Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516 LastLast

Thread: listing of rock songs w/mando

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: listing of rock songs w/mando

Eh? There's been a lot added since then. Maybe not so much Skynyrd, if that's what you meant. But if you use the "search thread" function to find whether a certain song has been mentioned, you may be surprised by what you'll learn.

However, this list, as it stands, is a big mish-mash of various attempts to consolidate it into one complete (if ever-changing) compendium. Part of the problem is it exceeds the character limit on posts, and so must be presented in segments. I keep promising to update it, but it is a daunting task. I'm beginning to think it may work better as a wikipedia page. At least then if would appear as a single uninterrupted alpha list. I fear, though, that it will be subjected to much unwanted input (they call it "vandalism") and thus require much supervision.

And I'll reiterate, as I've felt it necessary to do so repeatedly: Anyone interested in adding a song - please use the "search thread" function to find whether it has been mentioned already. Thanks.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers. "It'll All Work Out"

Blog Entries

It's on the list. It was first mentioned in Post #63, from 2008. And it's in the compiled collated list.

Please, people. Check before posting. Use the "Search Thread" function. It takes just a few seconds to find out whether you've thought of something new or are merely repeatedly repeating a repetitive repetition repetitively.

I keep saying I'll go through the thread and update the list. This is part of the process of talking myself into performing a time-consuming task that produces a result which seems to be utilized much less often than it should. It's Sisyphean. Yet I believe it should be done. Though, honestly, I wish someone else would do it. But I don't expect anyone else will step up. And it may well be no one cares. The information is available even in its uncompiled form, if people would just look. It seems that is an enormous "if." Sigh ...

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I really miss Tom Petty.
    Those were the days!

In fact there’s a lot of Tom Petty music that could do with bit more mandolin.

Blog Entries

Now that is true. It's worth noting that his first bass player, the late and lamented Howie Epstein, played mandolin as well. And remember, Chris Hillman, the bass player in The Byrds - a major influence on Tom Petty's sound - also went on to play mandolin. I don't think in The Byrds, but in later bands. I picked up on this partly because I followed a similar path - I started on bass, just a little before I got gifted a mandolin. Both have four courses, corresponding to four fingers. Makes sense to me.

Tried the search, as was surprised not to find "Back in the High Life" by Steve Winwood, which I play.
    Also, Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, and Howe's "Birthright" a great song, starting out with Steve Howe on classical, and has Mandolin in the final chorus.

Blog Entries

It's in there. I don't think that other one is, though. Not sure which artist to cite for that. Is that a one-off collaboration? Or is that Yes?

OK, guess I'll try to carve out some time to update the list this week. It's a PITA, a lot of grunt work. One of the main problems is it's too long - won't fit into one post. It's spread out over three posts now. I'm thinking about putting this into a blog - maybe there's more room available in one.

Blog Entries

BTW, in the process of running that down, I noticed someone has included "I’ve Seen All Good People." I don't recall there being mandolin on that. Also, these three Springsteen songs. I know The Band use mandolin on their cover of "Atlantic City," but does Bruce? And I don't recall hearing it in the other two. Anyone know for sure?

Bruce Springteen – Atlantic City
    Bruce Springteen - Glory Days
    Bruce Springteen - Incident on 57th Street

The wiki credits himself for mandolin on "Wild Billy's Circus Story," Track#4 on "The Wild ..." but not "Incident ...," Track #6. It doesn't do track-by-track credits for "Born In The USA," just credits Steve Van Zandt for mandolin. It may well be on "Glory Days." I dunno.

See why I don't want to do this? Getting the story straight involves more work than one might think. And the pay scale, not so good ...

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    It's in there. I don't think that other one is, though. Not sure which artist to cite for that. Is that a one-off collaboration? Or is that Yes?
    Sorry, didn't see it.
    ABWH did one album and tour. Formed after Yes' Big Generator album. Led to the conglomeration of the Union album and tour with both Guitarists, keyboardists, and drummers, Jon and Chris.

Blog Entries

Aha. Interesting. I loved Yes in the early years, which coincided with college for me. From "The Yes Album" to "Close To The Edge," but especially "Fragile." They began to get a bit too "out there," too long-form for me. But those albums ... I lost and/or gained a lot of brain cells listening to them under various conditions. BTW, I do not see any credits for mandolin on "I’ve Seen All Good People," so that's coming off.

Yes, Chris Hillman, after the Byrds, founded the Desert Rose Band, kind of a bluegrass/country/rock hybrid and played mandolin and guitar.

I guess it's sort of relevant.

13. The following members say thank you to lowtone2 for this post:

Blog Entries

Yeppers. Actually, rather relevant. I wasn't sure whether he played it in Manasssas, Souther-Hillman-Furay, or DRB. Also, I see where someone has included a few Byrds songs on the list, which I'll have to check. I don't remember that being the case.

For some slightly less relevant info I saw Desert Rose Band - in the same venue where I'd seen The Byrds in 1965, my first rock show.

Aha. Interesting. I loved Yes in the early years, which coincided with college for me. From "The Yes Album" to "Close To The Edge," but especially "Fragile." They began to get a bit too "out there," too long-form for me. But those albums ... I lost and/or gained a lot of brain cells listening to them under various conditions. BTW, I do not see any credits for mandolin on "I’ve Seen All Good People," so that's coming off.
    ISAGP is Steve's "portugese guitar" I believe. There's also a bit of mandolin tremolo on his wonderful "Nature of the Sea" instrumental from his Beginnings solo album and on "All's a Chord" from The Steve Howe Album. I was in High School when I first heard Fragile. Played that cassette until the tape was dust!

Blog Entries

Thanks for contributing, not only to the list, but to my understanding of Yes. While reading up on them, I realized I didn't really get into them until "The Yes Album," coinciding with the arrival of Steve Howe. My interest peaked with the next album, "Fragile," and continued through "Close To The Edge" and "Tales," though it was on the wane. I see Howe played a Spanish laúd, misidentified as a vachalia on the album.

Yeppers. Actually, rather relevant. I wasn't sure whether he played it in Manasssas, Souther-Hillman-Furay, or DRB.
    I saw Hillman with Manassas, and he definitely played mandolin in that context.

This concert footage shows him playing an F-5 (possibly the Loar that Still bought for him) on several songs, starting about 38:35 or so.

Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

‘A Church Falling Down’. By Little Feat
    https://youtu.be/Dxa3fGMdUG4

19. The following members say thank you to mmcraig for this post:

Hootie & The Blowfish with Nanci Griffith cover Vic Chesnutt's Gravity of the Situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvu4-BIg5qQ

Chris Cornell's Follow My Way from his first solo record Euphoria Morning. Mandolin played by Alain Johannes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbCNooEmgOk
    Eastman MD315 Mandolin

Aimee Mann - The Forgotten Arm - Mandolin by Jeff Trott on "King of the Jailhouse" and "Video"
    Eastman MD315 Mandolin

Blog Entries

Thanks for these. I'll bet there are other, too. I'll roll them in when I get to work on updating The List.

BTW, there are actually three lists which must be culled and collated. Maybe this is just what I should spend time on when I'm struggling with insomnia. Should put me right out. Though I fear it'll get my mind running in an interminable loop ...

The current iteration of the Jayhawks features a lot of (mostly rhythm) mandolin. Here's a recent track that opens with a mandolin lick on what looks like an A-4. Personnel aren't listed and I can't recall the player's name. Maybe someone else can fill that in. Nice song.

Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Blog Entries

John Jackson. So sayeth the wiki. They're usually right about these things. I don't know him, so if they say so. Not everybody knows ...

Could this list of “mandolin in rock songs” be located somewhere under the Cafe’s Learn/Listen section? It would be easier to check before posting and also easier to update. Maybe with song/band name/mandolin player listed, alphabetical by song title. Anyone interested in additional info could search for the original post. Just a thought, not sure if at all feasible.

Lately having fun learning the mandolin part of the Dropkick Murphy’s “Rose Tattoo”. I have no idea what constitutes a rock song these days………

Thanks to all who have contributed to this list and hat’s off to the Bear.

Sorry for the misplaced ‘

Hats off to the Bear.

Blog Entries

I'm not familiar with that section, but I'll take a look. One of the problems with the current list is its size - it's way over the character limit for a post, and must be spread over three posts. This is why I was thinking about turning it into a blog, but there may be procedural difficulties in that, too.

Running down the names of players is a nice thought, but it would be extremely time-consuming to research that. If anyone else wants to, go right ahead! . All I want to do is compile what we've got in alphabetical order - currently by band/artist only - and as long as everything is spelled correctly, it will be searchable.

FWIW, I think "hat's off" is correct, as a contraction. And thanks!