Thread: Darryl Wolfe selling off stuff

Default Darryl Wolfe selling off stuff

Looks like long time Cafe member, Darryl Wolfe, is going to be unloading some mandolin related items. This should be interesting...

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/214057#214057

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Charles E. For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Darryl Wolfe selling off stuff

First up and its hitting on all cylinders ...
    Auspicious Beginnings..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandola-1924 Tl Conversion.png 
Views:	150 
Size:	891.8 KB 
ID:	212119
    Thomas Quinn

4. The following members say thank you to mandotool for this post:

I just heard about some of the TL conversations of the past and the surrounding feelings. I apologize if anyone is offended, I did not know. I will have a few instruments, many parts and pickguards, books and any other stuff that has run its course as far as geniune need to keep it. Thanks. Darryl
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Wolfe View Post
    I just heard about some of the TL conversations of the past and the surrounding feelings. I apologize if anyone is offended, I did not know. I will have a few instruments, many parts and pickguards, books and any other stuff that has run its course as far as geniune need to keep it. Thanks. Darryl
    Darryl, I don’t see how anyone can be offended in the conversion. Who plays lutes these day anyway? The mandola coversion is perfect.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skip Kelley For This Useful Post:

If someone has a problem with that conversion they might have too much time on their hands. I can't remember the last time anyone asked where they could find a tenor lute because they were looking for a tenor lute to play.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

9. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    If someone has a problem with that conversion they might have too much time on their hands. I can't remember the last time anyone asked where they could find a tenor lute because they were looking for a tenor lute to play.

Plus the conversion was done by Bill Halsey, top notch expert on Gibson mandolins. Not to mention a world class violin family bow maker and all around nice guy.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Charles E. For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    IIRC, Scott T is no fan of these conversions. You may want to consider who you might be casually insulting, just because they hold a different opinion from you about the historical significance of these rare instruments.

With all due respect to his opinion, I think this conversion was beautifully done and I would love a chance to play one and see how it compares/contrasts to my H1.
    1913 F4, 1914 H1, 1915 A1, 1923 F2, 2007 Jim Rowland F5

I'll take my chances and I rest my case. I looked and couldn't find a single message for someone looking for a TL to play. That doesn't mean there isn't one, that means I couldn't find one. Just because some people feel the need to be the caretaker of these instruments not everyone is. I simply look at instruments as tools and the last time I looked this was still a free country. I'm not worried about what I think insulting anyone. Have a nice day, really, honestly.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

15. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Hey Darryl... In reading your ad, I notice you say: "I am going to be listing a bunch of stuff for sale. Mostly tuners, cases bridges, tailpieces and such. But at 72 years old there will be so much more."

So... Is the connotation that by the age of 72, one would normally be expected to have collected lots and lots of mandolin related stuff?
    Or should it be read that by the age of 72 it's normally expected that everyone unloads a bunch of their stuff?

I'll be closing in on that 72 mark soon enough. My wife and I have differing opinions as to your meaning.

Clark
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

As an owner of a TL mandola conversion I’ve poured over all those threads. The previous contention with the TL was the marketing and pricing. Quote;
    “slapping a neck with a Gibson logo onto one does not make it valuable, rare or particularly interesting, except in the mind of one seller who will never be peddling his misrepresented wares on the Cafe again... Charging any more than $2-3K max for such a Frankenstein contraption is Brooklyn Bridge for sale territory. The mandolin community has never been and is not going to turn into the banjo world where folks routinely snap a few vintage parts on and suddenly have a $40K banjo”

18. The following members say thank you to Aurora for this post:

I know Darryl and consider him a friend, admire him and Tom (F5Loar) for their tireless work on the F5 Journal and know for a fact that he knows more about mandolins and related material (new and old) than most of us here on the Cafe could imagine.

I have not seen or played the tenor lute/mandola he is offering for sale, but I would assure you that the conversion done by Bill Halsey is stellar as I had one of his amazing F5s for awhile. Some of the best workmanship I have ever seen.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Glassweb For This Useful Post: