Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: LoarFest Reports...Please!

I got to wondering--Are there any Lefty Loars and did any show up at the fest ? I've never heard of one, just thinking that it would be a rarity but probably with less demand for one, so would the price of one be any different ? Just curious.
    Ed McG

Ahhh yes Tom,

I get confused when trying to put cafe names, actual names and faces together but I remember that black Pegasus case and the face of it's owner... it's contents weren't too shabby either. I sat over on the lobby sofas listening to y'all loar it up Thursday night. I was trying to keep my drool at a distance.

It was a Claton fest for sure and now you've got me wondering if mine is closer to Clemson or Vols orange? I liked that Gibson case but I'm more into the smallness... that's why those Pegasus cases catch my eye...

I never saw another Peg and there were lots of Caltons I never saw open up, just walking around to guess what was in them. The Vols? Could be! That lobby jam with Darryl, Brian A. and me was pushing a lot of heat. I think Brian won that jam but he sure made me and Darryl push a lot harder. Too bad it was recorded for future release because I may never hit those licks again! No lefty Loars have turned up so far. While Loar was a lefty like many he picked right handed.

Now, I like to make funny faces for the camera... but this one disturbs even me. Me and Jamie's #22.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	meand22.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	13787  

I have a green pegasus, the countoured shape is more comfy than the calton imo.. pricier with xcg rates now though. it wasnt with me though!
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

I'd certainly pay extra for a Clemson Tiger colored case...

Go Tigers...!

craig
    Director of Operations - East Coast
    D'Addario & Company Inc.
    www.daddario.com

you know, we didn't think to do a group photo. Doh!
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs

That's what I thought Dan. All those Loars there and no group photo for our baby albums. We were suppose to each get a free group photo. Unless Clemson does better this year I'm not so sure I'd pay extra for that orange!

Somewhere I read something about $5mil worth of mandos there. How do you get there with 36 Loars? I'm not doubting it - just curious what was all there!

What is Lloyd Loar's Lloyd Loar F5 worth?

How much was that F5 suit worth!
    Alan

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Ticket to Supergrass - $35.00
    Gibson Lloyd-Loar F-5 Mandolin $100,000.00
    Nudie F-5 Suit - Priceless!
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Jack posted above that there were 36 Loars. I heard one person say 22 or 24 and another say 28. IO think those numbers were counted in the ballroom. Some of the entertainers did not place theirs out for show, such as Rieschman and Tony W and M Marshall, and I believe some of the attendees did not either. So Jack's number should be very close. Our original estimate was 30-35, so this is GOOD
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

$100,000 for a good Loar? My sources are telling me more like $150,000! What are we talking these days, guys?

$130,000 or whatever they will pay above that
    www.f5journal.com

If you count the 4 performers Loars you probably can get a 36 figure in that room at one time and that would be counting the few Ferns. At average $150,000 each that would be a cool 5.4 million. Some were in the $185K range and hard to really put a price on the Lloyd's Loar even if it did have that darn Virzi still in it.
    The dealers would be lining up to stanch one of those Loars at $130K. For a starting price on the Loar suit see the www.manuelexclusive.com website. He's got the low end starting custom suit prices in there somewhere. It's the old if you have to ask you can't afford it rule. Seems I recall a 58 Loar/Fern number at the LoarFest East in 2000. Darryl you went in 2001 what was the total then?

Tommy...

I remember the total instrument number being around 65 in 2000 (including Ferns, L-5s, K-5s, H-5s, etc.). I also think you're right in that the average is around $150K with the low being around $130 and the high being around $190.

It would indeed be hard to put a price on Lloyd's personal instrument. I wouldn't know where to begin.

Charlie

I stand by my $130,000 and whatever the will pay above that.
    Agree the average would be considerably more

Again, not much if any in the H, K and L this year, and not too many ferns either
    www.f5journal.com

OK you cats... here's a scary question... what sort of value would you place on the one and only A5?

Blog Entries

Or Loyds Loar (the Siminoff one)?
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Rumor has it that it would take 2 really nice Loar F5s to take home the one and only A5.... but that's just speculated rumor when inquiring minds with lots of cash asked for a ballpark figure. I recall there was a refinished Loar at Loarfest with a $130K price so to say the average on an all original Loar is $130K as an average would be way off. While private trades of Loars have reached highs of $190K no doubt the next nice Loar for sale which be over $150K. Since Lloyd's F5 was there the $150K average to get it up to 5.4 million might be low.

I would suspect that, if the A5 were to come on the market now, the trading stock required would be closer to 3 Loar F5s. At such time when it does become available, if it is put up for auction rather than sold for a set price, I'm sure that its final price will surprise and astound everyone, unless Loars have been replaced by another "holy grail" by then.

f5loar: there have indeed been a couple of high sales, but they are akin to the $15,000 F4 (more than 1.5x the "average prices"). Prices have crept up a little, but we haven't seen enough recent traffic to stabilize a higher average price as you suggest.. the next Skinner auction may have a couple in them. Don't forget that the last couple there went *below* $100k.

You will always see the finest examples in an area go higher, but pinning the average price really just takes history. F2s & F4s with truss rods are getting pretty hot right now, so are snakeheads. Deservingly so in my opinion, they have been pretty much "CHEAP" for ages.

Yes there was one with an asking price of $130k at Loarfest that was refinished, but nobody could deny it was a cannon. The tone on that one was off the scale, right up there with the very best.

Not many have moved hands recently (last couple of months) that I'm aware of..
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs

I'm going to agree with Darryl on the pricing. For an average. A nice clean one is going to be $140 - $150 K, and an unusual one, like a sidebound, is going to be 175K or perhaps more.
    The refinned Loar.... ask me private for my spec on that one.

Hey Dan, don't forget that a very clean and beautiful 23' Loar went for $137K at the last Skinner auction. Is that true that there may be a Loar at their May auction?

We might see those twin ferns
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs

Was 2000 the first one we did in Louisville or was the first LoarFest earlier than that and then another that I miseed? I was at the first one and I only recall about 25 or so Loars being in the room, unless there were a bunch more that folks didn't bring in. I don't know, but in my old age these years seem to just run together, but I don't recall anything but F-5s and some ferns in that gathering.