Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cherokee Shuffle--Mandolin Project Discussion

Hey Fmsp,

I got rid of the metronome noise by using a computer metronome and feeding it through my headphones while I played the melody and then recording the mando lead (sans the click) with a desktop mic.

Willard,
    I think your version was just awesome. Loved the minor part, and the set of different tunes, then back to Cherokee, very nice indeed!

I don't think I'll come up with a version of Cherokee shuffle, I'm too busy. Maybe if it's ok to post it in May. I have too much to do with school but it will be better after the 4th of May. I'll be back for the next tune.

Hey y'all,
    I just posted my melody-only version of CS (it's one learned from Steve Kaufman's 'Bluegrass Workout' CD). I had hoped to do a full mix, but couldn't get my other tracks to line up yet, and this take of the melody seemed to turn out pretty good. So I'm still working on the rest of the mix, will post again when complete.

Jim Prichard

Great job so far Jim!

Quote Originally Posted by (Willard @ April 15 2004, 14:32)
    It looks like "Cattle in the Cane" is winning for next month so I need to look up some different versions and start learning it.
    Ah Willard, but beware the late-April Hornpipe Rally!

Alan

well, since jimbobebob's got two recordings of cherokee shuffle up, figured i'd better get something posted. so, i put up a pretty rough version, but it captures the basic sound i was going for. not my best work, but i really like this song. i think there's lots of room for embelishment if you want to venture that way.

thanks for listening . . .

craig

Craig,
    Not only are you up early.....but it sounds great....even sustained pace with clear bright notes.....good rythmically and just a pleasure to hear. Great Job!!!!

Harlan

Great job, Craig. I really liked how you ended the tune. Thanks again for your creative ideas in setting all this up. It's been fun and challenging.

levin4now - Alan: Hey, I voted for Fisher's and I hope for the late rally... but just in case, I want to get a head start on the Cattle!

harwilli, thanks, i was concentrating on keeping the timing for once. i've completely neglected this because i mostly play alone. but, it hurts when you get together to pick with someone.

willard, yeah, the ending was because i forgot ( ) to repeat the second part so i just kinda faded off . . .

thanks for the compliments y'all and GO "Cattle in the Cane".

craig

Craig, Nice job on Cherokee Shuffle! I guess I'd better be getting on towards recording one too!

I haven't figured out how to get the major 'hiss' out of my recordings. Can Audacity 'filter' some of that out?
    What types of mics are you guys using? I haven't heard much of a hiss from anyone. (except from Craig when he hears we want to upset Cattle in the Cane )
    Alan

Alan,

Yes you can get the hiss out with Audacity. Make sure when you record, to wait approximately 5 or 6 seconds before making any sounds. Then when you are finished recording. Use the cursor to make a segment of the quiet hiss part dark, holding down the left mouse button. Then go to the EFFECTS tab at the top, click on noise removal, a box will appear, click on sample.

Then go back and start your cursor at the beginning or end, hold the mouse button down, darken the whole song, go back to EFFECTS, click on Noise Removal, and apply. This should take any hiss out of your recording.

Hope that helps.

Harlan

Very nice listening, Craig. Beautiful. Ear candy, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by (craig @ April 18 2004, 05:19)
    i was concentrating on keeping the timing for once. #i've completely neglected this because i mostly play alone. #but, it hurts when you get together to pick with someone.
    Timing is such a critical issue. I play in a local jam twice each week with some pretty good musicians. I've asked two of them to critique my playing privately and to give me any suggestions for improvement. They both said basically the same thing. I do well on rythmn playing, keeping my chop time. However, when I take a break, I tend to get nervous and rush ahead of the beat. I don't realize this because I am concentrating on getting all the notes in. This comes from playing by myself. The both urged constant practice with a metronome.

I gave this hint a little earlier but it helps me so much it may help others too so let me repeat. You can download a metronome that will play through you PC. I use it all the time. I pull up a tabledit file and just turn on the metronome and work on the tune at whatever speed it comfortable. I try to increase the speed a bit every day.

When I recorded CS, I had the metronome set at the appropriate speed and then used my headphones. I then played the tune into the microphone. The metronome established the timing but could not be heard in the microphone.

I don't know if that is cheating or not but it certainly helps, like hearing the bass while playing in a jam.

This is the metronome software I've been using.

Here's an on line metronome.

Willard,

thanks for your comments. i downloaded the metronome and well try out your little trick tomorrow.

although i haven't had the opportunity to go to jam sessions (hopefully that will change soon) i do get together with a buddy every few days to pick. and, i certainly find myself doing the same as you, speeding along when it's my turn to pick the melody. it's pretty tough not to get so excited. normally, i'd be a pretty laidback guy, but i get pretty wound-up/nervous/excited when picking. guess that's a good thing.

anyway, thanks for the metronome software and you input in general!

cheers,

craig

Nice job, Craig! (Nobody else mentioned it, but I got a loud hum along with you playing.) Don't know what that was, but the playing was nice. Nice recovery on the ending. Half the time when I record, I do great until the last measure, then fumble. You just sashayed on out!

I would post my own, but since I learned it from Benignus's version, I just can't get myself to do it. I do like his version, though. I found it easier to play than than the TefView version.

I sure wish some of you folks lived closer to Montana....

Post it Mike, maybe we will move to Montana

I've said this before, but I say it again. I can't play with metronomes. I just screw everything up. If I have a guitar, I can play along without problems. I don't learn much with a metronome, more than maybe to not speed up. But if I have chords, as on a guitar or whatever, I can learn to find my way out of mistakes without getting out of time in the tune, this is my greatest problem and what I need to practice. I know this is very controversial saying, since the metronome seems to be God for all musicians. But this is my experience. Then I also need to learn to not speed up, but that's not the big problem I have, because usually I only speed up when I play by myself.
    I'd like to be able to play with a metronome though, it would be nice for my recordings. But then I won't have any CS recording up until in August.
    How did you folks learn to play with metronomes? Someone adviced me to just keep it on and sing along before playing along. I think I'll stick with that, and then play tunes on an extremely low speed. Even if I'm not that metronome worshipper, it just annoys me that I can't do it when everybody else can do it!!!! Probably it's good practice, and as someone said, if you can play along with a metronome you can play along with anything.

harwilli,

haven't had a chance to try it yet, but thanks for the tip on hiss-removal. that should be sweet. Do you have to remove the hiss too, or do you not have any?

Also, my volume seems low, even though I seem to have my mic set on full volume in teh PC controls. I mean, I record with the mic about 8" from the strings and I have to turn it up to hear it. (and it's not a quiet mando or anything...)

Alan
    Alan

Nobody said playing with a mentronome was easy!

I don't use one all the time, especially when I am learning a tune. When I get to the point that I know the tune well enough to play it through without having to stop, I then use the metronome at a low speed, slowly increasing the speed over several days as my fingers memorize the notes and I don't have to think about them any more. That's not to say that I play the tune with the metronome all the time. However, I do try to play it through with the metronome at least once each day.

Sometimes I get lost or screw up a section and have to start all over. The point is that the metronome disciplines your playing.

Of course the most advantageous aspect of the metronome for me is recording, but I've already said that twice.

Thanks again to everyone, especially Craig for this project. It is becoming my favorite part of the cafe.

fasten your seatbelts for harrmob's latest rendition of Cherokee Shuffle. my, you are cooking kevin!! musta broke the metronome with that one.

craig

Great job harrmob! Great speed and timing (you must be using a 'nome). I especially like the double-stops you threw in at the end of the second A part.

Quote Originally Posted by
    How did you folks learn to play with metronomes? Someone adviced me to just keep it on and sing along before playing along.
    I find that if I tap my foot along with the metronome, I have an easier time "feeling" the beat....also, I count the beats out loud for the first couple of measures and that seems to help too....

Carolyn

Thanks y'all. I was playing along with the backup on the midi with the Cherokee Shuffle TEF that Mike Stangeland put together, but he plays it at 245 BPM. That was too fast for me, 225 BPM was slower, but not much. I rarely hear that one, that was a fun one to learn.

harrmob,

Man, you can blaze! Great quality playing too, great tone, speed, drive, punch. All the things I would like to have. Thanks for that fine recording.

Harlan

kkallaur,

nice job with this one. good timing. clear tone. you're right on the money.