Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: listing of rock songs w/mando

Default Re: listing of rock songs w/mando

This thread is such a fabulous resource!

Stumbled across this group from New Zealand. Use mandolin on almost every track.

Avalanche City
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWzzbuJJYQc

Don't forget John Mellencamp's Human Wheels and Shawn Colvin's Sunny Came Home!

Hello All:

Forgive me if I am being redundant, but I have only seen one song listed from Lynyrd Skynyrd. They have an album, 1994 Endangered Species, with some really good Mandolin on the last half.

Am I Losing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y4oi0M2LOs

All I have is a Song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b42t_lt5tMw

The Last Rebel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRUIjriI9to

Hillbilly Blues https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYkzojQRJ8I

Fun songs to play! Enjoy

Came across these guys on the TV at Tillys at the mall. Turns out the mandolin player is Kate Bush's nephew.

6. The following members say thank you to jefflester for this post:

Must. Keep. Practicing. Ben Cooper's Avatar

Good stuff!!
    Benjamin C
    Girouard A-5 #62
    Fender FM-100

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture."

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, eh? Not saying that Raven Bush is in the same league as Aunt Kate - not yet, but maybe some day - but interesting to learn that mandolin consciousness is continuing into the next generation of that family. It's worth noting that his father is Kate's eldest brother John, not the middle brother, Paddy, who has played mandolin (and several other instruments) on Kate's recordings over the years. Rather nicely, too.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

Good news, everybody. I recently picked up a laptop, so I am able to connect online at my day job. Since there are often long stretches of down time here, soon I will be able to apply myself to updating this list. I know -woo-hoo!

Quote Originally Posted by CSIMelissa View Post
    Has anyone mentioned "Sunny Came Home" by Shawn Colvin?
    Um, yeah ... As recently as post #268. Not meaning to single you out, but just so everyone understands - this is a pretty lengthy list, though of course not all-inclusive (still under construction and all that), but easily searchable. I suggest people posting search it first before suggesting entries. Thanks!

That said, thanks for the heads-up about The Bangles. That's a new one.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Blog Entries

I searched the thread and didn't find any prior mention of Band of Horses. Nice band, and they regularly include mandolin in the acoustic portions of the show. Not sure whether they incorporate it into the more electric portions of their shows or not, but it's definitely part of their arsenal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03328d92a4f311e3bba61266372c00c2_8.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	119149
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Blog Entries

Yeah, there are several bands that have come along in the last few years that use mandolin extensively. These guys, Imagine Dragons, The Lumineers, Needtobreathe, and I'm sure others I can't think of at the moment. I'm a bit stumped as to whether to include all their songs in this list, with the title specifying songs. I don't have all their albums - um, any of them - so I'm not sure how to proceed. I mean, obviously "Ho Hey" by The Lumineers needs to be on the list, but I know they don't use mandolin on all of their songs. I would really appreciate any input from anyone more familiar with the recordings by these and any other bands. Or if anyone knows an online resource that lists information like this - track-by-track instrumentation - can you imagine how much help that would be? Thanks!

Blog Entries

Dialed up Dr. John, The Night Tripper -"Gris-Gris" today. Heady stuff - whew! And there's mandolin all over it: "Gris-Gris Gumbo Ya Ya," "Danse Kalinda Ba Doom," "Danse Fambeaux," "Croker Courtboullion," but not, as someone had earlier posted to the list, on "I Walk On Gilded Splinters." Best of all, it's really well-played and well-utilized, credited to Richard 'Didimus' Washington and/or Ernest McLean. I read somewhere sometime that this was recorded in LA by Dr. John and a bunch of other session musicians during downtime on somebody else's sessions. And man, everybody sounds so stoooooned ...

Does 80's music count? Just stumbled across this one... what kind of mando is that at 19 seconds in?
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Wilson View Post
    Does 80's music count?
    No. I mean, yes, of course. No, I mean no, not for much.

Yes, of course it does. This is all about the mandolin and the music it is used to create, which is timeless and for all time.

Split Enz didn't make much of an impression on me. 80s bands that did include Big Country (knocked me out, still a favorite, especially their album "The Crossing", on my all-time favorite list), Dexy's Midnight Runners (mostly just their album "Too-Rye-Ay"), U2 ( I think if they stick with it, they might make it big, eventually), and to a lesser extent, Squeeze - though I found out about them much later. But enough about me.

Looking through the wiki, I see that founding members included guitarists Tim Finn and Phil Judd, and the latter played mandolin on their first two albums, "Mental Notes" (1975), and "Second Thoughts" (1976). He then left, and was replaced by Tim's brother, Neil Finn (who would go on to form Crowded House). Neil played mandolin on the third album, 'Dizrythmia" (1977). I didn't see any further mandolin credits. This song is from their seventh album, Time and Tide (1982)\, and Neil is on it, but no mandolin credit. I assume he is playing mandolin, but can't say for sure.

As always, wikipedia is the sum of its parts, garbage in garbage out, and whoever does the input includes only so much information, that's all you get. Until someone edits it, of course. I'm not about to, because I know very little about them and would have to learn, and who has time for everything? If anyone has access to their catalogue and can verify which songs have mandolin on them (that's what this list is about), please let us know.

That said, this is a nice enough tune. Thanks for bringing it up. No idea what kind of mandolin that is, but at least it doesn't seem to be a prop - I can hear it in s couple of places. My guess is mandolin wasn't a big part of their sound, but props to them for using it. The more, the merrier!
    Last edited by journeybear; Aug-07-2014 at 10:25am. Reason: further rfesearch

I see this thread hasn't had an update in a while, but I figured I'd mention a few songs. Also, the Crash Test Dummies had a regular mandolin/harmonica player, Benjamin Darvill (now known as Son of Dave, and now a solo artist in the UK) so I'm sure there are some songs I'm forgetting or missing (just kinda scanned through a bunch to remind myself of what happens in the song).

Crash Test Dummies - Winter Song
    Crash Test Dummies - The Country Life
    Crash Test Dummies - The Ghosts that Haunt Me
    Crash Test Dummies - Androgynous
    Crash Test Dummies - The Voyage
    Crash Test Dummies - Two Knights and Maidens (only song from their 2nd album with mando, from what I can tell)

Indigo Girls - Closer to Fine

10,000 Maniacs - Back O' The Moon
    10,000 Maniacs - Everyone a Puzzle Lover
    10,000 Maniacs - Lilydale

Some of the 10,000 Maniacs songs even feature a little tremolo picking, what I tend to think of as "old timey" mandolin playing.

I'll probably be doing YouTube lessons for the Maniacs songs at some point, if I haven't found that someone has made a good one already.

Hal Leonard "Play-Along Rock Hits" pg. 47. "Sunny Came Home", Words and Music by Shawn Colvin and John Leventhal.

===========

CORRECTION: Unless I am grossly mistaken . . . 'Dance, Dance, Dance' by Steve Miller does not feature mandolin, only a bottleneck guitar played (very nicely) by John McFee, now of the Doobie Brothers.

Check out some Jack White songs. He has played mando as well as some other band members in some songs.

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Rolling Stones - "Love in vain"
    Some guy named Ry Cooder...

I've heard Jethro Tull do versions of "Fat Man" "Mother Goose" and "A Christmas Song" with Dave Pegg on mandolin.

Also, "Back in the High Life" by Steve Winwood.

...and Paul McCartney "Dance Tonight"
    Living’ in the Mitten

Ok, I can see that this hasn't been updated in a while, and I wanted an easy to read list without having to go through the entire thing, so I compiled every single entry into a new list, slightly different format. I included everything that was mentioned in text, but my browser won't let me see links, so if all you posted was a link, sorry, it's not on my list. Hope it's useful, I'm happy to monitor it and add to it semi-regularly:

Oh, and yes, because I can see it's asked on nearly every page, Sunny Came Home is in this list. Please don't ask again.

A-B
    10,000 Maniacs – Back o’the moon; Everyone a puzzle lover; Lilydale
    Aerosmith – Crazy; Get a grip; Kings and queens
    Afro Celt Sound System – When you’re falling
    Alpha Band – Keep it in the family; Mighty man; Not everything has a price; Rich man
    Tori Amos – Cornflake girl
    Atlantic City – Evangeline; Rag mama rag
    Joan Armatrading – Somebody who loves you
    At War With Self - At war with self
    Avalanche City – (tbc)
    Bad Company – Silver, blue & gold
    Balkan Beatbox – (tbc)
    The Band – Atlantic City; Evangeline; The last waltz; Rag mama rag; Rockin’ chair; When I paint my masterpiece
    Band of Horses – (tbc)
    Barenaked Ladies – One week!
    Eric Bazilian – The optomist (album)
    Dierks Bentley – Pride (in the name of love)
    Big Country – The seer
    The Black Crowes – Share the ride
    Blackmore’s Night – (tbc)
    The Blasters – Little honey
    Blind Melon – Change; Walk
    Blood Oranges – Bridges; Halfway ‘round the world; Handle breaks; Hinges; Sally; This old town; Titanic
    Blue Rodeo - Bad timing; Cynthia; English Bay; It hasn’t hit me yet; Up on that cloud
    Bonepony – everything
    Deni Bonet – Die for me
    Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band – Bad blood
    Brass Monkey – Da floo’er O’Taft/the lass o’Paties mill; George’s son; Jolly bold robber; The maid and the palmer; The rose lawn quadrille; Waterman’s hornpipe
    Broken Records - Lies
    Kate Bush – Army dreamers; Oh, to be in love; Kashka from Baghdad; Reaching out; Suspended; Wow
    Butterfield Blues Band – In my own dream
    The Byrds - Ballad of easy rider; Draft morning; Path of victory; Sweet Mary; Truck stop girl; You all look alike
    Just learning - 3 weeks, 4 chords, 4 note sequence

C-H
    Can – Laugh till you cry live till you die
    Captain Beefheart – Her eyes are a blue million miles
    Carbon Leaf – American tale; The boxer; Crazy; Days gone by; Desperation song; Follow the lady; Home; Lonesome pine; Mary mac; Music to my soul; My dear; on any given day; Ordinary eyes; Shine; So why?; To my soul; Wandrin’ around
    Martin Carthy – The friar in the well; Jolly tinker; Old horse
    Carthy/Swarbrick - And A Begging I Will Go; Banks of The Sweet Primroses; Boomfield Hill; Bows of London; Brand Band Music; The Irish Washerwoman/The Ash Plant; Lovely Joan; The New Mown Hay; Poor Murdered Woman; The Ride In The Creel; The Sheep Stealer; Two Butchers; The Wife Of the Soldier
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds – (tbc)
    Cheap Tricks – Heaven tonight (mandocello)
    Church – Antenna
    Eric Clapton – Lonely stranger
    Shawn Colvin – Sunny Came Home
    Continental Drifters - Watermark
    Ry Cooder - Ax sweet mama; Billy the kid; Boomer's story; Bourgeois blues; Chloe; Denomination blues; Down in Mississippi; Fool for a cigarette/feelin' good; Goin’ to Brownsville; Hey porter; I got mine; It's all over now; Look at Granny; Money honey; President Kennedy; Solar sex panel; Viola Lee blues; Wall street side of town
    Elvis Costello – Little palaces; They’ll never take her love from me
    Country Radio – Gypsy queen
    Cowboy Junkies - 200 More Miles; 3rd crusade; A bride’s price; 'Cause Cheap is How I Feel; Continental drift; Escape is so Simple; Hunted; I move on; It’s heavy down here; Late night radio; Mariner's Song; Misguided Angel; Powderfinger; Rock and Bird; Sing in my meadow
    Crash Test Dummies – Androgynous; The country life; The ghosts that haunt me; I don’t care that you don’t mind; Two knights and maidens; The voyage; Winter song
    Charlie Daniels Band – Uneasy rider
    Roger Daltrey – Without your love
    Death Cab for Cutie - Soul meets body
    Gavin DeGraw - Stealing
    Richard Digance – (tbc)
    The Doors – Runnin’ blue
    Dr John – Croker courtbouillon; Danse Fambeaux; Danse Kolinda; Gris gris gumbo ya-ya; Loup garoo
    Dropkick Murphys – Bastards on parade; Black velvet band; Rose tattoo
    Bob Dylan - If you see her, say hello; Knocked out loaded; Life is hard; Love/theft; Rolling thunder revue; Street legal; This dream of you
    The Eagles – Hollywood waltz; Journey of the sorcerer; Lyin’ eyes; Midnight flyer; Saturday night; Tequila sunrise
    Steve Earle – Billy and Bonnie; Copperhead Road; Dominck Street; Galway girl; Paddy on the beat; Sara’s angel; (& the Dukes) The other kind
    Fairport Convention - Angel Delight; Battle of Evermore; Big; Bonny Black Hare; Brilliancy Medley/Cherokee Shuffle; Cuckoo's Nest; Flatback Caper; John Lee; Little Did I Think; Million Dollar Bash; Peggy's Pub; Poor Will & The Jolly Hangman; Sailor's Alphabet; Sickness & Diseases; Sir William Gower; St Ninian's Isle/Trumpet Hornpipe; Wake Up; White Dress
    Five Hand Reel – Five hand reel; For a’that; Earl O’Moray
    The Flatirons – Three crosses
    Fleetwood Mac - Sara
    Flogging Molly – The lightning storm
    FM – Phasers on stun
    Sue Foley – Give it to me
    Fury in the Slaughterhouse – When I’m dead & gone
    Rory Gallagher – Brute force and ignorance; Going to my home town; I'm not surprised; Leaving town blues
    Gallagher and Lyle – (tbc)
    Gentle Giant – In a glass house
    Gogol Bordello – (tbc)
    Goo Goo Dolls – Iris
    Grateful Dead – Friend of the devil; Ripple
    Greenday - Misery
    Hall & Oates - Better watch your back; Lady rain
    George Harrison – Gone troppo
    Justin Hayward – Penumbra moon
    Mark Heard – Satellite sky
    Heart - Half moon; Say hello; Sylvan song/dream of the archer; You’re the voice
    Hedgehog Pie – (tbc)
    Levon Helm – Deep Ellum blues; Rockin’ Chair; Tennessee Jed; You can’t lose what you ain’t never had
    John Hiatt – Before I go; Crossing muddy water; Cry love; God’s golden eyes; Gone; Lift every stone; Lincoln toen; Only the song remains; Trudy and Dave
    Dan Hicks – O’Reilly at the bar; Traffic jam; Where’s the money?
    Higher Ground – Alpaca sweater; Comin’ home; Live on your own; Quicksand
    Robyn Hitchcock – Balloon Man
    Niles Hokkanen – Dawn on Pasquisett/Long march to Melbourne; Farther along; Fire;
    Honky tonk blues; I’m ready; Little Sadie; Low down blues; Summertime blues; Tyrant’s jig (reprise)
    Billy Holmes – Anybody’s guess; Vigilantes of love
    The Hooters – And we danced; Day by day; Karla with a k; Lucy in the sky with diamonds; Mr tambourine man; Where do the children go
    Hootie and the Blowfish – Alright; Autumn Jones; The earth stopped cold at dawn; Honeyscrew; Innocence; Leaving; Running from an angel; Tears fall down; Tootie; Waltz into me
    Bruce Hornsby - Mandolin rain
    Hothouse Flowers – Don’t go; Forgiven; Saved
    Alan Hull – Money game; STD 0632; United states of mind

- - - Updated - - -

I-N
    Imagine Dragons - (tbc)
    Indigo Girls – Ghost of the gang; Ozoline; Second time around
    Jack the Lad – Draught genius; It’s Jack the lad; Old straight track; One more dance; Rough diamonds; Why can’t I be satisfied
    Bert Jansch – (tbc)
    Jars of Clay – Liquid; Lonely people; Love song for a saviour; No one loves me like you; On Jordan’s stormy banks
    Jayhawks – Mr. Rain
    Martin Jenkins – An evening with dando shaft; Avocet; Book of secrets; Dando shaft; Fortune; Green lady; Hedgehog pie; How the west was lost; In search of Amelia Earhart; Kingdom; Lantaloon; Promises; These foolish strings; Thirteen down; Tsubo
    Jethro Tull – Acres wild; A Christmas song; Dun ringill; Fallen on hard times; Fat Man; Fire at midnight; Flying dutchman; Glory row; Gold-tipped boots, black jacket and tie; Inside; Jack in the green; Jeffrey goes to Leicester square; Like a tall thin girl; Love story; The pine martin’s jig; Pussy willow; Roll your own; Skating away (on the thin ice of the new day); Slow marching band; Song for Jeffrey; Sparrow on the schoolyard wall; Tall thin girl; This was; Warm sporran; Weather cock
    Billy Joel – Piano man
    Elton John – Ballad of the boy in the red shoes; Holiday inn; Mona Lisas and mad hatters; Texan love story
    Davy Johnstone – A lark in the morning; A lovely day; Janine; Walking out
    Jokke & Valentinerne – Jeg er redd
    John Paul Jones - Freedom song
    Sass Jordan – I want to believe
    Milla Jovovich – Charlie; Clock; Gentleman who fell; It’s your life
    JSD Band – Country of The Blind, JSD Band, Travellin' Days
    Michael Kang – Shenandoah breakdown
    Bap Kennedy – Dirty old town
    Shoukichi Kina - Hana No Kajiyama; Subete No Hito No Kokoro Ni Hanna O
    The Kinks - Supersonic rocket ship
    Cheri Knight – All blue; Dar Glasgow; Northeast kingdom; Rose in the vine; Sweetheart
    John Kruth – The Cherry Electric
    Sonny Landreth – She left me a mule
    Ronnie Lane – Anymore for anymore; Debris; Heard this one before; How come; One for the road; Slim chance
    Led Zeppelin - Battle of Evermore; Boogie with Stu; Gallows pole; Going to California; Hey, hey, what can I do?; That’s the way
    Deke Leonard – Sharpened claws
    The Leopards – Raggedy Ann, raggedy Ann
    Gordon Lightfoot – Alberta bound
    Lindisfarne – Fog on the Tyne (album); Dingly dell (album)
    David Lindley – Turning point
    Little Hurricane – Give ‘em hell
    Loggins & Messina – Be free; Brighter days; Watching the river run
    The Long Ryders – (tbc)
    Los Lobos – (tbc)
    Nick Lowe – Jumbo ark
    The Lumineers – Ho hey; Stubborn love
    Lynryd Skynyrd – All I have is a song; Am I losing; Hillbilly blues; The last rebel; Mississippi kid
    Paul McCartney – Dance tonight
    McGuiness-Flint – When I’m dead and gone
    Matchbox Twenty – How far we’ve come
    John Martyn – Over the hill
    John Mellencamp – Human wheels; Small town (acoustic version)
    Men Without Hats – Safety Dance
    Steve Miller Band - Dance dance dance
    Ministry - Reload
    Keb Mo – Everything I need
    Moody Blues – Forever autumn
    Morphine – In spite of me
    Mott the Hoople - I wish I was your mother
    Shawn Mullins – Homemade wine; Ninth ward pickin’ parlor (album)
    Peter Mulvey – If love is not enough
    Muse – Blackout
    Nash the Slash – (and FM) Black noise; Guns and sandwiches; I'll wait for you
    Needtobreathe – (tbc)
    Nenes Koza Dabasa – track 3
    The Nightwatchman – Alone without you
    North Mississippi Allstars – Tate county; Used to be

24. The following members say thank you to emmadragon for this post:

O-S
    The O'Keanes - This ain't love
    Mike Oldfield – The Bell; Portsmouth; Taurus 3; Tubular bells 2
    Joan Osborne – Can’t say no; Hallelujah in the city (mandola); Saint Teresa
    Paddy and the Rats – Off the waggon; Paddy’s ballad; You never walk alone
    Jimmy Page & Robert Plant – Battle of Evermore; Nobody’s fault but mine
    Luan Parle - Free
    Alan Parson Project – Pavane
    Gram Parsons – Cash on the barrelhead/hickory wind
    Jaco Pastorius – Birdland; The juggler
    PAX217 – What is love
    Dave Pegg – Barnes Morris
    A Perfect Circle - (What’s so funny 'bout) peace, love and understanding
    Tom Petty – It’ll all work out
    Plainsong – (tbc)
    Robert Plant – Colors of a shade; If I were a carpenter
    The Pogues – Sunny side of the street
    Poison – Stand
    The Proclaimers – (tbc)
    Procul Harum – Grand hotel
    The Push Stars – Any little town
    Gerry Rafferty – The ark; Clear day; Don’t give up on me; The girl’s got no confidence; It’s gonna be a long night; Late again; Why won’t you talk to me; Wrong thinking
    The Ragbirds – (tbc)
    Bonnie Raitt – Cool cool water; Longing in their hearts; Louise; No getting’ over you; Roadtested; Your sweet and shining eyes
    Amy Ray – Johnny Rotten; Let it ring
    REM – Hairshirt; Half a world away; Losing my religion; Mandolin strum; Man on the moon; Monty got a raw deal; Wrong child; You are the everything
    The Replacements – Here comes a regular; I will dare
    Chris Robinson – Barefoot by the cherry tree
    Jerry Rockwell & Niles Hokkanen – Blues in D
    Rolling Stones – Factory girl; Love in vain
    Linda Ronstadt – Blue bayou; Dreams of the San Joaquin; Give me a reason
    Arlen Roth – Paradise blues
    Rush – Half the world (mandola); Test for echo (mandola); Workin’ them angels
    Jimmy Ryan – everything!
    Seals and Crofts – Diamond girl; Ridin’ thumb; Summer breeze; We may never pass this way again
    Charlie Sexton – Probably saved my life
    Shakira – Gypsy
    Vonda Shepard – Searchin’ my soul
    Michele Shocked – The L&M don’t stop here anymore; Memories of east Texas
    Sinnerboy – Goin’ to my hometown
    Slim Chance – How come
    The Smiths – Please please let me get what I want
    Sons of Sylvia – 50 ways
    Soundgarden – Down on the upside; Ty Cobb
    Spinal Tap – Stonehenge; This is Spinal Tap
    Split Enz - Matinee idyll; Maybe; Sweet talking spoon; Titus
    Rick Springfield – Saint Sahara
    Bruce Springsteen – Atlantic City; Glory days; Incident on 57th street; Into the Fire; Land of hope and dreams; Maria’s bed; We are alive
    Ringo Starr – Sunshine life for me
    Steeleye Span - The Blacksmith; Cam Ye O'er Frae France; Gower Wassail; Lovely On The Water; One Misty Moisty Morning; Spotted Cow
    Al Stewart - Road to Moscow
    Rod Stewart – Farewell; Gasoline alley; Leave Virginia alone; Maggie May; Mandolin wind; (You make me feel like) a natural man
    Sting – All this time; Soul cake
    String Cheese Incident – probably everything?
    Styx – Boat on the river
    Dave Swarbrick - Arthur McBride/Snug In A Blanket; Both Ears & The Tail; Grey Daylight/The Hawk/The Ten Pound Fiddle; Hullichans'/Chorus Jig; It Suits Me Well; Jamaica/With All My Heart; Lady In The Boat/Rosin The Bow/Timour The Tarter; Lift The Lid And Listen; Once I loved A Maiden Fair; Rags, Reels & Airs; The Rakes of Sollohad; Sean O'Dwyer Of The Glen/The Hag With The Money/Sleepy Maggie; Sir Charles Coote/ Smiths; Wat Ye Wha I Met The Streen/The Ribbons of the Redheaded Girl/Ril Gan Ainm; When The Battle Is Over; The White Cockade/Doc Boyd's Jig/Durham Rangers
    Swingers - True or false

- - - Updated - - -

T-Z
    Taj Mahal – Celebrated walkin’ blues
    Tea Party - Shadow on the mountain side; Sister awake
    Richard Thompson – Boomtown; Business on You; Fully Qualified To Be Your Man; The Guernsey kitchen porter; Harry's Theme; Keep Your Distance; The Little Beggar Girl; Missie How You Let Me Down; One Door Opens; Outside Of The Inside; The Poor Boy Is Taken Away; Put Your Trust In Me; Rockin' In Rhythm; Roll Up; Sights And Sounds of London; Smiffey's Glass Eye; Watching the Dark Knife-Edge; When I Get To The Border
    Toad the Wet Sprocket – Walk on the ocean
    The Tossers – (tbc)
    Toto - 99
    Pete Townshend/Ronnie Lane – Annie (ukulele?); April fool; Nowhere to run (ukuklele?)
    The Tragically Hip – Thompson girl
    The Travelling Wilburys – If you belonged to me
    Eva Trout – 470; Beautiful South; Birthmark; Happy Pantomime; Leave It Behind; Marshlands of revival; Mazzie; A Timeless Tale
    U2 – White as snow
    The Ukranians – Pretty vacant
    Uncle Tupelo – Acuff rose
    Midge Ure – Breathe (album); Fields of fire; Free; Lay my body down; May your good lord
    Van Morrison – I want to roo you; Moonshine whiskey
    Eddie Vedder – Rise
    Suzanne Vega – (I’ll never be) your Maggie May; Last year’s troubles
    Vigilantes of Love – Anybody’s Guess; River of love; Undertow
    Butch Walker – Bodegas and blood; The closest thing to you I’m gonna find; Dublin crow; Going back/going home; Synthesizers (banjolin); That side of you; The 3 kids in Brooklyn
    Wally – Sunday walking lady
    The Waterboys – Crown; Fisherman’s blues; Further up, further in; How long will I love you; In search of the rose; Night Falls on London; Raggle taggle gypsy; Song from the end of the world; We are Jonah
    Weddings Parties Anything – Hug my back; If you gotta go; Manana, manana; Never again; Step in step out; Wide open road
    Weezer – Hold on
    Whippersnapper (Dave Swarbrick) – see Dave Swarbrick
    White Stripes – Little Ghost
    The Who – Mike Post’s theme; Two thousand years
    Widespread Panic – Pickin’ up the pieces
    Wilco – Blue eyed soul
    The Wild Seeds – (tbc)
    Jesse Winchester – Yankee lady
    Johnny Winter – Bad luck and trouble; I’m not sure; Too much seconal
    Steve Winwood – Back in the high life again
    The Woods Band – As I roved out (mandola); Noisey Johnny (mandola)
    Yes – In the presence of; I’ve seen all good people; Wondrous Stories
    Frank Zappa – We are not alone
    Warren Zevon – Networking; Nobody’s in love this year

26. The following members say thank you to emmadragon for this post:

Registered User maudlin mandolin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Offhand I can only think of two number one hits featuring mandolin - Rod Stewart's "Maggie May" and (only four years earlier) Petula Clark's "This is my Song". Can anyone add any more?
    In any event I think Petula should be added to this list.

Led Zepplin had a song, Battle of Evermore that featured the mandolin which was over dubbed many times. I taught it maybe 15 years ago to a student but it never sunk in.