Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 123334353637

Thread: Post a Picture of Your Bowlback (or any others)

Default Re: Post a Picture of Your Bowlback (or any others)

For example, some of the labels posted by Jim here:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...l=1#post942344

Graham's explanation (post 35 in that thread) sounds oddly logical.

Honestly, Peter, I haven't a clue whether Ceccherini was more recognized as a quality instrument even in Italy. It seems from the photos of the Pietrapertosa that it has a double soundboard. Perhaps we need to do more research into all of this. There were many ex-pat Italians in other cities. If Sr. P was originally from Napoli and teaching in Paris, he prob wanted his students to know his origins and likely was importing mandolins from Napoli.

As for Voigt, if he was exclusively importing Ceccherini's mandolins into the UK than he may only have been selling them there. We don't really know, do we?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by peterk View Post
    Jim, are you referring to those four string tensioners as "brass staples" ? If I were to make a guess, I'd say those tensioners would be there whether the instrument is provisioned with an inner soundboard or not. I am not even sure the tensioners screw all the way into the 2nd soundboard. ?
    I'm pretty sure that they don't, I had to take all the strings off to replace the leather pad so I waggled a string between the sounboards and it didn't seem to meet any obstructions.

4. The following members say thank you to derbex for this post:

peterk 

Well, some makers from Naples went an extra mile when authenticating their mandolins with handwritten signatures: compared to the De Meglios, the Vinaccia brothers with their double signature do not seem peculiar any longer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	175 
Size:	152.7 KB 
ID:	116726

Here is Sophie Davies with her De Meglio, year 1898. The artist who made the sketch apparently had a very keen eye for detail veracity.

Name:	1898.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	116745Click image for larger version. 

Name:	De Meglio.JPG 
Views:	219 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	116746

Quote Originally Posted by peterk View Post
    Here is Sophie Davies with her De Meglio, year 1898. The artist who made the sketch apparently had a very keen eye for detail veracity.
    At the bottom it says "From a Photograph by A. Ramano..." I think... so they sketched from the photo. Neat. Do you own that one Peter?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I think there are a few Demeglios in this group. I had posted some details on the Antique Photo thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	womenmandogrp_UK_sm.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	116751  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    At the bottom it says "From a Photograph by A. Ramano..." I think... so they sketched from the photo. Neat. Do you own that one Peter?
    No, Jim, that was the closest mandolin to the sketched one which I could find on the internet.
    There is currently one fancy De Meglio being auctioned on eBay, with the starting bid of 800 Euro. That one has a different MOP inlay style in the soundboard edge band, and also that metal applique on the headstock. Inlaid sleeveguard too.
    If it wasn't for the headstock shape and the string tensioner design, one could confuse a fancy De Meglio for a fancy Ceccherini.

I think there are a few Demeglios in this group. I had posted some details on the Antique Photo thread.
    Yes, so do I. A very neat photo. It's interesting that a few of them have ribbons hanging from the headstock, following the old German folk music custom.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

I like how the women all fixed their hair to resemble the DeMeglio headstock. Nice accessorizing.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

I've just stumbled upon another old English photo where the mandolin looks like it belongs to the De Meglio '"System"....it's hard for me to be more precise than that. There is something odd to be seen inside the soundhole where one would just expect to see dark shade.
    What is really interesting is that the photograph's seller dates it to yr 1870. I wonder if someone has a De Meglio mandolin with such an early date ? Granted, the photograph might have been dated wrong.

Name:	Systema De Meglio.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	285.2 KB 
ID:	116901

Here's another English photo from 1903: mandolin player Miss Anita Arabella with her De Meglio (system) mandolin.

Name:	Anita Arabella 1903.JPG 
Views:	205 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	116914

"There is something odd to be seen inside the soundhole where one would just expect to see dark shade."

My Ceccherini looks a bit like that if held at a similar angle, it's the double table. Head looks like my deMeglo though

Quote Originally Posted by derbex View Post
    "There is something odd to be seen inside the soundhole where one would just expect to see dark shade."

My Ceccherini looks a bit like that if held at a similar angle, it's the double table. Head looks like my deMeglo though
    That is exactly the dilemma I had.......I also thought that whitish "thing" seen inside the soundhole could be the reinforcement truss (looking oversized for some reason ?) which was normally placed close to the soundhole, under the pickguard, as shown quite accurately on the 2nd picture above of Miss Arabella.

I just figured I bump this thread. I set it up years ago as a companion to the Bowlbacks of Note thread. There are some interesting discussions here.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

My Eastman Bowlback. I've had it for just a little over 2 months now. Liking it more everyday. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00078.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	391.0 KB 
ID:	144936Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00079.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	387.3 KB 
ID:	144937Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00076.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	374.2 KB 
ID:	144938
    1919 Gibson A3
    1920 Gibson A2
    1937 Gibson K1 Mandocello
    2015 Eastman Bowlback

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Uhrig For This Useful Post: