Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 1213141516

Thread: listing of rock songs w/mando

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Default Re: listing of rock songs w/mando

Quote Originally Posted by Denis Kearns View Post
    Being someone whose curiosity often gets the better of him, I checked the hat definition in my OED and, although section 5. “Phrases and locutions: a. Referring to the custom of uncovering the head as a mark of reverence, courtesy, or salutation” was very informative, it did not mention “hats off”. As such, I was forced to consult the internets (plural is more fun here), where the consensus seems to favor the non-apostrophe variant. Logically, I could make the argument for either version, depending on context. The English language is such fun and noodling around the dictionary a good way to start one’s day. Thanks for the excuse.

I’ve gotten a lot of value from the Learn/Lessons section of the Cafe.

Cheers

- Denis
    Well, sure. Context decides. It's not a possessive, just to get that out of the way. It only wants an apostrophe when it's a contraction, like My hat is off to the band. When it's short for Let's take our hats off to the band, an apostrophe would be wrong.
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    Elle, I notice that the Waterboys aren't on your list. Just in case no one has mentioned 'en yet, here's a good place to start:
    Actually, The Waterboys are on the list, with at least nine songs,including this one, going back to 2009, when I first got involved with this. This humunculus has grown to be rather large and unwieldy, with so much information that it has to be spread over three posts due to character limits. So I've taken to using the "search thread" function, which works really well.

Oh, and I believe there's nothing to be gained by addressing ellebrille directly. One of the most intriguing and mysterious members, IMO, he/she started this thread and has never posted again. Sometimes I wonder about that ...
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

I keep threatening - er, promising to compile and collate the list so as to get it to its most current and complete state. I think it's become pretty clear I don't want to do it, or I would have sometime during this period of promising. It's a pretty good-sized chore, and even though I discovered quite some time ago during my office manager days that I have a knack for grunt work, I've since realized its tendency to dull the senses can be offputting. So I've been putting it off.

However, if someone wants to take on this project - collecting, collating, and compiling all the suggestions presented since the list got neatened up, I'll volunteer my services insofar as proofreading and editing are concerned. Or if a few people want to convene and divide up the project into manageable bits, perhaps even form a social group, I'm up for that. Perhaps the list might operate better as a blog. I'm open to suggestions. Any way to keep from leaving this incredibly important and useful resource unfinishe

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Your basic Russian Country Rock band.

5. The following members say thank you to lowtone2 for this post:

Ranald 

Quote Originally Posted by jefflester View Post
    Came across these guys on the TV at Tillys at the mall. Turns out the mandolin player is Kate Bush's nephew.

Can't see that link now, here's another. It's at 1:14, anyone know what make?

https://youtu.be/afjAXC7apnM?feature=shared
    Last edited by Simon DS; Jan-28-2024 at 12:45pm.

Blog Entries

There's a better view at :54 in which the headstock can be seen. The player is constantly dancing with it so a steady glimpse isn't possible. Here's the best I could do for a screen grab:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Army Dreamer Mandolin.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	211868

Rose Tattoo - Dropkick Murphys
    Dance Tonite - Paul McCartney
    Rise - Eddie Vedder
    Back in the High Life - Steve Winwood
    Magnet - Punch Brothers
    Summer Breeze - Seals & Crofts
    Last edited by Rockpopmando; Feb-23-2024 at 9:38am. Reason: Added a few more songs

Blog Entries

Please, buddy - search the list before adding. Why people don't do this, I don't know. I will grant that it hasn't been updated in a long while, but it is searchable, as is every thread here. The latest updated version runs from Post #225-227 - it's that long - or Post #296-298, which I haven't verified yet. I keep trying to talk myself into doing the grunt work, and maybe now I'm greatly retired I might just. Anyone else who wishes to do this instead of waiting for me, please go right ahead.

I'll not argue that Dropkick Murphys are underrepresented here - just one other song. So are The Pogues - also just one song. I don't know enough about either of them to work on their contributions to rock; if someone else does, go for it. Same with Punch Brothers - not familiar with their catalogue, and they may have plenty of songs that rock enough. But the others are on the list - and if you think "Summer Breeze" hasn't been mentioned before - please!

10. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

https://youtu.be/fZxKAqMe5s4?feature=shared

^^^ Didn't read the entire thread so I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but Charlie Sexton's Sunday Clothes has a mandolin in it.

Blog Entries

No, it hasn't been mentioned. Know how I know that? I used the Search Thread function - typed the song title in it, came up empty.

To double check, I searched on his name. Came up with "Probably Saved My Life," no others.

Took a minute and a half.

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    No, it hasn't been mentioned. Know how I know that? I used the Search Thread function - typed the song title in it, came up empty.

To double check, I searched on his name. Came up with "Probably Saved My Life," no others.

Took a minute and a half.
    Great song. Sexton is Dylan and Costello's lead player. A true master of the guitar. That song Sunday Clothes is from circa 1995 on his brilliant solo record Under The Wishing Tree.

"We were singin' those hymns over and over again
    Sunday mornin' Sunday evenin' Wednesday night
    I never understood it all that well back then
    But it probably saved my life"

The search feature didn't dawn on me. I'll remember that. Thanks.

14. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Blog Entries

You betcha. Seems obvious to me - how else is someone going to deal with a thread that's nearing 400 posts - but I get it, someone has a notion of a song they like but doesn't know if anyone else knows it, maybe doesn't want to put a lot of time into bringing it up or into the fold, or something. But it really doesn't take long to check.

I know I keep saying I'm thinking of updating the list - collating, alphabetizing, checking for duplications, omissions, speeling errers, all that editorial stuff. It's a lot of grunt work, for sure, so I keep procrastinating. But it just occurred to me ... I'm taking a trip down to Key West in a couple of weeks (which I promised I wouldn't, for a while), to participate in the annual Conch Shell Blowing Contest, which is going to be filmed for posterior (that's motivation), and then the following weekend, my old band will have its annual St. Patrick's Day gig, which I can sit in for and recoup some of my travel expense. I'll have a fair amount of down time during the intervening week, so I might just be able to talk myself into spending a day or few in the library sorting through all this. The AC is nice there.

So go ahead folks, put on your thinking caps and ring in with suggestions - just please check for dupes first. Also, fans of bands like The Pogues, Dropkick Murphys, The Waterboys, Toad The Wet Sprocket, Imagine Dragons - anyone who uses mandolin a lot or even a little, please post titles of songs that actually feature mandolin. I don't know them and others well enough to know which of their songs include mandolin. Heck, I don't even know whether Seals And Crofts used mandolin all the time. The thread title mentions songs, so that's what the main idea is, not just bands that use it. Thanks!