Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The "High Lonesome" Sound Defined?

" For example what a baritone singer was to attempt this sound? #I can't think of an example off the top of my head, but I'm going to look around and see if I can find one. "

Doc Watson might fit that description on occasion, but he doesn't always do those tight harmony arrangements.

I just saw Doc Watson 2 nights ago in a small theater in Harrisburg, PA. IMO some of the best 2 hrs. of "high lonesome" I've ever heard. At 81 yrs old this man is truely awe inspiring.

Also, I think some of John Hartford's stuff fits the bill here too.
    mick meinsler

As I should hope everyone really knows, in addition to his immense personal contributions to the preservation and continuance of old-time music, John Hartford was a friend of Bill Monroe. John recorded "The Cross-eyed Child" as his tribute piece to Monroe. The song contains several monologs of Hartford giving historical insights into the young Monroe, which contributed to the later shape of Monroe's music. He talks about the young Monroe listening to the returning World War I veterans returning home and walking down the local railroad tracks and laying back & giving their backwoods hollers and how the young Monroe would do that also, pitching his hollers as high as he could, and how that formed the basis of Monroe's singing style.

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Yes, I think that combined with listening to Jimmie Rodgers probably gave Monroe quite a bit of inspiration in the area of singing (and yodeling!).

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the tune "I'm Blue, I'm Lonesome". With the line about the lonesome sound of a train going by, I would think this to be a definitive high-lonesome song.
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Monroe recorded 12 of Jimmie Rodgers' songs. At one point, Decca wanted to release an album or Rodgers' material recorded by Monroe. Unfortunately, Decca never released most of the recordings.
    Rodgers was clearly an influence on Monroe. Somewhere I have a picture of Bill (& maybe Charlie & Birch) at Jimmie's grave in Meridian.

Okay, for those who might care about this sort of thing, here's the list of tunes I decided on:

Bill Monroe & Jimmy Martin - I'm Blue, I'm Lonsome
    The Stanley Brothers - Another Night
    Tim O'Brien - Highway Of Sorrow
    Hazel Dickens & Alice Gerrard - TB Blues
    Vern Williams - Cabin On A Mountain
    Bill Monroe & Del McCoury - True Life Blues
    Bill Monroe - Lonesome Moonlight Waltz
    Open Road - Cold Wind
    Del McCoury - Bluest Man In Town
    David Davis - The Lonesome Sound Of The Wippoorwill
    Bill Monroe & Mac Wiseman - Can't You Hear Me Callin'

......and if you want to hear them you can tune in at 12:00PM (Pacific) on Sunday, April 25 via the KBCS website and check out Bluegrass Ramble

2015 Chevy Silverado

Monroe "Body and Soul" "Wayfaring Stranger"
    Shalom,Yonkle (JD)

Memories of Mother and Dad, by Monroe. Or White Dove by the Stanley Bros. Songs about your parents dying- that's pretty high and lonesome.

So, does anyone notice something unusal about my list?
    2015 Chevy Silverado

mandopete: DITTO!! - Just wonderin' how many times - on this Board - this question has been asked. Yes, it is a valid inquiry. Perhaps it's from a "nebie"...eh?? .. hee hee.. Carry on. EL MOOSO.

Quote Originally Posted by (Moose @ April 23 2004, 07:39)
    mandopete: DITTO!! - Just wonderin' how many times - on this Board - this question has been asked. Yes, it is a valid inquiry. Perhaps it's from a "nebie"...eh?? .. hee hee.. Carry on. EL MOOSO. #
    Not sure what this response means....no, the odd thing is that the tune Lonesome Moonlight Waltz is an instrumental tune. #I really think Monroe captured the notion of a high-lonesome sound in the melody on this one! #I also think that Lonesome Fiddle Blues might be appropriate for this list as well.

2015 Chevy Silverado

Well, let's start another "thread'...: "Who's the BEST mandolin player ever...!? (I ain't got much work at my desk here today..)

Me. Work on my desk, however, I'm not going to miss this segue....

Quote Originally Posted by (LeftCoastMark @ April 23 2004, 15:01)
    I'm not going to miss this segue....
    Not sure how that is gonna work........

Okay, Chris Thile ?
    2015 Chevy Silverado

Since he's my hero, it would have to be William Smith Monroe, since he developed all the mando licks that all players use today and all the cross-tunings that he came up with. He set the stage for all the mando players that have or ever will come up. All the classic Bluegrass songs that he wrote on the mando, and, had it not been for Monroe, the mandolin probably would have gone the way of the harpsicord, zither, etc. and this may have been the "ViolaCafe".[B]
    What The ....

Well, Bill described himself as a "...farmer who played mandolin & sang tenor..."; an interesting self-description. Wonder how his farming skills were; he ploughed with mules as long as he was able to farm, of course!!!

Many of the band members who became Bill's farm laborers were a little less thrilled than Bill about his farming.
    Aaron Garrett

"...we make money the old-fashioned way ; we EARN it". heee... hee.. Carry on boys.. Moose.

Default Re: The "High Lonesome" Sound Defined?

Quote Originally Posted by danmills View Post
    I heard Ricky Skaggs interviewed on NPR a while back saying that the placement of the tenor vocal harmony above the lead is what defined the "High Lonesome" sound. Or something like that. I forget the details, and I don't know enough about harmony vocals or the history of who was doing what when to make any more sense out of this.
    My ? is,: isn't the tenor harmony ALWAYS above the lead ? That means that songs like Rose Of Old Kentucky and My Little Georgia Rose are both examples of the "high lonesome sound",..however,...-they were solos for Bill because their melodies are so high in the register that no one can sing tenor to them !

bass player gone mando

Quote Originally Posted by mando-tech View Post
    My ? is,: isn't the tenor harmony ALWAYS above the lead ? That means that songs like Rose Of Old Kentucky and My Little Georgia Rose are both examples of the "high lonesome sound",..however,...-they were solos for Bill because their melodies are so high in the register that no one can sing tenor to them !
    I don't know. But you've done us a service by reviving this interesting thread after 11 years of dormancy!
    Collings MT O
    Collings MF5 0
    Weber Gallatin Mandola
    Weber Bitterroot Mandola
    Weber Sage Octave

This may be off the subject, but when I met my now wife four years ago she had no knowledge of Bluegrass, being from Brazil, although she had great appreciation for lots of different styles of music. So, after a few dates we got in the car, and a Del McCoury CD was on. I said, there, that's what bluegrass sounds like. After listening for a couple of minutes I asked her what she thought.
    Her words were " I like it, it seems really well played, but do they have to sing like that?" Of course, the answer is "Yes"!
    Riley

Kentucky KM-250

Guitars:
    RainSong SMH
    Blueridge BR-142
    The Loar LH-250
    Recording King RPS-9
    A Strat and a Tele

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mando-tech View Post
    No. Listen to the Osborne Brothers and youŽll have high lead.

Listen to the early Stanley Brothers (I think itŽs their Columbia recordings) and youŽll often have high baritone. That is the baritone harmony vocals above the tenor vocals that are above the lead vocals (Listen to "Hey, Hey, Hey" by the Stanley Brothers).

Where you put the tenor vocals does not necessarily make them lonesome. If you want "high" and lonesome, youŽll have to put the vocals in the upper registers first of all, not necessarily the tenor vocals.

Also youŽll have to make shure, that your vocals are not lush. You donŽt want to be crooning. (Tommy Duncan with Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys is a prime example of crooning, also think of Roy Rogers, Gene Autry etc):

You donŽt want to make youŽr harmony vocals sweet. Sweet harmony vocals were done by the McReynolds brothers.

Olaf

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Lonesome harmony vocals come from rubbing the harmony vocals against the lead vocals, like using flattened thirds in a major context. ItŽs like playing a 7th chord (think D7 before going back to G). That builds up tension.

This tension along with the high vocals make it "high lonesome".

Top drawer examples are Bill MonroeŽs "Letter From My Darling", "Travelling Down This Lonesome Road"

"CanŽt You Hear Me Calling"
    listen to this (Monroe and Duffey on "CanŽt You Hear Me Calling", both died in 1996)

or "Sugar Coated Love" (here in the "notorious" version):

YouŽll see that all the above mentioned principles apply.

The above mentioned "Hey, Hey, Hey" is high/lonesome with a high baritone (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BW2...aKfBA&index=15).
    Olaf

Martinsville, Indiana formerly of Brown County

Listen to Daley and Vincent singing Hills of Carolin' . The duet parts are a definition to me.

My "real" definition will always be listening to my grandmother singing hymns while she stood at the kitchen sink doing the dishes.

There was a plaintive...haunting sound to her voice....the pain of poverty...too much work and too little hope. She sounded like a female version of Bill Monroe in many ways.

It will always stick with me though she has been dead for almost 50 years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hedrick View Post
    Listen to Daley and Vincent singing Hills of Carolin' . The duet parts are a definition to me.

My "real" definition will always be listening to my grandmother singing hymns while she stood at the kitchen sink doing the dishes.

There was a plaintive...haunting sound to her voice....the pain of poverty...too much work and too little hope. She sounded like a female version of Bill Monroe in many ways.

It will always stick with me though she has been dead for almost 50 years.
    Beautifully said. Great memory.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

26. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post: