Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: playing late and drinking

Default Re: playing late and drinking

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    My general thinking is that a little alcohol makes you loose; too much alcohol makes you sloppy. "Everything in moderation" is said way too much but it's true in this case.
    Still, you have to remember that some people take moderation to extremes.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ranald For This Useful Post:

I think Robert Craft said, All things in moderation, and moderation's the first thing to go.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to farmerjones For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by marbelizer View Post
    In my experience there's a sweet spot of being buzzed, warmed up and playing freely. The trick is not imbibing yourself past that sweet spot into incoherence.
    That's what I call a "Bible Buzz," particularly when it comes to wine as it "gladdens the heart," etc. (Ps 104:15), and yes, the trick is to get there and stay. But there is a mighty steep drop off on the other side that hits hard and "bites like a serpent" (Pr. 23:32). Good red wine has cost me more than one sick day over the years.

A lot of people have stage fright and get nervous playing in front of others. A couple drinks often helps take that edge off via liquid courage. This is one of ways a lot of performers end up with a drinking problem.

6. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

jonm 

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    Still, you have to remember that some people take moderation to extremes.
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerjones View Post
    I think Robert Craft said, All things in moderation, and moderation's the first thing to go.
    Youse guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    A lot of people have stage fright and get nervous playing in front of others. A couple drinks often helps take that edge off via liquid courage. This is one of ways a lot of performers end up with a drinking problem.
    One of my first bands, which included a friend I'd known since junior high, had substance issues. I liked the smoke so much my nickname was "Smoky," (this was in the 80s, when it was still quite illegal) and the guitarist was a serious drinker. Could not or would not play without it. Indeed, when he finally sobered up, he also quit playing. The two activities were so closely associated in his mind. Thanks goodness that the playing made a reappearance at long last, as he was a fine finger-picker in the james Taylor mold. But it took over a decade.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

jonmRanald 

I've been thrown out of a number of barrooms for not drinking enough.

D.H.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hicks View Post

D.H.
    That gave me a smile.
    Treating it seriously though, I'm a very light drinker, who can go for months without a beer, a shot, or a glass of wine. When I was young, an older man told me that when I go to spend an evening in a a bar to give the server a big tip with the first drink, then they'll be happy since they've earned their expected tips from you, and won't constantly be pushing drinks at you. It's worked for me for many years. To be fair, the bars are businesses, so a person should be ordering something (non-alcoholic drinks, food) in a busy place with live entertainment. in the early 1970's, friends, who'd paid a cover fee to see the Incredible Sting Band at the Riverboat Coffee House in Toronto were told to leave if they didn't want to order food or coffee. They'd be refunded their entry fee. Others were lined up outside waiting for tickets. My friends were upset (but gave in). I had sympathy with management though. (Great show by the way.) So it's not just bars that want you to buy something.
    Last edited by Ranald; Feb-18-2024 at 12:44pm.
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ranald For This Useful Post:

I spent a little time in NYC in the late 70's. I remember the jazz clubs had a $10 cover PLUS a 2 drink minimum per person -- a nearly impossible sum for an unemployed 22 year old...

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

jonmRanald 

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    I spent a little time in NYC in the late 70's. I remember the jazz clubs had a $10 cover PLUS a 2 drink minimum per person -- a nearly impossible sum for an unemployed 22 year old...
    And if it was like the Colonial Tavern in Toronto during the same period, the heavy drinkers got the seats near the stage, where they argued loudly about whatever while the young jazz buffs were 'way at the back, trying to pay avid attention. Sigh, I guess it wasn't us who kept the clubs profitable.
    Last edited by Ranald; Feb-18-2024 at 8:14pm.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ranald For This Useful Post:

All things in moderation, especially moderation.

18. The following members say thank you to sgosnell for this post:

jonm 

Iím a professional musician and tour a lot. I also drink a fair bit, especially on the road. Thereís a sweet spot, for me, of having a few drinks and relaxing and having fun. At some point it goes off the rails. That can be fun too. :-) Philosophically, I actually think art is best when sober, but also disagree with that, haha.

20. The following members say thank you to diggida for this post:

jonm 

Quote Originally Posted by diggida View Post
    Philosophically, I actually think art is best when sober, but also disagree with that, haha.
    I always tell people my "art" is performed in beer joints, NOT museums....

I could brag and say night clubs, but to be honest, mostly beer joints....

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

diggidajonm 

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hicks View Post

D.H.
    Don’t do this on stage, I got thrown out of a bar for laughing!

I went with a couple of software engineers in a big group to a ‘real’ bar near San Francisco. We arrived five minutes after the main group because I had to have my first ever whiff of the sweet smoky stuff.
    When we walked in my friend said, ‘you can’t do that in this bar!’
    I said, ‘what?’
    -laugh, you can’t laugh in here’. After the weed I thought this was the funniest thing I’d learned about California. Couldn’t stop laughing.
    The muscled up barboy said I could get the hell out of here if I order orange juice so I put a twenty on the bar, and called him friend and that was it. Over.
    It was ok though because in those days I was really agile and very fast (brick mason), and got to the door before the boy could perform.

And my friends demanded the twenty back so all in all it was a good laugh.

24. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

jonm 

My reaction to OP's post was that it was about playing in informal pub sessions or festival jams, rather than paid gigs.
    Since he is in UK, and that's the way it is over here. Often in a pub you can walk to from home or get to/from by public transport.
    Can be a hit and miss experience but when it's good, it's great and you get a lot of exposure to fiddle tunes and styles . A real repertoire and technique builder.
    Bren

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bren For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bren View Post
    My reaction to OP's post was that it was about playing in informal pub sessions or festival jams, rather than paid gigs.
    Since he is in UK, and that's the way it is over here. Often in a pub you can walk to from home or get to/from by public transport.
    Can be a hit and miss experience but when it's good, it's great and you get a lot of exposure to fiddle tunes and styles . A real repertoire and technique builder.
    Bren, yes mate I posted after a "bad" night in the local pub back room with just myself and a concertina player. Felt a bit depressed until I got back home, a few more drinks on a Winter's night sat with my loyal cat, fire blazing and then I realized my playing wasn't that bad!!
    Some great replies to this thread.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jonm For This Useful Post:

I remember those days with a bit of sadness. Now its a 2 drink maximum.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill McCall For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jonm View Post
    Bren, yes mate I posted after a "bad" night in the local pub back room with just myself and a concertina player. Felt a bit depressed until I got back home, a few more drinks on a Winter's night sat with my loyal cat, fire blazing and then I realized my playing wasn't that bad!!
    Some great replies to this thread.
    Well, that can happen to anyone but it does seem more the case with mandolin sometimes.
    You go down to the pub thinking a good session of playing tunes will cheer you up, but for whatever reason , it doesn't gel and you come home feeling deflated.
    Maybe it's the ambient volume and you can't hear yourself, where you're sitting, or the other musicians or ... anything.
    So you sit and play for a bit at home with a dram or two to reassure yourself that you can actually play.
    Keep on picking and I'm sure the next session will be a cracker !
    Bren

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    I remember those days with a bit of sadness. Now its a 2 drink maximum.
    Cover charges and drink minimums ... yeah. I was so used to paying cover charges in New England (minimums seemed more of a NYC thing) that when I moved to Key West, I was stunned to see there were none. And you could bring your half-finished drink with you to another bar. In fact, it was customary for clubs to leave a stack of "to-go cups" near the door so you could pour your drink into it and leave the glass if you were going bar-hopping. It was suggested you do that rather than bring a beer bottle along, as the rarely-enforced open container law could lead to getting popped, probably only if you were obnoxious enough. This was liberating, and I think it was a result of there being overwhelming numbers of imbibers in the town, which had a bit of a reputation as a party town, and promoting that meant bringing in much tourist dollars. The only place I knew to have a cover charge was a disco, complete with a world-class light show. that held no interest for me, so I can't say whether it was worth it, never went in. And many bars had live entertainment, too. I guess they were making enough money on alcohol sales to afford that. If a place didn't have live music, it ran the risk of not getting enough business in there. Also, there was music every day of the week, and not just at night but during the day, two shifts even, and maybe even a late shift. Yep, things were different. But vive la difference!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by Bren View Post
    Well, that can happen to anyone but it does seem more the case with mandolin sometimes.
    You go down to the pub thinking a good session of playing tunes will cheer you up, but for whatever reason , it doesn't gel and you come home feeling deflated.
    Maybe it's the ambient volume and you can't hear yourself, where you're sitting, or the other musicians or ... anything.
    So you sit and play for a bit at home with a dram or two to reassure yourself that you can actually play.
    Keep on picking and I'm sure the next session will be a cracker !
    Yes Bren I think that's where my most enjoyment comes from playing, you have nothing to prove, the alcohol flows, reality disappears and you become lost in your own music which my cat loves, never objects and life becomes good again.