Thread: Amp simulator pedals

Default Amp simulator pedals

Has anybody experimented with amp simulators with solid body electric mandolins? Can anybody recommend a good amp simulator? I have a solid body electric made by Alan Brason, retro fitted with a Seymour Duncan Hotrails Strat humbucker and would like to be able to shape my tone and plug into a PA, so I can travel light and save lugging an amplifier around! Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Amp simulator pedals

I use this [ATTACH=CONFIG]212297
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6368.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	863.5 KB 
ID:	212297  

And these. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6369.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	988.0 KB 
ID:	212298

Blog Entries

I like the idea of amp sims for gigging when someone else is running the house sound.

I use an old Line6 POD 2.0. The cool thing about pedal amps, if they're digital like the POD 2.0, is that they treat an emando exactly like a guitar. So the tone controls etc do exactly what you expect them to do.

Also, you don't need an amp pedal per se. You can use an Origin Effects SlideRig, a preamp pedal -like a DOD FX10, or even a Boss SuperOverdrive 2. For example, Monday night at improv class (striclty out of necessity) I ran my small pedal board into a Yamaha StagePas 1k using the Hi-Z button in the channel. It sounded as horrible as you'd expect until I turned up all the treble everywhere possible and used the SuperOverdrive to tighten up the tone.

Hope this is useful.

Daniel

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you.

The Tech21 folks had a (SansAmp Character) series - maybe still do, and that was cloned by Joyo. Individual pedals for separate sounds, like Fender, Vox, and Marshall (e.g.). I had a couple of the Joyo pedals and really liked them. Not as full-featured as the digital emulators, but, conversely, no small screens and a half-dozen knobs.

I have an HX Stomp that I like. It's not cheap and there's a learning curve but it's super compact and very capable once you have it set up.

https://line6.com/hx-stomp/
    2020 Northfield Big Mon
    2016 Skip Kelley A5
    2011 Weber Gallatin A20
    2021 Northfield Flattop Octave Mandolin
    2019 Pono Flattop Octave
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop
    And a few electrics

I use a Strymon Iridium, which strikes the right balance of features and ease of use for me.

Quote Originally Posted by benjaminle View Post
    I use a Strymon Iridium, which strikes the right balance of features and ease of use for me.
    Same here - makes my Clark GOM sound wicked!

Thanks for all the advice. I'm seriously tempted by the Strymon Iridium. Expensive but I have read a lot of good things about it. Cheers.

I have used both hardware and software amp sims, as well as a variety of pedals and multi-fx units, with my electric mandolin as well as with numerous other instruments (some of which don't even have strings). I am a big fan of the BOSS ME-series stompboxes - you get an amp sim, EQ, compressor, overdrive/distortion, reverb, delay, and a few other interesting effects all in the same box, which is great for traveling. My ME-80 fits into a small backpack.

That said, the best option for travel in my opinion is going to be a software solution. With a cheap audio interface (even something as cheap as a Behringer U-Phoria) and something like NI Guitar Rig, Amplitube, or even HeavierFX by ThreeBodyGuitar, you have access to some seriously high quality amp and pedal sims. As long as your laptop is fairly decent, this is often the best option for travel, since you'll save a ton of space as well as having more options available to you than in hardware alone. I have used all three of the products mentioned above and I think Guitar Rig has the edge, if just for a ton of useful and inspiring presets to work off.
    Eastwood Newport Tenor, Eastwood Airline Mandola
    Cozart Electric Tenor, Cozart Electric Mando
    Hora Octave, Seagull S8
    ...and maybe some other stuff...

I've used the Tech 21 Liverpool (I even used it in Liverpool!) with satisfactory results.
    mando scales
    technical exercises for rock blues & fusion mandolinists
    mp4 backing tracks & free downloadable pdfs

jimbevan.com