Thread: Evan Marshall Duo Style Method

Since I have not seen a review so far, here is my experience:

I received the book as a christmas gift and I must say I am really impressed; not only with the technical abilities of Mr. Marshall (with which I have been familiar with from his CDs) but also with the systematic apporoach of the book; First you get the basic duo style patterns, using open strings. From there he adds more fretted notes, using his arrangement of "Ode to Joy" to craft little exercises which address specific problems, one at a time. In the end, you get his - very advanced- version of "Ode to Joy" which you should be able to play once all the lectures have been digested (which may take some time). I was surprised that I could get a hang on the basic concept of duo style within a few minutes; however, playing the music at the required speed smoothly will take a few years.

To sum it up, I am impressed with the book and can recommed it wholeheartedly. It also comes with tab and CD which is a big plus for me (Iīm a real slow reader).

PS: If Evan would write a book which contains a few of his arrangments from his CDs, I would certainly be in the market for it. This is FUN to play, even if you donīt have a classical background.
    Who am I and if yes, how many?

I have that book, also. I really like it. Even at slow speeds it sounds satisfying and never boring. There's always a real sense of accomplishment.

I have seen evan perform several times. He truly is amazing.

Like me, Evan lives in the L.A. area, and frequently performs at a coffee house that's only a 10 minute drive from me. {How lucky can a guy get?)

BTW, he has a metal bridge on his Gilchrist F-5. I think it's aluminum, but I'm not sure. It might be stainless steel.