Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D'Addario Micro Headstock vs Micro Clip Free tuners

Default Re: D'Addario Micro Headstock vs Micro Clip Free tuners

I've owned some Snark tuners, and the plastic just started disintegrating on them, and crumbled, leaving no way to attach them. IME the D'Addario micro tuners are very accurate, and compare well enough to my TC Polytune and Peterson StroboClip tuners when I use those to check tuning after tuning with the micros. Maybe half a cent or so off, but not much. If I had to choose only one tuner, it would be the Peterson StroboClip. The TC Polytune is okay, but I prefer the Peterson. I got the Polytune a couple of years ago when Sweetwater had a huge sale on the Unitune. I ordered one, for $15, but I got a Polytune. I did not complain or return it. I wouldn't have bought it if not for the sale price.

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Sorry if I've never been impressed by the Snarks; I just find the D'Addarios (and their predecessors, the Planet Waves, etc.) easier to read. And easy to adjust to non-standard tuning (flute player often gets to A=442 at best).

Until, that is:
    Sorry to report that the recent iteration of NS-Micro has changed the surrounding color for "getting close" from green to blue, which is almost impossible to see in bright light, even indoors. And in dim indoor light, the blue is still, ya know, dim ... yeah, the blue just doesn't cut it!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

I’ve used the mini D’Adarrio, “screw-in” tuners on both a guitar and a couple mandolins. I has have one of the clamp-on minis on a mandolin.

The two problems with the screw-on type I’ve had is that they are not always easy to place, dependent on the tuners, headstock and/or neck design but if they fit, the benefit is you just can’t really lose them. One nit for mandolins is that the supplied screws are probably too large (diameter and length) for direct replacement in your mandolin, and the existing screw will be too short. Even if you nip off some of the length, you should plan to enlarge the screw hole to minimize any risk of introducing a crack, IMO, anyway. And, the second problem is that they have limited motion in a single plane, and if they get moved not too far out of that plane they’ll break. One I had got broken when our son tried to adjust the angle for better sight, not understanding how it worked, and another broke when I simply put the mandolin in, or maybe out of, the case and caught the tuner on the lining.

Both of those incidents sent me to the clamp-on style, with mostly the same advantage but less risk of accidental breakage, though a little concern about eventual finish printing. (Fortunately, I don’t care much about that!)

Likes quaint instruments poul hansen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by booker View Post
    Looking at Amazon, the D’Addario is labeled as a “frequently returned item.” I use the rechargeable D’Addario Nexxus, perhaps too clunky for some, but the easy recharging is a pleasure.
    I´ve never seen that. Where do you find it?
    Kentucky KM-805..........2 Hora M1086 Portuguese II(1 in car)
    Hora M1088 Mandola.....
    Richmond RMA-110..... .Noname Bearclaw
    Pochette Franz Janisch...5 Pocket............Alfredo Privitera pocket
    Puglisi Pocket 1908........Puglisi 1912.......Puglisi 1917
    3 Mandolinetto ..............C.Garozzo
    1 Mandriola...................Cannelo G. Mandriola...Böhm Waldzither 1921
    Johs Møller 1945............Luigi Embergher Studio 1933
    Marma Seashell back......Luigi Embergher 5bis 1909

All my Snarks have broken at the ball-joint.

the most accurate tuners I've heard are the strobe types but the micro-tuners are good enough and by far the most convenient.
    Bren

I guess I'm the only one bothered by the "plastic" construction on all of these. Nothing wrong with plastic -- my trash can is plastic, milk comes in a plastic jug, orange juice, etc...BUT not befitting of a fine wooden instrument, IMHO. (same reason I don't get carbon fiber...some people love it, I know)

Obviously, I'm in a minority -- maybe a generational thing?

I'm picturing Gene Autry with his cowboy suit and Martin D-45 with a plastic tuner hanging from the peghead.....it's hard. Do players in 2024 require being more in tune than Gene Autry was in the 1940's? (or Bill Monroe, etc....)

Possibly an internet era fetish? I know on the Strat forums people argue fine details that I'm sure never concerned Clapton, etc. Could it be taking the hobby too far?

Needless to say, we are repeating opinions we have already stated in previous discussions. That's what we do here!

I've used a TC Unitune for several years. It's been on and off many instruments, in cases, in my pocket and it's still holding up really well. Small and inconspicuous it's not, though.

D.H.

Plastic is common for tuners. The problem is that the plastic used for the Snark tuners seems unstable, and all I've owned have had the part that goes around the ball joint have just crumbled into pieces. I reglued one, but the plastic just continued crumbling into smaller pieces. I don't know why, but it's what I've seen. No other plastic tuners I've used, and that's a lot of them, have disintegrated like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    I'm picturing Gene Autry with his cowboy suit and Martin D-45 with a plastic tuner hanging from the peghead.....it's hard. Do players in 2024 require being more in tune than Gene Autry was in the 1940's? (or Bill Monroe, etc....)

Possibly an internet era fetish? I know on the Strat forums people argue fine details that I'm sure never concerned Clapton, etc. Could it be taking the hobby too far?
    I get your point, they're certainly not "classy." But suggesting that Clapton and Autry were less concerned with it kind of bypasses the fact that it's a tool that they didn't have available to them at the time.

The technology has changed, and the tools have changed. Don't you think people back then would have used the tool had it been available to them? Do you think people wanted to be out of tune?
    '91 Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A / Eastman MD-315

10. The following members say thank you to Caberguy for this post:

To say nothing of the fact that, had Gene Autry used the clip-free model, you'd have likely never seen it anyway.

12. The following members say thank you to Caberguy for this post:

I use a Peterson Stroboclip tuner, which is certainly quite a bit more expensive than most clip-on tuners, but I find it to be a million times more friendly.

I tried using snarks, which work fine on my guitar, but I found them to be frustrating as they displayed inconsistently on mandolin. I decided to pony up for a nicer tuner and ended up with the Peterson. I find the display to be easily understandable, and extremely accurate.

I would recommend it to anybody who finds the cheap chromatic tuners unsatisfactory.

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    ... Do players in 2024 require being more in tune than Gene Autry was in the 1940's?
    Suspectin' that Gene 'n' the boys jus' tuned to that there piano out on the back porch!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

15. The following members say thank you to EdHanrahan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by EdHanrahan View Post
    Suspectin' that Gene 'n' the boys jus' tuned to that there piano out on the back porch!
    Or to a pitch pipe. I used one of those back in the day, it was all there was. I once played a gig at a place where the piano obviously hadn't been tuned in years. The strings more or less tuned to the A on it, but the horns couldn't, so we ended up with the piano player sitting out. It was not the best sound anyone ever heard, but we didn't have a piano tuner with us.

As for Gene and the boys -- as long as they were in tune with each other, it probably didn't matter if they weren't in tune with A=440. Just putting that out there.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Quote Originally Posted by Randi Gormley View Post
    As for Gene and the boys -- as long as they were in tune with each other, it probably didn't matter if they weren't in tune with A=440. Just putting that out there.
    One of the Bill Monroe stories, told by somebody, possiby Connie Gately, was they just tuned to each other and would come home from a tour and be a whole step or more high -- that was with heavy gauge strings, back then! Kinda rough on necks and truss rods...and fingers!

Makes sense with Monroe practicing his falsetto....

Nobody has mentioned the extra weight of a clip-on tuner on the headstock. I've never liked leaving a tuner (and/or capo on guitar) on while I play. I tune up and then take it off to play.

Maybe we're talking about different things, but:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20240214_144821093.MP.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	540.6 KB 
ID:	212157

That's less than half an ounce.