Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 111213141516 LastLast

Thread: listing of rock songs w/mando

Default Re: listing of rock songs w/mando

Being someone whose curiosity often gets the better of him, I checked the hat definition in my OED and, although section 5. “Phrases and locutions: a. Referring to the custom of uncovering the head as a mark of reverence, courtesy, or salutation” was very informative, it did not mention “hats off”. As such, I was forced to consult the internets (plural is more fun here), where the consensus seems to favor the non-apostrophe variant. Logically, I could make the argument for either version, depending on context. The English language is such fun and noodling around the dictionary a good way to start one’s day. Thanks for the excuse.

I’ve gotten a lot of value from the Learn/Lessons section of the Cafe.

Cheers

- Denis

2. The following members say thank you to Denis Kearns for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

That all sounds remarkably similar the whys, wherefores, and hows that explain where a lot of my time goes during the course of the day. It's like, "Hmmm, I never thought about that before, yet it's been there all the time. I wonder how it came to be ..." Hours may go by and knowledge is acquired (hopefully) while spending time learning.

I would think non-' too, especially these days, during which a great many people are rather lax about exactitude in typing, though the phrase predates that. But these days, one is most likely to see "'s" misapplied, as a means of indicating plurality, than correctly applied as a possessive. Eh. Inattentiveness abounds online, in favor of speediness. I guess that's the reason.

Then again ... in the idiom section of this "dictionary," they use an apostrophe in the example offered for their second definition of the non-apostrophe phrase. Meh.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

4. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Here's The Guess Who with "I Can't Live with You But I Can't Live without You" with Domenic Troiano on mandolin at about 3:00. The song's more country than rock, but The Guess Who was definitely a rock band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8cW...GuessWho-Topic

Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Blog Entries

Thanks for that. Pretty goldanged lush sound for a mandolin there, particularly on a country-rock song.

Now, I hope your info is correct. I just went to the wiki, and didn't see any mandolin credit at all - not on the song, nor Dom's contributions to the album. Nor is it mentioned on his wiki page. And the only credits on the album itself are song titles, songwriters (Cummings-Troiano), and producer. It is listed on the discogs.com entry; I don't know if that's considered a reliable source by wikipedia. But based on your say-so, I went and added the credit on the album. We'll see how long that stands. Meanwhile, if you can provide some sort of verifiable attribution - like if you have the album and it's on there - that would be great. Also, if it's played on any other song. Thanks!

Funny, it doesn't show up on his other bands' albums. I don't know anything about Mandala or Bush, but I can see how it wouldn't fit in the James Gang (he replaced Joe Walsh on guitar, and stayed with them for two albums).

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Have a look at Domenic Troiano's website, the middle of the paragraph below the photo of Domenic with Burton Cummings in a car.

https://www.troianomusic.com/guess.html

And here's information about Mandala (a.k.a., Mandala Soul Crusade), Troiano's Toronto band that played a dance at my high school in Windsor, Ontario, in 1968-69, as did Alice Cooper, circa 1970, without a mandolin but with hot dogs and basketballs to throw at the crowd. No one was actually dancing at Alice's show; we sat on the floor as though attending a show. The principal wasn't impressed. Alice Cooper's group was the last rock band to play at our school. This happened soon after the chicken incident in Toronto made him famous. We in Windsor were tied into the Detroit music scener, Detroit being the American suburb of our city. We got Alice at the pre-fame rate. On the other hand, we danced to Mandala. Knowing that Troiano played mandolin make me re-examine the name Mandala.

https://www.troianomusic.com/mandala.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alice Cooper.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	201277
    Last edited by Ranald; May-26-2022 at 11:03pm.
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."

Blog Entries

AHA! That might could work. I wouldn't be surprised if the wiki wonks look askance at self-owned websites as being reliable sources of info. But perhaps the fact that someone else is the author, coupled with the gravitas of the person in question being deceased, may sway the day, if it comes to that. I hope it doesn't come to that.

I'll hazard a guess that this is the instrument's only appearance on a Guess Who record, judging by the way the mention is worded. It's clear to me he was quite adept at playing it. I passed on adding it to the list of instruments played on his page, because it's just the one time and I don't want to push it . even though it does deserve a mention, to my thinking.

This is a bit puzzling, coming from someone who was in the Canadian band (albeit a later incarnation) that had the biggest presence in the US in the 60s: "If any Canadian outfit had the talent to make it south of the border during the '60s, it was Toronto outfit Mandala." And I'll see your Guess Who and raise you a Paupers. I'll grant that they weren't as big here as there, but to my mind they were great. "Magic People" is one of my all-time favorite albums, and I still listen to it a half century later. And let's not forget they were poised right on the brink of success, when disaster struck. Their appearance at Monterey Pop went haywire, and they never recovered. Too bad. I would have loved to have seen them. (There are about 13 seconds of their music in the movie, in the background.)

I mentioned on another thread I was able to pull in CKLW sometimes at night, if the atmospheric conditions were right, all the way from CT/RI. I recall it was a kicking rock and roll station, and had an exotic flair, being so far away and in another country. No mandolins though. (Note: Lame attempt at providing both rock and roll and mandolin elements for the sake of relevance. )

But no chickens - please!

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    AHA! That might could work. I wouldn't be surprised if the wiki wonks look askance at self-owned websites as being reliable sources of info. But perhaps the fact that someone else is the author, coupled with the gravitas of the person in question being deceased, may sway the day, if it comes to that. I hope it doesn't come to that.

I'll hazard a guess that this is the instrument's only appearance on a Guess Who record, judging by the way the mention is worded. It's clear to me he was quite adept at playing it. I passed on adding it to the list of instruments played on his page, because it's just the one time and I don't want to push it . even though it does deserve a mention, to my thinking.

This is a bit puzzling, coming from someone who was in the Canadian band (albeit a later incarnation) that had the biggest presence in the US in the 60s: "If any Canadian outfit had the talent to make it south of the border during the '60s, it was Toronto outfit Mandala." And I'll see your Guess Who and raise you a Paupers. I'll grant that they weren't as big here as there, but to my mind they were great. "Magic People" is one of my all-time favorite albums, and I still listen to it a half century later. And let's not forget they were poised right on the brink of success, when disaster struck. Their appearance at Monterey Pop went haywire, and they never recovered. Too bad. I would have loved to have seen them. (There are about 13 seconds of their music in the movie, in the background.)

I mentioned on another thread I was able to pull in CKLW sometimes at night, if the atmospheric conditions were right, all the way from CT/RI. I recall it was a kicking rock and roll station, and had an exotic flair, being so far away and in another country. No mandolins though. (Note: Lame attempt at providing both rock and roll and mandolin elements for the sake of relevance. )

But no chickens - please!
    I get your point. The mandolin solo seems to be a one-off, a surprisingly good one at that. I don't get the feeling that Dominic was "fooling around" with a mandolin on this recording. He was an Italian immigrant to Canada. I suspect that he learned mandolin as a lad in his Toronto Italian community. The music journalist, Nicholas Jennings, in Before The Gold Rush suggests that bad timing and too many drugs caused a number of 60's Toronto bands to fail in the US, (i.e., the big time). However, I'd argue that Mandala wasn't up there with the Guess Who, Neil Young, Steppenwolf, and others who did make it. I was going to include "The Band' but who was up there with them? They even had mandolin players.

CKLW in Windsor had a huge transmission tower, broadcasting from our city of 120,000 in the 60's to Detroit, with a population of 5,000,000,000, and much of the mid-west. CKLW had a TV station too, on which many later Motown stars made their first appearances, especially on the after-school dance show "Swingin' Time." I remember seeing teenaged Gladys Knight and the Pips on an intermission on Bill Kennedy's Showtime. Bill showed movies, with discussions during intermissions. There's plenty about CKLW on YouTube. I sometimes listened to radio from NYC at night while summering in Prince Edward Island. The Cree playwright, Thompson Highway, told in his memoir of listening to WWVA from Wheeling, West Virginia at night, on a transistor hanging from a tree, in his community on the border of Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and the Northwest Territories -- check out where that is on Google Maps.
    Last edited by Ranald; May-27-2022 at 1:14pm.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    CKLW in Windsor had a huge transmission tower, broadcasting from our city of 120,000 in the 60's to Detroit, with a population of 5,000,000,000, and much of the mid-west.
    I believe you're a wee bit off there. I think the Brits say "billion" when they mean "million" (US), but still write it as two groups (bi-) of thousands.

Anyway ... the main point is I'm glad not only that there is this addition to the lexicon of rock mandolin appearances, but that it is verifiable in two ways, if it ever becomes an issue.

Oh, and yes, I listened to WWVA sometimes, too. And I could pick up NYC station, WNEW maybe, that had an amazing blues show on Saturday nights. Perhaps the most surprising airwaves story I have, though, concerns my little Sony TV with a built-in telescoping aerial. Every now and then I'd pick up Philadelphia, more than 200 miles away, most memorably an hour-long PBS appearance by The Roches.

11. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Ranald 

You're right. We use the British system in Canada. Hmm...that makes the billionaires less impressive.

Actually, that was my mistake though. I put in too many zeros. In the 1960's, Detroit was the fifth largest city in the USA with a population of five million. It's dropped considerably since. Windsor, another auto manufacturing city, was the tenth largest in Canada, with a population of one hundred and twenty thousand. Now it has two hundred and thirty thousand. How many rock mandolins would that be?
    Last edited by Ranald; May-27-2022 at 2:33pm.

Blog Entries

Two or three, I reckon. I believe that is computed via a sliding scale, which is set up for guitars, not mandolins.

Apparently, Danny Johnson, who joined Steppenwolf in 1996 played mandolin on their albums Feed The Fire and Live in London. I don't know what tracks he played mandolin on. In fact, I didn't even know that Steppenwolf was active in 1996.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...enwolf_members
    Last edited by Ranald; May-27-2022 at 4:19pm.

15. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

Nice bit of mando at 3:20, though not as wild as I was expecting...

https://youtu.be/zhENWqdVs5Q?t=210s

17. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

Ranald 

Blog Entries

According to the wiki, the band broke up in 1972, reformed in 1974, broke up again in 1976, and reformed as "John Kay and Steppenwolf" in 1980. John Kay retired the band in 2018 after the 50th anniversary tour. Me, I'm glad I got to see them in 1968.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    Nice bit of mando at 3:20, though not as wild as I was expecting...
    Overall, not very wild. Nice enough bit, fits into the song, though nothing that will get your motor running. But it goes on the list anyway.

PS: It's a crying shame to see "Born To Be Wild" used to sell diapers.

I appreciate this thread I always try and keep a tally in my head of rock songs that have Mandolin or flute.

Did a search and didn't see it mentioned yet unless I missed it.

Elton John - Captain Fantastic and The Brown Dirt Cowboy
    Wishbone Ash - Persephone (solo at 2:37)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXQQjXwnbNA
    Last edited by OsageOrange; Jun-28-2022 at 12:40pm.

METALLICA!!!!!
    Good arpeggio/strum pattern practice here too.

https://youtu.be/_GiBwmmNwtI

Blog Entries

Thanks for that - I guess. I didn't see the time index in your post so I sludged through nearly three minutes of Wishbone Ash to hear mandolin. I'll never get that time back. Elton John has shown up a few times, but yep - not that song. Good sleuthing!

As to Metallica ... if that actually were Metallica using mandolin on a recording, that would be something. But if we're going to include mandolin arrangements of this or that, we'll be here forever. There's a yawning chasm between "rock songs with mandolin" and "rock songs played on mandolin." That used to be a rock song until a mandolinist got a hold of it. Now it's just a practice piece.

Don’t make me have to choose between Bluegrass and Heavy Metal, JourneyBear.

-Because I love both of them. Oriental music? Love that too. Russian music? I love that, and strange sounding rhythms from the continent of Africa? Yep, I love that that too.

Blog Entries

Yeah, but ... This is this, and those are those. I'm not "making you choose" between anything. This is a pretty specific topic, project, even. There are plenty of threads for those and other genres.

Ah, never mind.

I saw a mandolin in the wikipedia page photo for the british duo Let's Eat Grandma; I don't know their music, but both of the multi-instrumentalists play mandolin

Blog Entries

My opinion? Doesn't qualify. Not a rock song, no mando. Find songs by them that rate - I'll include them.

Mando at around 3:00, when the singing starts. As to rock, well don't know what to say ... she also raps at @4:00, so it's hip hop?

27. The following members say thank you to WilliamWMeyer for this post:

Lots of high end and really interesting textures.
    Wondering if it was grandad who used to play the bass. And then the ironically played mandolin as if only old people are allowed to play mandolins.
    Great music, thanks for posting!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamWMeyer View Post
    Mando at around 3:00, when the singing starts. As to rock, well don't know what to say ... she also raps at @4:00, so it's hip hop?
    Oh, OK. I listened for about a minute and had to stop. Found the overall sound really irritating. But yes, there's mandolin, albeit just as an accent, and not well played. But my taste doesn't matter; the goal with this list is to be as inclusive as possible. I think!

If anyone finds anything more from them with mandolin, please give the song title and a time index. I want to verify, but also want to hear as little as possible from them. Thank you.

30. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Tom G 

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Plamen Ivanov View Post
    Rolling Stones - "Love in vain"
    Yeah, that's Ry Cooder playing it.
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Elle, I notice that the Waterboys aren't on your list. Just in case no one has mentioned 'en yet, here's a good place to start:

Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)