Thread: Hello & looking for suggestions

Hey guys / gals. I've been reading the posts here for a while now. Just wanted to say that after somehow convincing myself that I needed a mandolin (you can blame Flogging Molly for that) I finally decided to get one. Its cheap - really really cheap, sounds like plastic, but plays okay after trimming the bridge down a bit. My wife won't let me buy a "real" one until I pay off my new Taylor (played guitar for 11 years or so).

Two questions:

Would like to find a decent oval hole between $600-900. I really liked a MK I played, but would like to try some Eastmans as well. A style is fine, though I DO like to ornamentations on some of the fancier F holes. I understand that I can get more out of my money for an A style. Looking to play more celtic / renaissance / classical / irish, really not so much into bluegrass. I know this is asked a lot, but with consideration to the celtic sound - any thoughts on who to check out and what to look for?

I ordered a book - Celtic Encyclopedia: Mandolin Edition (Mel Bay) - but I'm also looking for some music online. I've done some searching and found mostly bluegrass - specifically looking to find celtic / renaissance / irish / gypsy stuff, preferably with midi files. Does anyone know of websites with free music in these styles? Or suggestions on other books?

Thanks,
    Bryon
    Weber Hyalite mandola
    Rigel A Natural
    Epiphone Riviera
    1920s Tenor banjo

I would look for one of the less pricey teens Gibson A's. Every now and then, you can find one in your range, usually one that is showing some wear, but may still play and sound very good. Just FYI, there is a beautiful A-1 on the Classifieds for $1075. I know that is a little out of your range, but that one made me wish I were in the market!

For online music and midis try the BBC "virtual sessions" at the link below:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/r2music/folk/sessions/

Either the Eastman or the MK would be fine in that price range. Even a somewhat cheaper Mid-Mo might be perfect for you at this stage.

When looking for music don't forget violin music works fine on the mandolin. Check Elderly Instruments for their list of books. Almost any collection of fiddle tunes not specifically meant for bluegrass or old-time players will be fine. I would avoid The Mandolin Picker's Fakebook, for instance. It's not a bad book just not celtic style.

Well, it will be some months before I have the Taylor paid off. I haven't ruled out the classifieds though.
    Weber Hyalite mandola
    Rigel A Natural
    Epiphone Riviera
    1920s Tenor banjo

Take a look at the Mid-Missouri mandolins, too. Mid-Mo's get lots of respect here as great sounding and well built oval hole mandolins. I think they make excellent celtic mandolins, as do the teens Gibsons and oval Martins. Besides, you could easily stay within your budget with a Mid-Mo. Granted, they aren't as pretty as an F5, but is it about looking good, or sounding good?

I second the BBC link above, it's a great resource. Another couple resources are the TablEdit files stored at MandoZine.com (you'll need to download the tabledit viewer) and a couple books called the Portland Collection (mostly contra-dance music played around the northwest, but it's a great collection of Irish music).

If I had a $900 budget for a Celtic sounding mandolin I'd immediately go buy a Mid-Mo and a case of Bushmill's to take to sessions (one flask at a time) for the next year. But that's just me.

Enjoy your quest,
    Ken
    Less talk, more pick.

My Washburn M1SDL is lower priced that you quate as your range, but I (and others who have played it or own one) think it is on par with more expensive ones as far as playability and sound. But I have heard there is some inconsistency and that I got a really good one, so if you can play one at a music store that would be best.
    "First you master your instrument, then you master the music, then you forget about all that ... and just play"
    Charlie "Bird" Parker

From what I been reading in these posts, it kinda goes like this:
    Buy a Pac-Rim of a Mid- Mo.
    Then after about a month of two - when you've become an expert - buy something expensive.
    God bless and be well.

Thanks for the suggestions. There's a place not too far away that carries the Mid-Mo. I'll go check em out.

Should I be concerned about the non-adjustable trussrod? I know I'd never buy a guitar like that.
    Weber Hyalite mandola
    Rigel A Natural
    Epiphone Riviera
    1920s Tenor banjo

Quote Originally Posted by
    Should I be concerned about the non-adjustable trussrod? I know I'd never buy a guitar like that.
    Some will disagree, but it seems to me that trussrods are not as critical in mandos, due to the shorter neck. There are mandos without trussrods at all that do very well even after many years. Non-adjustable truss rods seem to do just fine and a lot builders, including some high-end, use them. Also, with Mid-mo, thier customer service has a great reputation. If there is ever a neck problem, my prediction is they would fix it for free and quickly.

I agree with Mando Johnny. The scale is so short that neck bowing is much less of a problem on mandolins than on guitars. After nearly 30 years I've had any number of minor problems with several mandos, but personally never had a bowed or twisted neck on one.

Spend the night in a Holiday Day Inn Express and you'll end up buying a Mid Mo.

GVD
    GVD

I got my hands on a Mid Mo. I really like the models with the wider neck. I got to try the M1, M2 and M4 models. I think I liked the tone on the M4 best. I was at another shop and tried some MKs again too. The Legacy Deluxe seemed to me to have the best feel on the neck and a nice sound to boot. The guy at the shop told me I could get a more open tone with some different strings - true? I only wish I could try out both in the same store.

I will say that at the store with the Mid Mo - I was completely ignored, no "Hello" or "Thanks for coming in" - Vs the smaller shop with the Mks - I was in there for an hour and a half. I told the guy that I wouldn't be buying for at least a few months and he still sat me down and brought me mando after mando, talked about music and playing guitar (he does as well), differences in the mandolins he was handing me. No pressure either. Picked up a couple books, made my purchase and talked for another half hour after that. He doesn't carry Mid-Mo, but I do know that I'll probably be back to him to buy something. Somehow I think the service will be much better.

I always chime in on MKs. I have two and they are like a couple of old friends. They always seem to have an edge over other pacrim competitors. See if you can try an Eastman too. They are a few hundred dollars more than the MKs, but well worth it. They are unmatched in that price range for fit, finish and overall appearance.

The Mid Mo is one I havent tried yet, but they sure carry high marks from the folks on this forum. I think I would have to at least play one before I make my next purchase.
    " Eastman 514 #31 "

If you're OK with a used instrument, you might look for a Weber Y2K, <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Weber-Aspen-2-Mandolin-W-Case-GREAT-SHAPE_W0QQitemZ7362473402QQcategoryZ10179QQssPageN ameZ
    WDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">Aspen</a> or an oval hole Hyalite. All quite nice instruments (I have a Hyalite myself).
    (This space available)

In my opinion, hands down the best oval hole in your price range is a Bill Davis Flattop. #jjboone was kind enough to let me play his while he was trying to sell it, and it is an amazing sounding instrument. #I have some pics of the one I played here- LINK and you can get to Bill Davis' website via the link at the top of the Cafe. #Seriously man, you owe yourself a look at one. #Search the archives, you will never find a single negative comment about these mandolins.

My original IV mandolin kit blog- http://makingamandolin.blogspot.com/