Thread: Crossrock combination case for mandolin and violin

Default Crossrock combination case for mandolin and violin

At $350-$420, these cases arenít cheap (to me, at least, but then Iíve never bought $600-$2000 cases), but Iíve been wanting ONE case to carry both a mandolin and violin to jams or on trips. I was worried about the weight, and then of course there was the cost.

Anyway, I bought a Crossrock case this week and LOVE it. Weight seems fine to me. Even with a mandolin and violin, it doesnít seem heavy (not nearly as heavy as one of my acoustic guitars in its case. Iím thinking this combo case is lighter than my electric guitar and its rectangular case, too.).

I love the fit and finish. I love the latches (I hate zippered cases). There are two small storage compartments and I was thinking Iíd have to pack my violin shoulder rest separately, but thereís a Velcro fastener under the violin neck for the shoulder rest.

Iíve tried an f-style and two-point style mandolin and both fit great, even with Tone Guards. I can leave my mandolin straps on - I canít generally do that with my other mandolin cases.

Nice straps for shoulder or backpack style.

A lightweight bag with cinch strings is included, I guess to protect the case? Iím planning to carry it in the bag on trips, but not when Iím just going to a jam.

The only con is the price (and it stings a bit when a similar Crossrock case for two violins is so much cheaper?).

Anyway, I love this case and am glad I finally gave in and made the purchase.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0594.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	212377
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doug Brock For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Crossrock combination case for mandolin and violin

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Brock View Post
    At $350-$420, these cases arenít cheap (to me, at least, but then Iíve never bought $600-$2000 cases), but Iíve been wanting ONE case to carry both a mandolin and violin to jams or on trips. I was worried about the weight, and then of course there was the cost.

Anyway, I bought a Crossrock case this week and LOVE it. Weight seems fine to me. Even with a mandolin and violin, it doesnít seem heavy (not nearly as heavy as one of my acoustic guitars in its case. Iím thinking this combo case is lighter than my electric guitar and its rectangular case, too.).

I love the fit and finish. I love the latches (I hate zippered cases). There are two small storage compartments and I was thinking Iíd have to pack my violin shoulder rest separately, but thereís a Velcro fastener under the violin neck for the shoulder rest.

Iíve tried an f-style and two-point style mandolin and both fit great, even with Tone Guards. I can leave my mandolin straps on - I canít generally do that with my other mandolin cases.

A lightweight bag with cinch strings is included, I guess to protect the case? Iím planning to carry it in the bag on trips, but not when Iím just going to a jam.

The only con is the price (and it stings a bit when a similar Crossrock case for two violins is so much cheaper?).

That is a great case. Congratulations on your purchase.
    ďMandolin brands are a guide, not Gospel ď
    - Data Nick

4. The following members say thank you to cayuga red for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Brock View Post
    At $350-$420, these cases aren’t cheap (to me, at least, but then I’ve never bought $600-$2000 cases), but I’ve been wanting ONE case to carry both a mandolin and violin to jams or on trips. I was worried about the weight, and then of course there was the cost.

Anyway, I bought a Crossrock case this week and LOVE it. Weight seems fine to me. Even with a mandolin and violin, it doesn’t seem heavy (not nearly as heavy as one of my acoustic guitars in its case. I’m thinking this combo case is lighter than my electric guitar and its rectangular case, too.).

I love the fit and finish. I love the latches (I hate zippered cases). There are two small storage compartments and I was thinking I’d have to pack my violin shoulder rest separately, but there’s a Velcro fastener under the violin neck for the shoulder rest.

I’ve tried an f-style and two-point style mandolin and both fit great, even with Tone Guards. I can leave my mandolin straps on - I can’t generally do that with my other mandolin cases.

A lightweight bag with cinch strings is included, I guess to protect the case? I’m planning to carry it in the bag on trips, but not when I’m just going to a jam.

I concur with your post about the Crossrock combo case, which I also have. However I disagree that it’s expensive when compared to what you’d spend for Calton or other similar cases. Basically it’s a bargain if you rate it as an expense on a yearly basis over the case’s lifetime.

6. The following members say thank you to Altmandw for this post:

Doug -

Do you know if a teens Gibson A will fit in your case? I have a Crossrock guitar case that I really like and would buy their double mandolin case if I knew it would fit old Gibson As.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Denis Kearns View Post
    Doug -

Do you know if a teens Gibson A will fit in your case? I have a Crossrock guitar case that I really like and would buy their double mandolin case if I knew it would fit old Gibson As.

Thanks!
    Sorry but I have no idea.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

9. The following members say thank you to Doug Brock for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Denis Kearns View Post
    Doug -

Thanks!
    I put a 1919 Gibson A4 with a tone-gard and strap in mine and it fit fine.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Altmandw For This Useful Post: