Thread: mandolin bridge

Default mandolin bridge

I need a new bridge that maybe should be higher than normal because I cant turn the truss rod.

Blog Entries

Default Re: mandolin bridge

I would get a set up, before you decide. It might be you need a higher bridge, or it might be bridge placement, or one of several other things. I had what I thought was a similar problem, and it turned out I needed the neck reset.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

If the neck is not straight and you feel the truss rod needs adjustment this should be done before anything else. If will not turn find out why. There is an order that things should be done in.
    Dave Schneider

Curious about neck resets on mandolins. My current design has the back plate locking the bottom (heel) of the neck. It would seem near impossible to reset such a neck. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassdan View Post
    I need a new bridge that maybe should be higher than normal because I cant turn the truss rod.
    Contact Cumberland Acoustic. They make great bridges.
    “Mandolin brands are a guide, not Gospel “
    - Data Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Mike OMelia View Post
    Curious about neck resets on mandolins. My current design has the back plate locking the bottom (heel) of the neck. It would seem near impossible to reset such a neck. Thoughts?
    "Near impossible" is pretty accurate. It's even more complicated than it looks, actually, if binding is involved. That doesn't mean it is actually impossible, just that it's not a fun job and not something you want to do the first time on a rare or expensive instrument.

There are some great mandolins and mandolin-family instruments out there which are, in fact, impossible to do neck reset (at least, not without completely disassembling the sides from the plates and blocks). In those cases, a wedged fretboard can be made to re-establish correct neck geometry, which can be a perfectly acceptable solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike OMelia View Post
    Well Mike. Most of my experience is with guitars. Usually when you need a neck reset on a guitar it is because the action has gotten too low. I would think that neck resets on a mandolin would be rare. And if you did need one it would be because the neck joint had failed. In which case some would maybe saw through the back plate to separate the heel cap from the back.
    Dave Schneider

Every neck reset I have done on a guitar was because the action was too high, not too low. Typo?
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Every neck reset I have done on a guitar was because the action was too high, not too low. Typo?
    You are right. I guess I was thinking that the neck needed to be reset because the saddle couldn’t be made any lower. I would guess that arch top mandolins don’t suffer from the same issues as flat top guitars.
    Dave Schneider

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Very good point to the OP. 90% of my builds are guitars, having only recently gotten into mandolins. As I was putting this mandolin together it occured to me the neck joint was a forever thing. So I had better get it right from the start. My guitar neck joint style is bolt on M&T. Very easy to reset.

BTW, I think cumberland sells a bridge called the "tall boy". It is about 0.1" or so taller.

You can do some serious damage tightening the truss rod too much. Besides that is not the proper way to correct action. Take it to the luthier before you damage your mandolin further.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

This is a 100 dollar Saga kit mandolin I put together that is over 10 years old which sounds pretty good. Actually better than the Eastman 515 mandolin that I never play. Not looking for a neck set.

Regardless of the value of the instrument or it’s age or origin the truss rod is not meant to adjust action. It is meant to adjust relief in the neck. Action is adjusted at the bridge given that the nut is cut correctly.
    Dave Schneider

Cumberland Acoustics offers extra tall bridges. I would check out heir website. In the "saddle height" button the offer a "Tall Boy" option.
    Mitch Russell

Got a new bridge. It has a gap in the middle. Do I sand the feet down right to the gap? Its a long way to go.

Not unless you want a one piece bridge foot. Just fit it to the top, Most bridges are two foot, one is an option.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

should each foot be flush with the top leaving the gap open

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassdan View Post
    should each foot be flush with the top leaving the gap open
    The two feet should be fitted to the top with the gap left open assuming it's a two footed bridge and it sounds like that is what it is. Bridges are made with feet and as a single solid base. You've apparently got feet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bridge.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	208340  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber