Thread: octave mandolin strings on bouzouki

I have a bouzouki, and have put a set of d'addario octave mandolin strings on. theses are the gauges.
    012 x 022w x 032 x #046 #What gauge strings would I need if I wanted to replace one high octave on each, the G and the D string only. and leave A and E in unison? does that make sence?

What gauge is the high octave of the G and the D?

I've never done the octave-stringing, but if I were going to, I'd start with the following (using 12-string guitar sets as a reference), and tweak as needed:

014 with 032
    027 with 046

If your zouk has an adjustable truss rod, you may have to loosen it 1/8 to 1/4 turn to compensate for the lower overall tension.

BTW, I answered your PM, but in case that didn't get through, I'm tuning my Flatiron to ADAD, and I'm believe I'm using 014, 022w, 030w, 040w. The only change I know I'll be making is increasing the lowest to 042, as the 040 is a little weak and floppy.

Chris

Default Re: octave mandolin strings on bouzouki

Hello folks, new in this question business, however I do have a one. I own a Thuringer Waldzither, check YouTube for what it is, a scale of 18" and I want to re-string it as a octave mandolin. It has 5 strings, one single on the base side and there after doubles over to the treble side. I would like to know what size strings to use for (C-gG-dD-A-E) with the G & D tuned in octave and the balance in matching pairs. It's age seems to be someplace after WW2, 1940-50? Thanks Pilgrum

Default Re: octave mandolin strings on bouzouki

Quote Originally Posted by ;235049
    I have a bouzouki, and have put a set of d'addario octave mandolin strings on. theses are the gauges.
    012 x 022w x 032 x #046 #What gauge strings would I need if I wanted to replace one high octave on each, the G and the D string only. and leave A and E in unison? does that make sence?

What gauge is the high octave of the G and the D?
    The safe thing is to replace one string in the low D and G courses with another string 1/2 the original gauge - that will keep the overall string tension the same as the unison pairs. So try a .016 plain steel on the D and a .023 wound on the G.

Also, it's always a good idea to use an online string tension calculator to figure the tension on your particular instrument. You will need to know the scale length in order to figure it.

I use this one here: http://www.bangzero.org/stringtension/

You can enter the pitches: G2 D3 A3 and D4 in the case of Irish bouzouki, and (G2 D3 A3 E4 for octave mandolin) and then the string gauge and type.

That way you can make adjustments to the gauges you are using while keeping the overall tension where you want it.

What is the scale length of your bouzouki? Those gauges in the D'Addario octave mandolin set are heavier than most bouzoukis would need so you might want to consider that.