Thread: Mike Marshall & Darol Anger show on 2/9/24

Default Mike Marshall & Darol Anger show on 2/9/24

My DH and I went to this concert Friday night at the Groton Hill Music Center in Groton, Mass. (This is the second show I've seen at this venue, the sound is superb).

Here's a few pictures from the show.

It was so good, almost magical how they play together.
    I loved hearing Mike play the mandocello, the sound was so huge. He said, "every household should have a mandocello!" and he might be right

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240210_095732.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	212109 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240210_095840.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	524.9 KB 
ID:	212110 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240210_100247.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	708.4 KB 
ID:	212111

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240210_095430.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	4.36 MB 
ID:	212112 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240210_095309.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	2.58 MB 
ID:	212114

I feel blessed to have seen one of my mandolin heros up close at such a fine venue. My husband loves the sound of the fiddle, so it was awesome all the way around.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sue Rieter For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Mike Marshall & Darol Anger show on 2/9/24

"every household should have a mandocello" - I thought that was common knowledge ? no ?
    at least that's what I told my wife when I acquired the second mandocello

Always enjoy these two creating music together.
    My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

4. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post:

Awesome that you got to go in person Sue! I caught the live stream from 2/6 on the Berklee Vimeo and last I heard it was still available here https://vimeo.com/910061358
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew Egerton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Egerton View Post
    ...I caught the live stream from 2/6 on the Berklee Vimeo and last I heard it was still available here https://vimeo.com/910061358
    It's still available and I'm listening to it right now while I work on my household budget numbers (ugh). A lot of the same music we heard in Groton, though I haven't gotten to the part where they are accompanied by the Berklee Strings.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Fiddler & Mandolin Player Dave Reiner's Avatar

Sue,

You're right - it was a fantastic concert in their smaller hall!

Dave
    '04 Gibson F3, '04 Gibson A4, '06 Gibson F4, '26 Gibson F5, '27 Gibson F4, '87 Givens A6, 2017 Kimble A5

Author, Anthology of Fiddle Styles; Co-author, Oldtime Fiddling Across America
    Genial host, Fiddle Hell Online (coming up on April 11-14, 2024, with 220 concerts, jams, & workshops (incl many for mandolin) and free replays for 4 months)
    Join www.facebook.com/groups/fiddlehellmassachusetts
    Free jams on our YouTube channel YouTube.com/FiddleHell
    More info at fiddlehell.org

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Reiner View Post
    ...it was a fantastic concert in their smaller hall!
    I have yet to attend a show in the large hall, but we have tickets for Del McCoury next month !

Yes, those two have been collaborating for decades. I happened to be fortunate enough to attend the first week of Swannanoah last summer and heard the two of them play together several times… along with 4 of the other finest mandolinists in the world. The evening artist concerts were incredible.

Then I had a chat with Mike at the coffee machine in the cafeteria in the morning, what a genuine and pleasant human being!

Hi Sue and Dave,

I was there and agree that this was a GREAT concert! Truly inspirational! Mike and Darol's playing and arranging is superb.

An added bonus: they offered a 90-minute workshop/jam that started 3 hours before the concert. I and about 15-20 others who signed up got to hang with Mike and Darol, playing a few fiddle tunes as a group and mostly having them answer questions about arranging tunes, playing technique, etc. They are really great guys, and it was a thrill to spend some time with them. See attached pic of yours truly with Mike!

If anyone reading this is not familiar with the Groton Hill Music Center (groton hill.org), you should check them out. A non-profit, they host concerts in their spectacular venue in Groton, MA (see pic of smaller of their 2 concert halls), and they provide music education to youngsters in under-resourced school districts. An organization worthy of support. This was my first visit there, and I'll be back. (Sadly, I have a conflict and can't go to Del's concert.)

BTW (can't resist), if anyone reading this lives near Groton, MA, our band the Wicked Pickers will be playing nearby this coming Saturday at the Parish Center for the Arts in Westford, MA. https://parisharts.square.site/#utaJvX

GeorgeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	MikeM.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	682.0 KB 
ID:	212217Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GHMC.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	225.5 KB 
ID:	212218