Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why do you play electric?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Why do you play electric?

Quote Originally Posted by tmsweeney View Post
    I suppose I should learn to use an expression pedal, as I have intentions on producing some formalized electronic pieces.
    I've become a sucker for chorus on electric, that Adrien Belew era King Crimson guitar sound.
    I do have a TC E Melotron pedal, which can be overkill at times, but offers a lot in the way of sound synthesis,
    I just picked up the fender acoustic overdrive pedal, as I did not like the boss overdrive pedal, it was either distortion or just not enough.
    Compression pedals can push tone.
    I currently have a fender champ, which has a lot of modeling and built in effects but I generally run it clean.
    I do use a boss digital-reverb or one of the built in fender champs reverbs, or both.

I suppose this one leans towards Fripp but still a ways off from "Let the Power Fall"

What does Fripp call his tuning? Is it "New Standard"?
    Basically its 5ths like a mandolin. So a LOT of King Crimson will slide right up an octave to mandolin easily enough. It's fun to think about it.

Myself, I'm more influenced as a player by songwriters. I love Neil Young's electric stuff, Daniel Lanois's first CD, Ry Cooder, Mark Knopfler's work with Emmy Lou Harris, etc. But I have to admit the idea of composing some truly ambient music sounds like fun too.

Daniel

2. The following members say thank you to Daniel Nestlerode for this post:

Crazyquilt very cool stuff, that is a 5 string tuned CGDAE?
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

4. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by tmsweeney View Post
    Crazyquilt very cool stuff, that is a 5 string tuned CGDAE?
    Yeah. I've messed around with tuning to C up to D, but so far I've kept to all fifths. Thanks for listening!
    Wee Beastie: Sparrow 5 string electric
    Collings MT-O

There's endless creative freedom for me on an electric instrument of any kind, and I have many oddballs, including an electric erhu. All the music I make has a lot of electronic elements, so the versatility of electric just make more sense. Sometimes I want a nice clean twinkle and sometimes I want a big wall of noise. And other times I'll just route it through a MIDI converter so I can control other instruments. It's all the kind of stuff that most people on here wouldn't listen to in a hundred years.

I initially picked up the mandolin because the symmetry of being tuned in fifths was really intuitive for me, but I was honestly not a big fan of the mandolin sound itself. The more lute-like sound of oval holes is more appealing for sure, but bluegrass has never appealed to me. For me, the mandolin was always more of a conveniently-sized input device that lent itself to improvisation.

Moving more toward the tenor guitar side of things has really been one of the most fulfilling choices I've made in 20 years of music making. I'm especially a fan of the wider neck Warren Ellis models that Eastwood makes, because as someone who first learned to play fingerstyle on a bass before ever touching a pick, it just clicks better with me. On top of that, that spacing just lends itself well to a one-finger-per-string style of playing, and lately that has just gotten me into a certain zen state every time I touch it. I could hit the lottery today and I'd still be pulling that exact tenor off the wall every day. Since then, my electric mandolin and my Seagull S8 have unfortunately been collecting more dust than I thought, although my electric mandola still gets some love.

There's just so much that can be done on any electric instrument that leads to immediate creative inspiration. Change around some pedals, or even just load up Guitar Rig and pick a random preset, and suddenly you're playing a totally different instrument. You can go from reverb-soaked ambience to chuggy metal to gated arpeggios with stacked delays in the course of seconds. Why not route some of that to MIDI while you're at it and control a synth too? Or toss the signal into a VST bitcrusher and see what happens? Go for it.

I feel like using an acoustic instrument is like painting with a limited palette, while electrics offer the entire color spectrum. Of course, sometimes limitations are exactly what you need to spark creativity, and I can see where they have their place in that context, but overall I just get so much more out of being able to sculpt the sound in so many different directions.
    Eastwood Newport Tenor, Eastwood Airline Mandola
    Cozart Electric Tenor, Cozart Electric Mando
    Hora Octave, Seagull S8
    ...and maybe some other stuff...

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dylandekk For This Useful Post:

I play 4 or 5 string electric to play Western Swing!
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pete Martin For This Useful Post: