Thread: Demonstrating a mandolin

Default Demonstrating a mandolin

Why is it that those folks that are trying to sell a mandolin, and producing a video, only play hot licks and chords. I would like to hear the individual strings one at a time. It would only take a few seconds to add to the video, and tell me as much about the mandolin than all the stuff they are playing. Any one else feel this way?
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Demonstrating a mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Why is it that those folks that are trying to sell a mandolin, and producing a video, only play hot licks and chords. I would like to hear the individual strings one at a time. It would only take a few seconds to add to the video, and tell me as much about the mandolin than all the stuff they are playing. Any one else feel this way?
    I know what you mean. Most any demo will be someone blazing away at the same old fiddle tunes or Bluegrass licks. I hardly watch demos anymore because of this.

4. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

pops1 

They think they're selling themselves rather than the instrument.

Back when dirt was new, my classical guitar teacher illustrated the resonance of instruments by playing the open strings in smooth, slow rest strokes, which is how I want to hear instrument demonstrations.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill McCall For This Useful Post:

I think some of both is good - first play some open strings, single notes, open chords, and closed chords. Then play a fiddle tune to see what it sounds like in more context.
    I guess I'll just stay right here, pick and sing a while...
    2022 Morris F5, 1995 Flatiron 2MB, 2004 Eastman 805

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to milli857 For This Useful Post:

Slow rhythmic flowing scales too.
    And slow, two string jumping, descending arpeggios with feeling and strong mature passion.
    Think Russian (or Ukrainian) and Italian music schools.

-or Sierra Hull!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon DS For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

This is a good suggestion that I really never thought of... I'm going to bring this up next filming.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MandolinChapman For This Useful Post:

They want you to imagine yourself playing awesome stuff on their mandolin. It’s the same reason commercials for SUVs show the car riding in rugged, cool, off-road places instead of the driver go to the supermarket
    Northfield FS5 Blond
    Eastman 404 Oval Hole
    Kentucky KM-250

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DaveGinNJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGinNJ View Post
    ...It’s the same reason commercials for SUVs show the car riding in rugged, cool, off-road places instead of the driver go to the supermarket...
    If I really had the choice of 'rugged, cool, off-road places' to play a nice mandolin, then there's one place I'd love to be.

That's years ago at an ex-girlfriend's place.

Why don't they put that in the advert?!

I agree 100%. There is one individual, regularly on Cafe Classifieds, youtube etc who wants to show the speed he can play and he is not alone. Total waste of the demo . We want to hear VOLUME and TONE and a few chords and a solo. Volume, tone, intonation, playability, balance are what people value. A few comments on thr actual wood, the tuners, the nut, the bridge etc are of interest.

I turn the video off as soon as they start showing off.

17. The following members say thank you to jimmy powells for this post:

pops1 

Here's what I do when I make a video to sell a mando: open strings, open chords, a slow doublestop harmonized scale on each pair of strings, a tune that uses all the strings--not played too fast, a piece of a Monroe break in G-A-B to show what happens when you play the same thing up the neck, and some chop chords in G-A-B.

https://youtu.be/rTFU3gT-eDw

I asked for a demo of a mando from a well-known vintage dealer. I got a guitar player wailing on open chords on a mandolin that was out of tune. Crazy.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Don Grieser For This Useful Post:

Playing on the porch

I would like to add to this demo discussion. When an individual or a shop is comparing two instruments, such as an Eastman next to a Kentucky, or an f-hole mandolin next to an oval hole, please don't assume that folks are looking at the instrument. Identify which instrument was played first and identify the second one, too. I like listening to what different mandolins can do, and I absolutely appreciate their being played together in a video, but give the listener a bit more verbal data by identifying which is which. In my case, I can't see videos, but I am imagining others, who may listen to demos while doing other things, would also appreciate the info.
    ---
    2021 Ellis F5 Special #564 mandolin
    2016 Eastman MD515 mandolin
    1928 Ernst Heinrich Roth violin

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GMorgan For This Useful Post:

The young lady who did the latest Klos CF review did a nice job with her demonstration, and I agree that her type of approach tells you more about an instrument than someone tearing it up who I’ll never be able to play like. Don’t get me wrong, I also enjoy the hot stuff, but either after single string/double stop/sustain/up the neck demonstrations or maybe sandwiching the slower stuff.

It’s cool that The Acoustic Shoppe has chimed in and is listening. I also like that the lady in the Klos review asked for feedback prior to the demo (and listened to it).

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CES For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    Here's what I do when I make a video to sell a mando: open strings, open chords, a slow doublestop harmonized scale on each pair of strings, a tune that uses all the strings--not played too fast, a piece of a Monroe break in G-A-B to show what happens when you play the same thing up the neck, and some chop chords in G-A-B.

https://youtu.be/rTFU3gT-eDw

I asked for a demo of a mando from a well-known vintage dealer. I got a guitar player wailing on open chords on a mandolin that was out of tune. Crazy.
    Nice one Don. Not sure if you're aware that video shows up as unlisted.

25. The following members say thank you to Mark Seale for this post:

pops1 

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Seale View Post
    Nice one Don. Not sure if you're aware that video shows up as unlisted.
    The video shows a nice demonstration of a Hogan mandolin for me.

Yes, the video is there. But, the video is unlisted which means you have to have a direct link to view it. It won't show up in a search.

The mandolin is gone so no reason for it to be public.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Grieser For This Useful Post:

It's largely the same in the guitar world. Look up a demo of a nice dread and it will likely be someone trying to play Bluegrass licks as fast as possible. Look up a Strat demo and you'll get blues licks. I was pleasantly shocked somewhat recently when I found a guy doing classical guitar bits on a Strat wth a crazy paintjob! Not "neo classical" like Yngwie Malmsteen (sp?), but guitar-resting-on-left-knee, proper classical guitar technique.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Interesting discussion.

When I’ve sold instruments, I’ve often played strings up each fret, as well as playing some licks and snippets of tunes. Thanks to GMorgan’s post, should I sell one in the future, I’ll be more cognizant of sight-impaired folks.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

I'm sure someone does, but I don't. Videos don't do a good job of capturing how an instrument sounds in real life. Or how I'll sound playing it. You get an idea of whether it can be tuned, but that's about it. Hearing each string individually wouldn't help me much.

I like video demos, but they're entertaining, not informing. So when I shop online, I just make sure there's a good return policy so that if I don't like the instrument, I can send it back.

In fact, none of the instruments I've bought online — three mandolins and a few guitars — have even had video demos. And I've never made a video to sell an instrument. They're just not important. If someone needed a video of something I'm selling, I'd just write the buyer off as too fussy to deal with.
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

When I bought my '22 Gibson I asked the store to simply play each string slowly over the phone. I listen on speaker phone, as it has better sound. I wanted to specifically hear the G string. I bought it on what I heard and it is still the best sounding old Gibson I have heard. The sound of the G string is important to me and it is entirely overlooked in nearly all demonstrations. Sometimes someone will wail on the G using very fast up and down strokes, not what I want to hear. Please strike it and let me hear it. I listen to computer demonstrations thru decent computer speakers and can hear the sound quite well. Hopefully it hasn't been run thru a bunch electronics.

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

. . . I listen to computer demonstrations thru decent computer speakers and can hear the sound quite well. Hopefully it hasn't been run thru a bunch electronics.
    Well, there, then!
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

36. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

From someone sitting on the selling side of the fence this is all good interesting stuff, so thanks for the tips

Seriously though, some of us do worry about how to adequately demonstrate stuff online, and more to the point, to do so in a way that doesn't involve playing the same thing every time (simply because I get bored - sorry!). Two things elude me: volume, and responsiveness. Volume you might be able to compare two different instruments and use one well known model as a baseline, but responsiveness is so much about how the instrument feels when you're playing, and whether it matches what you're used to that it's simply very hard to convey online. True story: I once had two different customers play the same mandolin here, one complained it was too loud and harsh, the other that it was too quiet and mellow. The thing was they were coming from different points of view and playing styles, one thrashed the heck out of it, the other hardly touched it. Both were right, and both were rather missing the point. In short, you've got to find the one that speaks to you, but also, when confronted with a strange instrument, take the time to get to know it and what it can do, rarely do you figure that out in 5 minutes. Bit like people really...