Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cherokee Shuffle--Mandolin Project Discussion

G Smolt,

i meant "relaxed" in a good way, not sloppy.

craig

Thanks craig...

I sorta like the loose, jangly (good "sloppiness") style of picking, and when you have a guitar and bass around, most of the other tones and incidental pickstrikes are pretty complimentary.

taken by itself, it sounds sorta...well...you know #

Jimbobebob,
    Brilliant! Those reaches must've been difficult ... bas is just too big for me, but the guys in Spinal Tap are surely proud of you. You've just recorded the Big Bottom of fiddle tunes. LOL!

- Benig

ML...do it again except this time stick to the melody for the first two bars, like we talked about. Establish the tune...

Cool, Cork 'n Bottle is a Madison bluegrass band! I've seen them a few times around town. Shame there's no mando break, their mando player is quite good.

How many bpm would you say that recording is at? I'm still stuck at 110 bpm If I play any faster, I always screw up some part or another. And I play much slower if I'm trying to play the song from memory.

Oh well, more and more practice...sigh...

gastineau_smolt, I really loved your take on CS, it sounded very smooth, great tone. Benigus, I really dug that "weird part", cool turn around!
    Walt Smith

G-Smolt,
    I had you all wrong. Somehow I thought you did the bass guitar version, but of course that was Jimbobebob.

I really like your version. It's got *feel* in a big way.

- Benig

Benig,
    That bass version only came out of frustration, trying to get multiple tracks of Audacity to align correctly...started doing the bass track with 1st and 5ths (boom..boom) but at 2am the mind wanders and it ended up being the melody; thought it sounded kinda cool, and since Craig said it could be ANY instrument....

-JP
    (the artist incogneto as Jimbobebob)

OK, I am still catching up here ...

Where do I load (upload, whatever) my mp3 of Cherokee to.

Thanks

fmspinc,

hey! you can upload the song at the Yahoo!Groups page: Mandolin Project. you'll have to sign-up if you haven't already done so. it's free and straight-forward. once you've done that you'll be able to put the MP3 in the relevant folder in "Files" on that page. THEN, i'll move it to the Mandolin Project Mainpage.

cheers,

craig

I was wondering if there were any words to this song "Cherokee Shuffle". Or is/was it just an instrumental.

l4n
    Alan

come y'all! #let's hear it for fmspinc's version of cshuffle! #this is some cool stuff!

fmspinc, very tasteful mix of slides, double-stops, hammer-ons and hammer-offs. #well done! #the song has a drive to it. #had to chuckle a bit at the kid talkin' in the beginning. #any chance that he/she is gonna be a mandoliner some day?

thanks for sharing!!

craig

Fantastic fspinc!!! I really like all of the little extra's you put in there, the slides, double stops, clear notes, excellent pace!!!!

Harlan

Great....I just realized that I've been practicing the WRONG VERSION of Cherokee shuffle! D'oh. There are two versions at co-mando.com, and silly me, since this is supposed to be a "beginner's project", I picked the tune that was "intermediate" rather than "advanced".

Actually, it doesn't look any more difficult than the "intermediate" version, but I've been practicing since mid-March and I still wouldn't want to put up a recording. So I'll switch over to the version everybody else is playing and get to work!

fmspinc, that's a great recording! Congrats such good work. Tasty!

Kelly_guy,

you can learn whichever version you want!! if you're happy with the one you're working on, stick with it. it's more interesting to hear the different versions, anyway . . .

craig

I finally uploaded my version of CS. We will have to wait until Craig gets it moved to the CS folder. I did this last week and hoped to have time to do a more polished recording but I decided for now to post it as it is. I put a break of "Bonapart Crossing the Rocky Mountains" in the middle because it added the demision of Am and after returning to CS dropped down to D for a slightly different version. I'd like to increase the speed by 20 or 30 bpm but haven't had time to do all the recording at that speed. Maybe I can do an update later. Be gentle...

Willard,

rockin' stuff pal! I like the wet chops, song change and key change. morphs very nicely and makes it quite interesting! you're way ahead of most of us.

cheers!

craig

I posted a copy of mine also, kinda by mistake. But thanks to the help of Craig and a few others, I think I can get through another posting with little or no effort. Right! All I need to do is figure out how to use Audacity to make better recordings. This 15 minutes a day trying to learn a new program, and then trying to record a palatable tune, has got to change. I need a few hours of time to study and play.

I still can't play guitar, Dan
    Play em like you know em!

Stayed up late and posted my updated version.

Willard, Great job! Very nice.

What I don't understand is that the last few versions I have heard all sound similar (like they are the same basic arrangement) and mine sounds different (at this point). Who is using the tef/tab posted by Craig and who isn't? (Is ANYone using the tef by Craig?)
    Alan

tef by Craig? Whazzat? I'm playing the one that's posted on the mandolinproject web page. It's called CherokeeShuffle2-A-trad.tef and I have no idea who tabbed it. It sounds vaguely like what Willard played, but a bit different in parts. The other versions sound drastically different.

Great job, willard! I like the way that sounds. It's still much faster than I can play the tune, and I won't be improvising, but hey, I'm just a beginner, too.

Quote Originally Posted by (levin4now @ April 15 2004, 09:59)
    Willard, #Great job! #Very nice.

What I don't understand is that the last few versions I have heard all sound similar (like they are the same basic arrangement) and mine sounds different (at this point). #Who is using the tef/tab posted by Craig and who isn't? #(Is ANYone using the tef by Craig?)
    I used the tabledit file Craig posted for the first AA and B. On the second B I used a different arrangement I found and then ended on A minor going into "Bonapart Crossing the Rocky Mountains." I really like that transition. Then I went back to Craig's arrangement for the B part again and then dropped down to the key of D to play the secondary arrangment A&B one time through.

It looks like "Cattle in the Cane" is winning for next month so I need to look up some different versions and start learning it.

not to be pedantic, but just wanted to clarify that the Cherokee Shuffle TEF link on the Mandolin Project page is from www.co-mando.com. I believe it was edited/scripted by Mike Stangeland who has contributed volumes of songs to the co-mando TEF archives.

just giving credit where credit is due.

carry on . . .

Willard,

Great piece, great transitions, innovative !!!!! Ahhhh so jealous, but it sure does help to hear what can be done.

Harlan

Hey, Thanks for the great feedback. I could not find a way to remove the metronome noise using Garage Band; my 6 yr. olds' voice seemed ok to leave in. There are 3 parts, mandolin lead, mandolin chords and me on guitar (real soft) in the background.

Fmsp