Thread: Bridge Height Correct ?

I have a concern about a new Eastman 614....
    This is a picture of the bridge...does it look too high to you? #What I mean is, I didn't notice it before but look how much of the adjustment screws are showing.... There's still a little room to run them "up" but it just seems a little high as it is. #I'm still getting used to mandos and would really like an opinion.
    The action, the way it is...is pretty close. I'd actually like to raise it just a bit...but not sure if the bridge would be stable.... Anyone? Anyone??

Thanks...
    Gtrplyr335

Yeah, it does look a bit high, although it should not be a problem unless the bridge starts to lean or you run out of adjustment room. You can buy bridges of different heights. You may also be able to have your bridge base shimmed by a luthier. If done right, you wouldn't really be able to tell it wasn't that way all along. FYI, I have seen a brand new Rigel G-110, which of course costs thousands more, with the bridge that high when it was new. BTW, you might have your bridge-to-top fit checked also. It is hard to tell from the photo, but there may be a tiny gap or two there.

May be off here, but I sure seem to get the impression you have a sunken soundboard, although perhaps not enough to account for all of that.

At any rate, I believe I see evidence of some sinking there over the span...

Ron
    My wife says I don't pay enough attention to what she says....
    (Or something like that...)

It looks too high to me also. I'd make a new base and reuse the top piece and hardware if it's something you can do yourself, or buy a pre-made that's higher. You can find a lot of different hight bridges on the internet. The top looked sunken a little to me too at first, but I think it's just the refelection of the strings on the top making an optical illusion.
    Bill Pruitt

Just curious "Gtrplyr335," What's the exact height of the top of the saddle (centre) to the top of the soundboard (" or mm)? Was the bridge adjusted like this after the initial setup or have you steadily cranked it up to this point?
    Rob Grant
    FarOutNorthQueensland,Oz
    http://www.grantmandolins.com

If I measured correctly...I believe the height of the center of the bridge is 7/16". I don't think the top has a sinking problem but the reflection does make it apprear to be. I believe that just to be my photography giving the impression...

Thanks for your adivse.

The bridge height looks a little higher than on my Eastman MD 504, but my action is also pretty low.The sunken look is not an optical illusion, the same is true for mine. I was told be by the Steve Perry of Gianna Violins where I bought the mandolin that it is was normal. I have a Gibson '09 model with bridge indentions, so maybe it is normal for the bridge to sink the top a little.

I would be interested in any luthier comments that differ.

Eastman has a life time warrentee so if the top is too thin to maintain the bridge, I would like to know now.

Thanks
    Chuck

I had a Duff F5 with an even higher bridge than that. Was due to the cock of the neck angle. So, it may be because of the way your neck is set.

The Eastman oval hole mandolins often seem to like a high bridge very much. If it sounds good I wouldn't worry. Just watch for and correct any lean. That's true of any mandolin.
    Stephen Perry

Could be that the saddle is a tad bit on the small side. It looks like a lot of wood is missing from that saddle as opposed to the newer loar copy bridges. It's fine though as long as it's not leaning forward.
    Philip Halcomb

Adrian Minarovic

Was the height supposed to be 7/8"? If yes, then your top os ok, 7/8" is perfectly normal bridge height. The top will sink after first stringing about 1/32".
    The bridge looks like both parts have been lowered the saddle looks lower than standard and the feet too.
    Adrian
    Adrian

What's your current string height on the G and E strings?

Normal height at the 12th fret is about 4 or 5/64" to the bottom of the G, about 3/64" to the E. Just a little too much string height doubles at the bridge.

To me, the top looks fine. The bridge is pushing the limits, but if it were mine, I wouldn't worry about it unless the saddle started to tip or bend. If it becomes a problem, Eastman has been good about taking care of things.

Looks about the same as my 614 but only my bridge seems to be defective.
    The top part is tilted forward, it looks like the holes in the lower part
    are over sized.
    I emailed Eastman but never got a reply but the dealer is going to take care
    of it for me.

The neck angle may be set a little steep causing you to raise the bridge extra high for the desired string height.

My bridge had too much screw showing to my taste. I ordered a tall saddle and regular base from Steve Smith at Cumberland. His tall saddle is an extra 1/8" and you can get an 1/8" taller base if needed. My bridge looks normal now.

I am drawing a blank currently but isn't there a preferred bridge angle. Something like 7 degree's? Don't hold me to that # it is only wednesday and I already have 40 plus hours and things are a bit foggy. John
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Yes there is a preferred angle, I always got mine a little steep and my bridge's would be like yours is, real high. In fact my #3 F5 I had to buy a Breake Tall Boy Bridge too get it that high, my Gibson style bridge would Lean[I]
    I just finished #5 today, I got the angle less steep this time only have to raise it about 1/16. It actually will play all the way down, but feels too light handed, so I raised it a hair. JD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	122_2283_IMG.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	13554  
    Shalom,Yonkle (JD)