Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Italian folk music on mando

I have the original LP of Silent Fountain and it was always a favorite, nicely done simple arrangements. I was pleased when I came across Bruce's site so I can now listen in the car.

I also recommend the two CDs by the Hot Frittatas (mentioned above) who also were involved in that same. Gus Garelick is the mandolinist/violinist and spent a fair amount of time playing with Matteo.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

A bit surprise nobody knows "Un ballo liscio" by Riccardo Tesi, with Patrick Vaillant playing the mandolin, and a large band.
    You can find in on amazon, with various tracks to listen.
    Try for example "Mazzolin Fatale".

Such a shame the Tesi-Vaillant (accordion-mandolin) duet records are almost all sold out, as they are quite interesting on contemporary franco-italian folk music.

Celine

I have about every recording those guys ever made, individually or separately, starting many years ago. There's a token appearance by Vaillant on the most recent Banditaliana CD, but it's a really minor contribution. I don't really know, but it seems the "new" piece may be one they had on the original pressing of Veranda many years ago. The story then was that they recorded a piece which sounded so much like Norwegian Wood that the Michael Jackson Organization (which owned the Beatles' repertoire, believe it or not) sued their record company for infringement, so the record was released with that track missing. This new one sounds quite reminiscent of Norwegian Wood, though only in the form of a musical quote I believe.
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

The original pressing of Veranda was not because of infringement of Norwegian Wood, but because Patrick was singing "Nina", translation in occitan of "Girl"... And it is strictly forbiddent to translate any of the Beatles' songs... Such a shame, because Sauvaigo's work on this title was great, and the song is good (I've heard it live...).
    I will ask Riccardo next time about 'Norwegian Wood', as, as far as I know, Patrick 's contribution is really minor, yes !
    But the duet restarted playing in concert, and there may be something new in 2006 (apart from Vaillant's solo album and Tesi's new work...).
    Regards

Celine

Celine, you're right, I remember that now. It's been a long time. I'd be interested to know if there was any intentional thematic connection between that little debacle and the recent Beatle theme. Good to know Tesi and Vaillant are working together again. If you know of any bootlegs of Nina, I'd love to hear it!
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

Paul,

I have it somewhere, on a video... I have to try and find some time to encode it etc. and I always lack time, but if I manage, I'll tell you.

I'll ask Riccardo next time, don't know when, but I'll ask !

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

I followed Jim Garber's advice to the Rounder Records "Italian String Virtuosi" It is quite full of interesting performances.

Of note of first listening is a great duet by Manello e Tripoli of a song "Aida" played as a mazurka.

I don't know my Verdi as I suppose I should (it is definitely not Elton John...) Can anyone help out here? Is this from the opera done up mazurka style?

Scores for the opera itself are available. Any ideas about the score for this piece from those having heard it?

thanks for any help.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Mick:
    I don't think that this piece has much to do with the Verdi opera. I have the sheet music for it for 2 mandolins and guitars, and it is credited to V. Cesarino.

If you want, PM me and I can send it to you. If enough folks are interested, I can post it on my tune page. In fact, I have transcribed the other Manello and Tripoli tune, a polka called Calbrisella Mia, on that page.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Jim,

Thanks for this offer. I sent a PM (my first) and got sort of a cryptic post-sending page from the board, referencing someone elses mail. I don't know if mine actually went through to you. If not, please let me know.

But yes, thank you for the offer, I'd greatly appreciate it. As might others. Your tune page is a serious bit of work and a great resource. I appreciate your generosity.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Jim--I add my thanks to Mick's for the resources on your tunes page.

Please count me as an interested party (for the Aida trio.)

Thanks.

Here is another page with some Italian (and other) sheet music.

JIm
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Thanks, Jim! Working up Cavallerizzi now.

"Jolly" is a term which might not translate DIRECTLY from the Italian....LOL

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

Gee Guys, thanks for the compliments! I do have about six cassettes left--given to me by Gino di Michele--guitarist on Fontana Muta with Matteo. I'm trying to get the master so that it can be brought back in a better quality. I'm hesitant about selling them now because when they're gone, they're gone. Bruce copied some tunes on CDs for the "Mattinata di Matteo" band a while ago..but I don't know that they're avail. Plus as Paul said Tony Flores' CDs are avail. too. Lisa (his youngest daughter) has given me permission to publicize her father's 2 CDs; you can order them directly from her laflores99@yahoo.com #That should satisfy a few of you out there. #BTW, I will have the 2nd edition avail. & it contains all the tunes on Fontana Muta & on Tony's CDs as well. #Sheri
    Sheri Mignano Crawford

https://www.zighibaci.com (books)
    https://www.eurocafemusic.com (on hiatus)
    https://academia.edu (articles, monographs, papers)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCi...FkUGI_5-XnJMoQ (YouTube)

Hi,

I'm Bruce Zweig, the guy with the tribute site for 'Silent Fountain' (at http://www.brucezweig.com/music/matteo/). I'm glad that you folks were able to find the site and enjoy the music.

Some history: the original album and casette had 13 songs that were recorded in a studio with Matteo Casserino on mandolin and Gino diMichelle on guitar, as well as some really great players on other mandolin family instruments (I think mandola and mandocello) which made the sound wonderful. Matteo gave me a tape with some other tracks from the session and some other recordings as well as well, and I digitized them all (and fixed the pitch and got rid of some noise) and made a CD with 23 tracks total. Matteo was able to sell the CD when we played together at the Trieste (my girlfriend at the time was taking a digital arts class, and made a great jewel case liner for the CD). They're all available in mp3 format on the site, and I think the 256 kbps versions are pretty much as good as a CD would be (though I'd be glad to burn a CD for anyone who desires it).

The site has scans of transcriptions prepared by Marc Wiman (who was playing piano at the Trieste at the time) as well. I'll be copying them into Sielius over the next couple of weeks, and the new charts should be available around March 1.

If anyone is interested in getting together to play some of these, let me know.

Bruce

Bruce,

Good to hear from you, and welcome to the Cafe! I've loved your web site ever since I found it a year ago (thanks again, Paul Hostetter!), and I've been playing Marc Wiman's transcriptions ever since. They're great fun to play, especially on old Italian bowlbacks for that shimmering bright tone. I gave a copy of the transcriptions and the CD to my mother, too, and she's been playing them pretty much incessantly for months on her bowlback. I recently got a copy of Sheri's book (welcome to the Cafe, too, Sheri!), and that adds a vast number of tunes to that sort of repertoire, but your site was the start for me.

Thanks again, and keep up the good work!

Martin

The second edition of Mandolin Melodies is available now. My Webpage #I have 140 dances now (20 more than the first edition). #About 40 are arranged for 2 mandolins. #The new edition sells for $34.95 but mandolincafe members get it for $25. (same with the Salami book). #It's just my way of thanking Scott Techinor for all his hard work! #Sheri
    Sheri Mignano Crawford

I just received Sheri's "Mandolin Melodies" (forgot to ask for my MC discount. LOL) I recommend it highly. It is a great resource for sure and a nice piece of scholarship and dedication. I'm looking for an interested guitarist and I'm saving up for the Salami book. Yes, I keep a mandolin in the kitchen now....

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Quote Originally Posted by (Got8Strings @ Jan. 15 2006, 13:40)
    I agree with brunello97 - the Bruce Zweig site was a MAJOR find. #So far I have spent a LOT of time manually transcribing songs from CDs to tab format. #The Silent Fountain songs doubled my reperatoire of Italian songs in one swoop. #Thanks Matt!
    hey, got 8 strings.?...nearly all of the tunes on Bruce's website are in my 2nd edition of Mandolin Melodies. Not tablature...I don't have time to do that but it may save you a lot of time since I learned them from all the mando masters in SF, including Matteo so please visit me at www.zighibaci.com The Mando Melodies (2nd ed) is $34.95 40 of the 140 dances are arranged for 2 mandos. and please check out my new history book, Mandolins, Like Salami. It's about Italian-American mandolinists--the last of the great first generation mandolinists just passed away last Friday, Gino Pellegrini. He's in the final chapter...and the book, BTW, is dedicated to him and his wife, Josephine.

Quote Originally Posted by (brucez @ Feb. 11 2006, 01:42)
    Hi,

I'm Bruce Zweig, the guy with the tribute site for 'Silent Fountain' (at http://www.brucezweig.com/music/matteo/). #I'm glad that you folks were able to find the site and enjoy the music. #

Some history: #the original album and casette had 13 songs that were recorded in a studio with Matteo Casserino on mandolin and Gino diMichelle on guitar, as well as some really great players on other mandolin family instruments (I think mandola and mandocello) which made the sound wonderful. #Matteo gave me a tape with some other tracks #from the session and some other recordings as well as well, and I digitized them all (and fixed the pitch and got rid of some noise) and made a CD with 23 tracks total. #Matteo was able to sell the CD when we played together at the Trieste (my girlfriend at the time was taking a digital arts class, and made a great jewel case liner for the CD). #They're all available in mp3 format on the site, and I think the 256 kbps versions are pretty much as good as a CD would be (though I'd be glad to burn a CD for anyone who desires it).

The site has scans of transcriptions prepared by Marc Wiman (who was playing piano at the Trieste at the time) as well. #I'll be copying them into Sielius over the next couple of weeks, and the new charts should be available around March 1.

If anyone is interested in getting together to play some of these, let me know.

Bruce
    Hey Bruce,
    Wyman's were all transcribed (and corrected) in my mando melodies book--just to save you some time...do you want permission to publish my transcribed arrangements on your website? Sheri
    Sheri Mignano Crawford

Sheri,

Your book is on my list of must-have items for this year - you will be hearing from me for sure!

I'd like to thank Sheri again for the great resource that Mandolin Melodies has been. It has gotten me through another cold winter. Forgive me, as I know this may not be the right forum to raise this, but I am thinking about getting an accordion to learn some of these songs as well.

Any mandolinists who double on accordion or vice versa?

So many italian accordions pass by on ebay. Any recommendations on makers? Please PM with any help. It would be appreciated...

And another request:

Can anyone steer me towards the sheet music for "Quando caliente al sol" from Fontana Muta?

grazie,

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Try the english title "Love Me with All Of Your Heart". It's a quite popular song.
    You'd better hope your CRAZY cause there's no cure for STUPID

Thanks, Charlie. An interesting title "translation". Who woulda thought.....

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Quote Originally Posted by (brunello97 @ Mar. 26 2006, 22:36)
    So many italian accordions pass by on ebay.
    Mick:
    Not to get into too much detail on this. I would just say: you know how almost every eBay mandolin purchase I have made has also entailed at least moderate luthier expense to make the mandolin playable? Accordions -- esp old ones -- are Pandora boxes. Who knows what lurks in the insides of these? It is also very expensive to tune one to pitch.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Jim,
    A warning well taken. I've had a lucky one or two ebay mandolins play right outthebox but, yes, most require some if not a lot of repair/set up. A couple have been real disasters. Maybe a trip to Castiglione would be more sensible. Anyhow, I am getting the bug again...
    thanks,
    Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road