Thread: Dave Harvey Set up pricey

I am not a professional musician, I play in a family band and we do get paid to play but we all have day jobs and all started relatively late (adults ten years ago) learning to pick. So you know who's giving their opinion.
    I had a friend drop off the Howard Morris A model mandolin at the Gibson Shop at Opry mills on December 12th, I got my mandolin back shipped on February 14th. When I called to see about the progress after it had been there a month, he said he (dave harvey) said it would be about 6-8 weeks out. Before any of this I asked Big Joe the price for a set up and he said about $175.00 depending on what it needed. When I called in January Dave Harvey told me it needed a new bridge, fret dressing, and the new bridge would need fitted to the top and that it would cost $425.00. I told him I could not afford that, that I was expecting to pay $200.00 or less. He seemed adament about it needing a new bridge, I told him to do the best he could with what he had. He shaped my old bridge to the top, had to file down the nut and the first position frets(no truss rod to adjust), and he corked the tailpiece and cover. It plays better and sounds better, he told me it was $300.00 dollars worth of work but he only charged me $200.00. I think that fitting the bridge to the top may have been more challenging due to the contours of the hand made Morris A model. So it seems they were relatively good to me. Just wanting to inform people of the possible expense of the magical Dave Harvey set up. For my budget it and a $650.00 dollar mandolin I probably would not do it again. Dave Harvey was more friendly in our last conversations than he was in the first when it seemed he was trying to convince me to purchase the new bridge. Glenn Hurley www.hurleyridge.com
    I really shoud be practicing instead of on this computer.

Sounds like they were very reasonable and worked with on the price. I don't see how you could beat that.

I got a Dave Harvey set up on my F9 and its like he worked magic on my mandolin. I can't remember what I paid but it seemed reasonable with shipping.

I have never had such a nice set up on mandolin or guitar.

I can't find anyone in this area that can do good set up or repair work.

I've started tooling up at the house to be able to do set up work. ie fit a nut, and saddle. I'm just going to start doin gmy own.

This is only because its inconvenient to get to Nashville. If Dave was local to me I'd use him exclusively.
    2003 Gibson A5L

2012 Gibson Custom Advanced Jumbo
    2005 Gibson 'True Vintage' Original Jumbo

1920 Bacon Open Back

Interesting. I had a recent experience with the Opry Mills repair crew, and it was nothing but positive. I got email estimates on the possible costs from Big Joe, calls from repair techs to ask me for my preferences on setup, frets, etc... It took a few months, but the improvement in my instrument was well worth it. I paid exactly what Big Joe told me I would, no more, no less. Granted, my mandolin was a Gibson, but I am not the original owner, and I've never bought anything from OAI new. I was already a Gibson mandolin fan, now I'm also a fan of the crew at OAI. They do excellent work. Frank
    FJ Russell

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas. E. Zapata

I also have nothing but praise for the work Dave Harvey did on my Fern. He is a great guy to work with, and performed magic on my mandolin.

Sounds like some of you got better service, he had already begun working on it before he talked to me about it. Maybe if you have a Gibson it is a better service because they are more consistent. I was trying to give my view, for the ones who might me in my shoes budget wise, so they could make an informed decision. Maybe one should leave a not that says must call owner before working on it. I agree that its the best set up that I've ever gotten but unless my money situation changes I probably won't afford it in the future.
    Glenn Hurley

Yes to repairman Harvey.

Also yes to musician Harvey. He can flat out burn it. Check his intro and outro to the tune he wrote with his Dad Dorsey, called Cruisin' Timber, off the 1st Wild & Blue record (Too Blue To Cry). Staggering.

Don't mean to hijack but in case someone is looking to have an instrument set up and wants to comparison shop, here's my recomendation for a set-up man, prices are cheaper and the quality of work is top notch: Bryan Kimsey.

Glenn,

As in any service business, our estimates are rough guesses (at the start of the repair process), and once a job gets going, we often find other things that may alter the final cost of the repair. That's why we always call and talk with the customer before we do the added work. We're also not the cheapest, but feel we are worth it.

However, if you are not happy (in any way), PM me and I'll see what I can do. I am the head of Joe's and Dave's department and want to make sure every customer is happy.

Charlie

I'm happy with the finished product and the final result, just giving a heads up to people to be clear with instructions and to know that it may cost more. I wanted to find out what the magic was and it was a clear difference but not enough for me to do it again mainley because of my budget and the price of my mandolin. If I had nicer mandolin it would be easier to justify it. The magic wasn't magical enough for me, though it was a definate improvement, I would settle for one half as good for half the price due to my limeted budget. Just want the poor man to know that it want make a $600 mando sound like a $6000 dollar mandolin. Glenn

In Glenn's defense, I've heard others say they weren't happy with Dave's customer service (not his work) and that they were quoted a price that he later tried to change. When it's important to you, make sure you both have an understanding of the work you expect and the price, and ask to be called if more work is needed so you have a chance to back out. I have no personal experience with Dave, ymmv. I don't think Glenn was trying to bad mouth Dave or Gibson, just to make a point that expectations need to be made clear in advance.

Glenn, Will Kimble is only 2 hours away in Cinci and I can personally vouch for his work and customer service skills. Also, John Hamlett (sunburst) visits Richmond now and then and can/will do some things there. You'd be in good hands with either.

Paula

I'm on a limited budget myself. But I have to chime in here. You got a bargain! You originally agreed to get it done when Big Joe told you $175. For what you had done, and yes it needed it, $200 for a $300 job is a bargain! If you found someone to agree to do it for $100, I guarantee you would have to pay $200 additional to have it redone. I feel safe saying you could not find a mandolin as good as yours is now for less than $1,000. Not with a set up by Dave Harvey. I don't even know him. But i know his work.

Glenn,

It still sounds to me like you were left with a bad taste in your mouth and I don't want that. Go ahead and PM me and we'll see what I can do to make you happier.

Charlie

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Charlie, I think that's the best and most productive suggestion I've heard since this thread was started...
    I don't think it was intended to be an "air my personal grievence" topic, but it has the potential of turning out that way, with more "pile on" commentary.
    Rather than fuel the fire, I'll trust both parties to work this out privately on their own, and close down the thread.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin