Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Arches OM in process

So-- I'm pleased to say I had a chance to meet and play this lovely instrument tonight. #It is very handsome, as you can see in the photos, although we all know that photos don't always do justice to the 3-D experience. #Some visual features (hard to make out in the photos) that I think are particularly nice -- the white binding inside the soundhole, and a very sharp razor-thin pinstripe that runs along the inside of the binding all along the fretboard and headstock. #As others have said, the workmanship is top notch, the finish is flawless... and it has a nice Price tailpiece which I hadn't had a chance to see "in person" before, and which is a terrific piece of work. #It has a very nice, slender neck profile (much like the Trillium and Dean) so is easy on smaller hands... has a sleek feel to match the sleek look.

Sound-wise... it is hard for me to figure out how to talk about it (or even hear it) without comparing it to my OM (the Dean)... and we both played both OM's, and pretty much agreed that they are different but equally great instruments. #In guitaristic terms, the Dean is more like a dreadnaught-- with more body (actually physically bigger and deeper) and a deeper, boomier overall tone. #The Arches is more like an auditorium style guitar... with a somewhat stringier, more sparkly tone with more articulated trebles than the Dean. #We also both noticed that the differences sound more exaggerated to the player's ear than when listening from out in front of the instruments. #The Dean is a bit louder but the Arches does not lack for volume or power by any stretch.

Anyway... Judith is happy, and well she should be. #This is a noble instrument (as Stv would say), and suits her playing style well. #A good match.

Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Whoa, nice looking instrument. This one is the only one whose looks I could envy over my Darnton OM (also Cocobolo with amazingly fine looks!)

Otterly's comparison brings something up that is interesting to me. Maybe its the law of conservation of full tonality :-) I got the Darnton OM and it is full, has a big, round low end with volume and sustain. Since then, I found myself wishing for something sweeter than my tubby A4, so I got the Weber Aspen. It is not boomy at all, but sweet, light, and it just sings with harmonics. I like having these two instruments to play, one holds up the bottom, the other is on the top. They record very well together.

Sure wish I lived near all you guys out there - sampling each others' OM's. Not many of us here near San Luis Obispo, CA.
    Clark Savage Turner
    Los Osos, CA.

There's still time to book your trip to Philly for our CBOM-o-Rama on 6/10!

ok,ok, I know... it's a lot of expense for such a trip, but just so you know you'd be welcome!

It's true, Jude and I are lucky to have eachother...we live in the same neighborhood and are afflicted similarly with MAS and OMAS... and it spares our partners considerable annoyance that we are able to discuss and obsess with one another and don't make them listen to endless mando-minutiae::

Interesting theory about tone-seeking...As I was playing both instruments last night, I kept going back and forth between which one I liked better... and reality is that they just have different voices. Each is better suited to some pieces and not others, to some playing style and not others. Different shades of color for different purposes.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Clark, did you see the 'Bay Area Get Together' thread Ed Sherry and a few of the others have been working on? I know SLO's a bit down the road, but you could make a Day Trip of it? I wish I were a bit closer. I'd enjoy getting together.
    Alas, Phoenix is a bit too far to make the trip...

Karen, I think you really hit the nail on the head: To me, when we get our custom instruments into our hands, they are one of a kind and really shouldn't be looked at as if they are 'Better' than the other. Each being it's own, they are unique and will bring good music in their own way.

I think this diversity is just cool as beans!

I hope some of you Arches and Dean owners make it to IBMA this fall. I would love to see and hear some of these instruments in person. They look absolutely great in the photos, and the clips I've heard have sounded great, too.

I'm glad I'm travelling by car. I'll be staying at the Ren this time, so maybe I'll just bring all of my toys.

Paula

ooops-- my bad...I think the tailpiece is James, not Price. #

And sorry, Paula... IBMA is not in the cards this year, but if you're ever in Philly, look us up!

Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've been playing as much as I can - the instrument is changing day to day, partly because of the newness of the strings, partly because I suspect she's waking up. Otterly is right - its a good instrument for me...it can be loud when necessary and still has personality when played more quietly. I think this makes it very conducive to melody-playing as well as rhythm, or adding bass lines. While the treble is sweet, the bass is definitely there and can readily be made to resound. My feeling about it is that she and I have a lot of growing to do together. There will always be instruments "out there" that emphasize a different aspect of sound (tone, bass, treble, boominess, sustain, percussive string sound, etc) and no one instrument posesses EVERY quality. That would be impossible. I always hope to have minimal compromises to make - i.e. liking an instrument's sound but hating its playability, or liking the way 3 courses sound but finding the the 4th course to be too metallic sounding, or too muddy. I do not feel I have to make any compromises with this Arches, and that is a delight as well as a relief. Kudos to Chris. J
    Judith

Congrats, Judith. Your OM is gorgeous. Chris rocks, doesn't he?

Hey - maybe I shouldn't be saying this because Chris doesn't have anything listed on his website as "available now," but I know there is, or was, an unclaimed OM in the batch he just made... I believe the scale length is 22". Don't know any other details re: what it looks like or even if it is for sale, but perhaps those who are waiting in line might want to check it out with Chris. Let us all know what happens. J
    Judith

I knew you'd love it, Judith. It really is a terrific instrument. Chris mentioned the third OM he made, but he said he'd probably keep it for himself as he was enjoying playing the OM more. I didn't get to see it, but no doubt it's every bit as fantastic as yours. His work is beautiful lately. Chris will be in SLC again this week, hopefully with more of his treasures to play.

Congrats,
    Ken
    Less talk, more pick.

Yup, you were right. Its perfect for me. J
    Judith

I plan on giving Chris a down payment on something similar to yours. My wife stopped in for awhile at Ken's house when Chris had your OM here in SLC and she really liked the scale length and neck size given that her hands are smaller than mine. She wanted me to put down a deposit that night but I didn't feel we had the $$$, but hopefully we can hook up this week and I can get on the waiting list.

pd
    "... beauty is not found in the excessive but what is lean and spare and subtle" - Terry Tempest Williams

yeah, the scale is really great for us small-handeds...There are those who think that shorter than 22" is too short to sound good, but I can say that Jude and I each have an instrument that begs to differ.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm in the queue; I talked to Chris last night at the Compton/Long concert and wrote him a check. He says that Judith's is as short as you can go and that the neck is as thin as he thinks would be stable. We didn't try to finalize any details... he's estimating a 2 year wait... but I'm glad to be in line. Each of the handful of instruments I've played of Chris' have been outstanding in both sound and craftsmanship.

Paul Doubek
    "... beauty is not found in the excessive but what is lean and spare and subtle" - Terry Tempest Williams

Welcome to the queue! I have my deposit down on an OM that will be of walnut, etc. I have been in waiting for a few months and Chris has told me that he expects that it will be sometime early next year.
    Will Hardy

Ithaca Strings Instruments
    Mowry Custom Four String Electric OM (2 years or so)

Welcome to the club, Paul!

I'm a few months behind Will, waiting for an F4. I'm hoping it will be sometime in the Summer of '07.

Actually, I'm finding I am enjoying having the time to really think out what I'd like the instrument to be.

Best of all, Chris is super patient with letting me ramble on in emails. He hasn't told me I'm a whacko yet, anyway!

Gerry:

Don't worry, though I haven't rambled on in a month or so, there was a time that I was shooting him several e-mails a week and he would tell me that it will, put them in the file for when he begins the work (sounds like something I tell my client ...
    Will Hardy

Ithaca Strings Instruments
    Mowry Custom Four String Electric OM (2 years or so)

Interestingly, the weather differences between Philadelphia and Utah are such that the instrument needs a bit of tweaking re: the set up. I have sent the bridge back to Chris for a little shaving so I can lower it a bit more. Chris was his usual responsive self and said he could do it in a half hour and likely mail it back the next day. If Chris had lowered the bridge to this extent in Utah, he'd be getting a buzz, but Phila. is so humid, the set-up has changed. I'll also be experimenting with slightly lighter strings - having nothing to do with sound, which continues to be VERY pleasing to my ear. Lighter strings will make it slightly easier to play. Right now, the action is a bit high and the strings a little fat. Mind you, I am happy as-is, but Otterly may be even more exacting than I am and so tempts me to tweak. J
    Judith

Hey Judith, I had similar issues with my Arches A last year. I live in far southern Illinois, where the humidty in my house can be 60 percent to 70 percent. My Arches went into shock, I think! Chris was willing to tweak it for me, but I wasn't about to let it out of my hands.

Hi Eric...I was willing to send chris the BRIDGE, but not the whole thing...that would just take too long. I'm hoping the bridge is back this week!! J
    Judith

Sorry to hear about the issues in dealing with the environment. Sounds like Chris is doing a great job in his oath to customer service. Pretty impressive for a one-man-operation.

I am in Az and Chris is in Utah, so I am hoping there won't be any issues for my F4 when it arrives.

I won't go into the horror story I'm having with my Crump. It spent it's first year of life in Thailand and didn't like coming to Az!

Ex-CUSE-me, Jude, but I don't think you can put this one on ME!!!
    When it comes to mandos, I learned "exacting" from YOU!
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~