Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: LoarFest Reports...Please!

Blog Entries

Close-up or Roger Siminoff with Dan standing and Charlie to the right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	loar_panel2.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	13632  

Blog Entries

Loar's viola, or whatever hybrid this is... violin/viola.

Name:	siminoff_loar_viola.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	13634  

Blog Entries

Tom Isenhour's Monroe case. The story he related was that Tut Taylor made this for Monroe and the date was incorrect so another was made that Monroe carried for decades. Tut never made another although he's had plenty of offers. Maybe Tom or someone else can correct that story in case I've not relayed it correctly.

Name:	isenhour_monroe_case.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	13635  

Blog Entries

Hands down the best dressed guy at LoarFest, but only because Buck Owens didn't show for the festival (that I was aware of), this is Tom Isenhour.

Name:	tom_i1.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	13636  

Blog Entries

Cafe board member dasspunk! He owns a beautiful Ben Wilcox F in an orange finish that was spectacular.

Name:	dasspunk.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	13638  

Blog Entries

I love this mandolin and have played it several times now. An F4 model. Sounds as good as it looks. On the left is dasspunk and on the right is the builder of the F4, Hans Brentrup.

Name:	brentrup_f4_dasspunk_hans.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	13639  

Blog Entries

Michael Heiden and Lawrence Smart.

Name:	heiden_smart.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	13640  

Blog Entries

Picture of the new Gibson case Charlie Derrington had along. Sorry for the condition of the pictures of this. Not the greatest photo job on my part but you get the idea. Great looking case.

Name:	new_gibson_case1.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	173.7 KB 
ID:	13641  

Blog Entries

Stephen Ruffo who runs Wintergrass and the Mandolin Symposium (L) chatting with Darryl Wolfe of the F5 Journal in the center.

Name:	ruffo_darryl.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	13644  

Blog Entries

That's it for my pix for now. Have a few more I'll attempt to work with. Had some issues with a camera setting apparently so quite a few pix didn't come out as hoped.

This was an incredible event. With the responsibilities I had with the panel discussion I wasn't able to get around to look at everything as much as hoped. Darryl, Tom and Roger had some simply incredible items from early Gibson history. To say it was mind blowing would be an understatement.

Looking forward to seeing Dan's additions to the archive in the future. Quite a few previously unphotographed Loars got their pictures taken.

Blog Entries

That's it for my pix for now. Have a few more I'll attempt to work with. Had some issues with a camera setting apparently so quite a few pix didn't come out as hoped.

This was an incredible event. With the responsibilities I had with the panel discussion I wasn't able to get around to look at everything as much as hoped. Darryl, Tom and Roger had some simply incredible items from early Gibson history. To say it was mind blowing would be an understatement.

Looking forward to seeing Dan's additions to the archive in the future. Quite a few previously unphotographed Loars got their pictures taken. Hope to add myself John Reischman holding his new Gibson. Got that picture but will likely post that and a couple of others tomorrow or Monday.

Looks like an awesome event. All of those vintage mandolins plus all of the current builders that were mentioned. Talk about mandolin heaven. The pic of the Brentrup F4 just fuels my MAS even more!

Thanks for all the pictures. It sure looks like I missed a great time... maybe next year. So many great mandolins, and so much knowledge in one place, how could you stand it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (sgarrity @ Feb. 04 2006, 15:33)
    Looks like an awesome event. #All of those vintage mandolins plus all of the current builders that were mentioned. #Talk about mandolin heaven. #The pic of the Brentrup F4 just fuels my MAS even more!
    Be glad you didn't PLAY that instrument. Hans has a way with MAS. oooh my aching wallet.

Ok I could take a second mortgage... But then the divorce would kill half the proceeds from that. Hmm

Daniel

The LoarFest and Supergrass was great! A lot of good music and very nice people. Add a room full of Loars to the mix and great workshops with Dan, Tony Williamson, and Mike Compton and I don't see how you could get any better.

I just wish that I had more (or any) money in the piggy bank so I could have taken home a nice eight string souvenier from Michael Lewis, or Hans Brentrup, or Lawrence Smart, or ..., well, you get the idea.

Pete
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

It's 4:30am, and I'm throwing in the towel (5am the previous night).... here's about a penny's worth of my 2 cents...

This was an absolutely fantastic show. I couldn't find enough time to do half the things I'd hoped to (including taking a single picture). Say what you will about CA (and I say plenty... believe me) but the folks here throw a mean fest. My only complaint was that the hotel's air conditioners couldn't seem to cool down the 9th floor! Must have been all the hot picking?

It was great to finally meet our host Scott... we were both perusing (with various amounts of drool) the builder's offerings at the same time. I was completely blown away by the mandos from all of the builders. Michael Lewis, besides being an incredibly nice guy, had some smokin' mandos on display. And as Scott mentioned, Han's Italian spruce topped F4 is just sick!. It made my wallet cry like a little baby. For giggles, I asked Hans and Michael if they'd build one in orange! Jamie Wiens and I keep running into each other but haven't both had time for me to paw each other's mandos... perhaps tomorrow. His new one of his looks stunning!

Lastly, a piece of advice... if you want to meet pretty much everyone at a fest, show up with a bright orange Calton. It is an excellent conversation starter.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (f5journl @ Feb. 04 2006, 08:45)
    There is alot of news to report from Bakersfield. Elderly left with less luggage, Dan should have a nice new database of catalog info soon, Gibson appears that they may be adding some new models, and most trivially, Lloyds Loar did have a Virzi and it is in a mandolin run not normally equipped with one. It also has gold parts, so we know there was some special attention paid to it
    I spent the last half hour of my visit playing what Elderly went home without, and boy is it something. Talking about the Loar mandola. Won't tell who the owner is but it's certainly not me, although if I had that kind of purchasing power it'd be mine. A remarkable instrument, and the Turlough O'Carolan chord solo melodies I play sound like they were made for that instrument.

Scott brings up a good point. Curiously, Loarfest lacked mando family Loar instruments. Unless something escaped my eye, the mandola was the only H, K or L Loar that made it to the show. Hopefully the next Loarfest will include a few siblings. They too deserve their place in history and are full of similar details and nuances of their own.
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

Great job guys! We all appreciate the time taken to keep us mando-geeks informed, thanks!
    jeff
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

Thanks for all the reports. Did anyone try the '29 Fern from Elderly? I've been curious for some first hand accounts. HELOCs are a dangerous thing.
    Bob Caldwell

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (RCC546 @ Feb. 05 2006, 12:43)
    Thanks for all the reports. Did anyone try the '29 Fern from Elderly? I've been curious for some first hand accounts. HELOCs are a dangerous thing.
    I played it. It was impressive. I recall the neck being a bit chunky for my tastes but there was no denying that sound.