were unwilling or unable to put in the work and effort to get the actual education.

Jack Lawrence will refer to himself as a "journeyman guitarist" in his e-mail signature. That is a bit of an understatement.

Charles Sawtelle, on the other hand, was said to have a business card saying "Charles Sawtelle, Expert" much like Wiley Coyote's business card proclaiming his Supergenius status. It would be interesting to see the apprenticeship program and licensing test for both of those.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlM View Post
    ... A lot of people call themselves "engineers" who were unwilling or unable to put in the work and effort to get the actual education...
    That one is even stickier. I have the certification from two large companies as a Network Engineer. I had the knowledge to pass the exams. The only time that title would come out would be if someone asked what certs I held in a job interview. But getting back to self promotion, I have no problems with someone identifying themselves as a Master Luthier but I might question anyone other than Joseph Bohmann that made the same claims he did.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The worlds greatest musical instrument manufacturer.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	207975   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bohmann.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	207974  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

As I've said many times, to customers, other luthiers, aspiring luthiers etc., there are no credentials in this business; no training required, no license requited, anyone who has done a fret job more-or-less successfully is free to hang out a shingle and call him/herself a luthier, or even a master luthier.
    All we really have to back our claim beyond that is our reputation, so we'd better do our best.
    I've observed myself being referred to as a master luthier, but it is a title I do not self-apply.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

"Master Luthier" would be the next step up from "Pretty Good Luthier," or "Not Bad Luthier."
    2010 Campanella A-5
    1923 Gibson A2

37. The following members say thank you to DCHammers for this post: