Thread: Best Place to Look for Used Collings

Default Best Place to Look for Used Collings

If you were looking online for a used Collings mandolin, what online dealers would you look at?

Default Re: Best Place to Look for Used Collings

The classifieds here on the Cafe.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Charles E. For This Useful Post:

+1 on the classifieds here. go to the "classifieds" click "mandolin" in the list, then in the upper right corner type in "collings" in the search. there may be a few other items listed that come up, but there are quite a few Collings listed right now.

as far as online dealers, Themandolinstore, TheMusicEmporium, Elderly, retrofret, Northernlights, Mass street music

Tucker the Mandolinist TuckerTheMandolinist's Avatar

There's some at the Music Emporium. I've played them, they sound great.
    "has to be either place making, place finding, or place adapting. or the secret 4th option of course, which is to be miserable"
    -Bill Wurtz

6. The following members say thank you to TuckerTheMandolinist for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rdeane View Post
    If you were looking online for a used Collings mandolin, what online dealers would you look at?
    I have sent a PM to you.
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

got mine at the Music Emporium, they do seem to carry a lot of them often.
    My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Seems like mandolin inventories are waning. I think we are on the cusp of what one dealer described to me as the “Big Retirement” wave.

Someone recently accused me of only shopping at one store, which is true, but that’s where the majority of the mandolins for sale are available. Sorry, but that’s the reality that we are in.

I don’t expect that Collings is going to churn out more mandolins than they’ve done over the past few years. But after a quick check this morning Elderly lists 3 Collings mandolins, Northern Lights, last I looked, had one. Fiddlers Green has one (although the Monte A model there always distracts me from looking at their other offerings). The Mandolin Store has two listed with more on order….and TME has eight listed (which includes a mandola) and they may even have more waiting to be listed.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Blog Entries

There are 23 used Collings mandolins for sale in the Classifieds this moment. I know some people freak out if you say use Advanced Search, but entering Collings in the search field here and asking it to display only the mandolin category you avoid all of the accessories. Most of those posted at retailers already mentioned will be there.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

I'd also contact Fiddlers Green, which is located near Austin so probably have a chance to come across ones, as they're probably a bit more common around there (or here). They have an M2V on their site now, but if you know what you're looking for they might have one come by.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Mary’s house.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

https://austin.craigslist.org/msg/d/...705746926.html

^^^ NFI on my part but I saw this one while cruising CL (still a great place to find really good deals) and wanted to give a heads up. This is about as good a deal as one could find on a Collings.

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    Mary’s house.
    Nice, Pat, but I only have a few Collings mandolins left. Although TME currently has my last and all time favorite MT2v there. I had COVID late last year and have now developed some issues with my hands due to an inflammatory response. I’m sure things will clear up, but it made me realize it was time to move a lot of things on.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

16. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Nice, Pat, but I only have a few Collings mandolins left. Although TME currently has my last and all time favorite MT2v there. I had COVID late last year and have now developed some issues with my hands due to an inflammatory response. I’m sure things will clear up, but it made me realize it was time to move a lot of things on.
    I’ll believe it when I see an updated photo of your enviable closet.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Thank you all for your responses. They are all good ideas for a mandolin search.

I asked this question to see where people go for a used mid-tier mandolin because I am interested in possibly consigning my Collings MT2. I'm sorry for the misdirection on the original question. I didn't think it through.

My reasoning for the question is if people are recommending a particular online dealer, then it would be a good option to explore consignment with that store. I've contacted the Music Emporium, MandoMutt and The Acoustic Shoppe already and am interested in other online dealers who might offer a good consignment experience. I don't really want to go the Craigslist or Ebay route; I may try my local area Facebook Marketplace and the classifieds here as well, if I decide to forego online consignment.

I don't really want to go the Craigslist or Ebay route; I may try my local area Facebook Marketplace...
    I am not a FB user and have surely missed out since their Marketplace seems really popular. I'll say this about CL: of course there have been attempts to scam me, but common sense prevails and it's very easy to avoid. I've sold a lot of stuff on CL and never had a problem when meeting someone in person. A couple weeks ago I sold a guitar amp and met the fellow at a nearby police station parking lot to do the deal. CL often gets a bad rap needlessly is all I'm saying.

Edit:
    As far as eBay goes, you as a buyer cannot lose. They will give you your money back no matter what. It's ALL slanted toward the buyer, not so much the seller.
    Last edited by Caleb; Feb-11-2024 at 1:51pm.

Blog Entries

We could public name over a dozen people on Facebook marketplace that will take you to the cleaners so to speak in a heartbeat and have been permanently banned from this site for engaging in that specific activity. Obviously, we aren't going to name them. What Facebook does is their business. And they are active there. Some are real scoundrels. I'm not saying there aren't honest sellers there, there certainly are. But the rest, no one at Facebook cares about who is engaging in that activity and someone tell us Meta parent company a security team that is watching those resources. At least any retail store, Reverb or eBay there is some kind of basic protection beyond what PayPal offers, although for the last two all you need is a credit card they haven't banned and you're back in the game as a fraudulent seller. Another reason to deal with a brick and mortar store that has a reputation to protect.

This isn't really that big of a deal and not trying to make a big issue out of it, there is far more honesty than crime, but if someone is really concerned about being protected, it's pretty impossible to beat a legitimate retailer with a history and brick and mortar. Their future business depends on their reputation. A Reverb or eBay seller, good luck. Just pointing this out and it really has nothing to do with the Cafe's Classifieds. We have our own methods of protecting sellers and a zero tolerance policy.
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Feb-11-2024 at 2:55pm.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TuckerTheMandolinist View Post
    There's some at the Music Emporium. I've played them, they sound great.
    The Music Emporium claims they are the largest Collings dealer in the country and they sure seem to cycle through quite a lot of them.
    " Give me some words I can dance to and a melody that rhymes" - Steve Goodman

Thank you all for your responses. They are all good ideas for a mandolin search.

I asked this question to see where people go for a used mid-tier mandolin because I am interested in possibly consigning my Collings MT2. I'm sorry for the misdirection on the original question. I didn't think it through.

My reasoning for the question is if people are recommending a particular online dealer, then it would be a good option to explore consignment with that store. I've contacted the Music Emporium, MandoMutt and The Acoustic Shoppe already and am interested in other online dealers who might offer a good consignment experience. I don't really want to go the Craigslist or Ebay route; I may try my local area Facebook Marketplace and the classifieds here as well, if I decide to forego online consignment.
    I did my first consignment with TheMandolinStore around a month ago-zach sold all 5 mandolins within a 3 week period,for a very good pricepoint, and sent payment to me the same or next day. This is the first time i have used consignment as i usually post here, but i am covered up with work at home and thought i would try it. Worked out really well. Zach was in contact if there was activity with my instruments, let me know soon as the buyer accepted the instrument, and the check was in the mail.

good luck
    d