Thread: cd suggestions

My daughter lives in Berlin, Germany, so she has access to some interesting cds. Could some of you suggest some cd titles and their players for guitar and mandolin duets?

I am also interested in interesting classical mandolins albums as well.
    thanks,
    Nick Royal

Great idea for a thread, as I too I want to add more guitar/mandolin duets to my CD collection.

I for one really enjoy Butch Baldassari's and John Mock's classical oriented Cantabile: Duets for Mandolin and Guitar, which also has a book of music score for both the mandolin and guitar parts. Both the CD and score for Cantabile are available at Baldassari's Sound Art Recordings web site: http://soundartrecordings.com/label.shtml

Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Check out this recent thread.

Also, this one.

And this one.

In the US, eBay seller <a href="http://search-desc.ebay.com/mando_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrftogZ1QQfrppZ25QQfromZR10 QQsatitleZmando*QQsacatZ-1QQcatrefZC6QQf

tsZ2QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQsadisZ200QQfposZ10598QQselle rZ1QQsassZsummernightQQfsopZ1QQfsooZ1QQc

oactionZcompareQQcopagenumZ1QQcoentrypageZsearch" target="_blank">summernight</a> usually has a good selection of many mandolin CDs. I think, for the most part, anything by the Tröesters is worth getting.

Also, try
    Berkshire Record Outlet for some excellent bargain CDs esp by Australian artists and by Ugo Orlandi.

Tho not strictly classical, I also recommend any of the CDs by Mark Levesque and Judy Handler.

Also, try Belmando a mandocentric label -- Richard Walz has a nice recording of 19th century parlor music -- and anything by Het Consort. Also, anything by Alison Stephens or Carlo Aonzo.

That should hold you for awhile.

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

There is also Marilynn Mair's Vienna Nocturne that looks interesting.

I bought "Serenata" by Carlo Aonzo and Beppe Gambetta. It's awesome from a musical point of view, and actually very entertaining to listen to as the minitracks in between the main tracks are really amusing. Carlo is possibly the coolest classical mandolin master on the planet.

Regarding the CDs that you can only get from Germany

The Duo Gervasio and Duetto Gentile both have beautiful CDs of Baroque and Classical music.

The CD of Duo Lorch "Places" has some wonderful modern/contemporary pieces as does the CD "Zeitpunkte" by Ros & Popp.

Of course, anything by Duo Capriccioso or Duetto Gioconda are excellent and each CD has a different theme, everything from baroque to modern.

Let me know if your daughter finds other interesting stuff, i always have a few extra Euros for a new CD.

Mark Levesque and Judy Handler
    International and Classical Music
    http://www.judyandmark.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/acousticblend
    The New American Mandolin Ensemble on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4L...uROoOXFj6GVSg/

Can anyone suggest a US source that stocks "Serenata" by Carlo Aonzo and Beppe Gambetta? (Amazon.com doesn't have it in stock, but I found it at amazon.de for 15,50 Euros, plus 10,00 Euros for shipping.)

maybe these guys have it in stock
    http://www.tricopolisrecords.com/det...ct_id=31911362
    Phyn

Serenata is on a German label with no distribution in the US.

Perhaps that Tricopolis has it or can get it.Yoiu can also try the eBay seller summernight who carries a lot of European mandolin CDs.

Carlo will also be in the US next spring and I am sure you can get it from him, if you want to wait that long.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I bought Serenata three weeks ago through one of the amazon.co.uk "marketplace" sellers for a total of £7.63 (including shipping). #It was dispatched from Germany and on a German label. #I've just checked again, and it seems I was lucky: that seller now no longer lists the CD and the cheapest listed is £39.76. #I see, however, that at least according to the Amazon listing, the CD had a US release on Dave Grisman's Acoustic Music label (Grisman also produced the album). #Maybe asking Acoustic Music directly would help.

Lovely album, by the way, highly recommended!

Martin

Here's a mandolin/guitar CD that i enjoy:

Deo Rian and Raphael Rabello

Brazilian Music Enterprises

thread 1
    thread 2

Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:
    Wellsprings 2: Joyful!

If you check out the MP3 page, you'll find a track titled "El Cumbanchero" by Ruth Roshen. Ruth plays with a guitarist named Tanya Ravbar Castantino. The are a duo called "Nougat" and their CD Is called "Breath."

They are from Australia, and the CD is only sold there, but Ruth's E-dress in on the MP3 page and you can contact her from there and buy the CD from her directly.

I found the CD utterly delightful, and both women are true virtuosos.

That De Meglio on Bernunzio's site looks nice but the price is way up there. Are these American dealers becoming more savvy to these?

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: