Thread: Women with Mandolins

Default Re: Women with Mandolins

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BCAE5F63-4353-4C73-945C-2C689F5F3F92.jpeg 
Views:	122 
Size:	259.0 KB 
ID:	201265
    The old eyes ain't what they used to be, but still -- where's the woman?
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    The old eyes ain't what they used to be, but still -- where's the woman?
    It’s the artist who’s a woman, Ranald. She’s very attractive and friendly and lovely, and she’s not in the picture.

-very nice looking mandolin though, eh?
    Very nice.
    I like that.

(Her name’s Helen).

3. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

Ranald 

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    I noted that Allison Stephens has got a mention here. Such a great loss to the mandolin world when she passed away in October 2010. Seems like only yesterday.
    Yes, indeed. It is well to keep her memory alive. She's been on my mind since I happened to watch "Fantastic Mr. Fox" about a month ago. And just last week I picked up some free DVDs the library was discarding, including that. Some very enjoyable music in it (along with everything else).
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Am kind of new here and delighted to discover "Women with Mandolins." A happy thing.

Glad to receive A J Lee's vocal on Harvest Moon.

Her voice & delivery a perfect for this song & the Brothers do her justice.

Thank you Charles E.

6. The following members say thank you to thumbknuckle for this post:

Manoela Wunder (w/Hopf bowlback mandola) and the Cafe's own mezzolyn (w/ '23 Gibson A ) at a LA mando ensemble reunion.

Name:	_1060052.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	378.6 KB 
ID:	204505
    Patrick Melly

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patrick Melly For This Useful Post:

Thank you for your kind words.
    Yes, it’s the same mandolin and me in both pictures.

Blog Entries

So I got a notice about an upcoming show by Terri Hendrix and Lloyd Maines, and noticed she was playing a mandolin. Now, I've known of and known her for going on a quarter century, and I don't recall ever having seen her play a mandolin, nor heard about the same. So off to google I go, and found some photos, which I share with all y'all. In case you didn't know, she is a fine singer/songwriter from Texas, who has put out more than a dozen albums on her own record label. Got a bit of an independent streak, you could say, a bit of a do-it-yourself-er.

Name:	Terri Hendrix 1.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	206419 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Terri Hendrix 2 20100618.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	134.3 KB 
ID:	206420 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Terri Hendrix 3.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	206421 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Terri Hendrix 6.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	206424 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Terri Hendrix 4.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	206422 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Terri Hendrix 5.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	206428Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Terri Hendrix 7.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	206425

I'm guessing that the mandolin in the first three pics is her main one - it does keep showing up. I wonder if it is the same one as in the last photo, of her with her instrument collection - before it got all those autographs. Interesting to see a matching guitar in her arsenal as well. I haven't seen the octave or bouzouki in a performance photo. And she clearly has at least one traditional style mandolin.
    Last edited by journeybear; Mar-05-2023 at 12:42am. Reason: getting things right

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

I'll just add, that's the Gold Tone Octave or Zouk (maybe even the Trinity College if it predates their switch to the Cross inlay on the headstock. I know a lot of us hacks have way more expensive instruments than many working mandolinists!

Jamie3
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

These images were shared with me by one of my biggest fans Glenn, from down under. They are of his Mother "Iris" Iris Edna Sprigg. Nee Irvine, from Adelaide Sth Australia. The first is with her banjo-mandolin and the second is her Mandolin Sextette "Play" in 1944, her shown with arrow. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glennsmom.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	207684 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glennsmomsextet.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	207685

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frankdolin For This Useful Post:

Here's another photo from Glenn that shows his Mum "Iris" in with a HUGE group of banjo-mandolins. Maybe more banjo-mandolins than ever seen in one place. And the theme, I can't figure it out. Cowboys, Indians, Gypsys, Accordians... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Banjomandolins1944.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	207797

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frankdolin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Frankdolin View Post
    Here's another photo from Glenn that shows his Mum "Iris" in with a HUGE group of banjo-mandolins. Maybe more banjo-mandolins than ever seen in one place. And the theme, I can't figure it out. Cowboys, Indians, Gypsys, Accordians... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Banjomandolins1944.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	207797
    Hey Frank!!!!... I'm just doing a test here, The 'First' is of your last pic with my Mom, (New, & now circled in Red!) to check sizes!...
    Here is a direct URL link....
    https://i.imgur.com/6oyiinm.jpg

Anyway... that's a lot of mandolins!! (Banjo Mandolins). Before 'TV' here in Australia, in about the 1960's, my Mom used to play a lot on the Radio!! xox

I'm not sure how that helps the thread. -JEStanek

Nice hat
    Last edited by JEStanek; Jun-05-2023 at 3:21pm. Reason: Not appropriate.

A miscalculation, Jamie. Sorry.

19. The following members say thank you to Mike Buesseler for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post

Anyway ... There's always time for a picture of Allison Stephens.
    I took my son to watch the Wes Anderson stop-motion film Fantastic Mr. Fox the other night, and noticed that Allison played on the soundtrack. There are also a couple of pretty hairy banjo mandolin solos that were credited to someone else, I forget the name.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

21. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Blog Entries

Yes, I also remember being astonished when I saw that credit when I first saw the movie. The wiki credits Nigel Woodhouse with guitars/banjo/mandolin. Don't know him.

Somewhere in the archives is a brief conversation I had with Ms Stephens, which probably had something to do with her part in the music for this delightful flick. It is one of my most cherished moments in my time here. Having a little chat with someone whom I hold in such high regard was quite an unexpected pleasure.

23. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Blog Entries

Just thought I'd mention it's Mindy Jostyn's birthday today; she would have turned 67. I haven't been able to find a photo of her with a mandolin - plenty of pics of her playing violin and guitar, her main instruments, along with keyboards and harmonica, and she also was a fine singer. I know she played mandolin, because I found one for her. (The long story about this and more is at the thread with her name.) But pictures of her with it? No such luck. This is the best I've been able to manage, her name in the caption of the lineup at a festival, near a mandolin, played by someone else. Sigh ... I hope someone can find a picture of her playing mandolin and post it.

I celebrated by recording the last few tracks of my latest project. I think she'd have approved.

Name:	Mindy Jostyn Guitar.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	207914 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mindy Jostyn - Not!.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	247.9 KB 
ID:	207913 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mindy Jostyn Violin.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	207915
    Last edited by journeybear; Jun-05-2023 at 8:36pm. Reason: because of on account of

25. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

This picture arrived in my email today from the California Sun newsletter. There was an article showing "glamping" (before there was a word for it) around the turn of the 20th century. I wonder what tune she's playing.

Name:	mando.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	207972
    Roger

1920 Martin Style A
    1924 Gibson A2Z "Snakehead"
    Don MacRostie designed Stuart MacDonald A-style kit I built myself.
    2022 Kentucky KM-1000B
    Plus guitars - lots of guitars
    Two banjos, a fiddle, and a tiple

Blog Entries

Could be "Shall We Gather At The River," or "Michael, Row The Boat Ashore," or good old "Row Your Boat." I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have been "Boat On The River;" that was a few years in the future.

Blog Entries

Thanks to darylcrisp posting a thread about this newcomer, we have The Mandolin Girl. Not much info on her youtube channel, just that she's been playing mandolin since Novermber 2022 (started guitar on month later) and seems to be from North Carolina. There are a handful of full videos up there, and a bunch of shorts. Probably more to come. She may be just starting out, but it's clear she loves music, and may well be keeping at it for a good long while.

Blog Entries

Oh, one more thing: In a couple of her shorts she's wearing a T-shirt with a definition of "mandolinist" on it. Since her instrument is blocking most of it, I headed to google to see what the whole story is.

Name:	Mandolinist T-Shirt.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	388.5 KB 
ID:	208200

Now, before you go getting all excited about that, this is someone's etsy store, and there are similar shirts accommodating all kinds of instrumentalists, including vibraphonists, drummers, and those playing drums with a neck attached.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1190558...SABEgIau_D_BwE
    Last edited by journeybear; Jun-23-2023 at 9:17pm. Reason: getting things right

Quote Originally Posted by frankdolin View Post
    these images were shared with me by one of my biggest fans glenn, from down under. They are of his mother "iris" iris edna sprigg. Nee irvine, from adelaide sth australia. The first is with her banjo-mandolin and the second is her mandolin sextette "play" in 1944, her shown with arrow. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glennsmom.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	207684 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glennsmomsextet.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	207685
    i hereby request that 'all' posts by frank, relating to either my mother or myself, be immediately removed!!! Frank 'no' longer has or had any permission to post such info/pics... He is 'not' the person i 'once' knew....
    I also request to this forum management, to 'remove' my membership!!!

Blog Entries

Hey Glenn, you probably won't see this, but if you do, whatever disagreement you have with frankdolin, it shouldn't have to come to this, IMO. I don't have any stake in this, of course, but I like seeing posts from folks from all around the world. You can stick around here and put frankdolin on your Ignore List, so you won't see any of his posts. I don't think you can fully block a member, though. If you are dead set on leaving us anyway, I'm pretty sure you can delete your membership yourself. I wish you well in all your endeavors.

I'm sorry to see anything of this sort here. People from a very wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and personalities meet here and have an overwhelmingly agreeable time even when they don't fully agree, all brought here by a love for the mandolin.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

Just thought I'd mention it's Mindy Jostyn's birthday today; she would have turned 67. I haven't been able to find a photo of her with a mandolin - plenty of pics of her playing violin and guitar, her main instruments, along with keyboards and harmonica, and she also was a fine singer. I know she played mandolin, because I found one for her. (The long story about this and more is at the thread with her name.) But pictures of her with it? No such luck. This is the best I've been able to manage, her name in the caption of the lineup at a festival, near a mandolin, played by someone else. Sigh ... I hope someone can find a picture of her playing mandolin and post it.
    Couldn't you take a screen shot of one of the videos of her playing mandolin? That would provide you with a pic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5zStz27w2U

Blog Entries

Hmmm ... Hadn't thought of that. Thanks. I haven't searched for videos of her with a mandolin, just photos. I won't use this video though - that's Eric Bazilian playing the double-neck.

Hmmm ... Hadn't thought of that. Thanks. I haven't searched for videos of her with a mandolin, just photos. I won't use this video though - that's Eric Bazilian playing the double-neck.
    While you're looking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MindyJostyn.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	157.6 KB 
ID:	208254  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

36. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post: