Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hamilton de Holanda...

OK....

Considering all the understandable mando-hero worship that gushes on these pages from time-to-time, I'm a bit surprised these pages aren't awash with Hamilton-mania after the shows that he and Mike Marshall have been doing around the country recently...

The two shows at Wintergrass were both just jaw-droppers.

I'm very familiar with what Mike can do to a mandolin, but Hamilton just completely knocked my socks off.

Yeah, there's that technique that one could argue is unmatched...
    (Speed and notes alone just don't do it for me, and never really has....)

But this guy plays with incredible soul and finesse, and such joy.

And they both know how to listen...

Both sets were similar in tune selection, but were completely different in terms of how the tunes were approached, and how they related to one another. #Very cool to watch...

Anyway, I just thought I'd gush a bit here...

Can't wait to listen to his other recordings....

Pretty cool indeed. Thanks for posting that, Bruce.

That got my attention!
    Wow - Thanks!!
    Milan

Blog Entries

Sorry folks. I have WinterGrass and Marshall's representatives upset and after me for the post of one of the tunes of the show and have edited Bruce's post so the link no longer exists. Sorry, Bruce, and I'll chat with you later about this. I know you well enough personally to know you've meant no harm in doing so.

However, I think it's in an artist's interest to support their wish that a live recording not be displayed for the public. Yes, I know there are entire sites that exist for this purpose, but this isn't one of them. Either way, one thing is for sure in that I'll be the bad guy on this one in someone's eyes at the end of the day. Part of the fun of running this joint.

Scott

Sorry about...

I complely understand and am a bit embarrased...

Buy the record!

Why no gushing over Hamilton de #######' Holanda on the Cafe?
    It ain't de #######' BG...and he doesn't play an F5......or there would probably be more gushing.
    I suspect his fan base will grow after these US appearances. Backstage at The Freight & Salvage
    in Berkeley, I handed my....at the time.... new Heiden to Mike for his blessing...he handed it to Hamilton,
    who to my surprise started playing a Swing tune.....he can play more than Choro, BIG ears on that cat!
    But aside from a few Choro afficianados, how many of us know diddly about Brazilian music, maybe we have
    Jacob de Bandolim from Grisman's Acoustic Disc..or maybe have Mike's Choro Famos. There was a Choro music
    camp last summer in N. Calif. and definitely a Choro presence at The Mandolin Symposium the second year,
    that grew from the first year...and this year Hamilton will be a guest instructor for a day. So it appears
    Choro is gaining a foothold......That is the focus of Mike's new label, Adventure Music....to introduce this
    stuff to folks here in the US. http://www.adventure-music.com/
    They are going to re-release existing music here, as well as record new music, some with Mike playing with Brazilian musicians.
    Just like our other mando heros might introduce us to Django, or Swing, or Jazz etc.....we can thank Mike's passion for Choro to help spread the word.
    And like Bruce says Buy the CD!!

just doing your job, Scott...
    if anyone's mad at you, I I hope it won't be any of us cafe-ers. We owe you respect and cooperation for doing all you do to create this forum. I'd hope that all here would support you in doing what you need to do to maintain good relationships with the artist and festivals that we admire.
    KE
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (Spruce @ Mar. 01 2006, 15:20)
    Sorry about...

I complely understand and am a bit embarrased...

Buy the record!
    Shouldn't be. Quite frankly I think the knees jerked a bit too hard and too fast for my taste. There's discretion in everything. Just trying to keep the peace. <sigh>

Quote Originally Posted by (Scott Tichenor @ Mar. 01 2006, 16:31)
    Shouldn't be. Quite frankly I think the knees jerked a bit too hard and too fast for my taste. There's discretion in everything. Just trying to keep the peace. <sigh>
    I agree. If the track was that good, i'm sure someone would have listened to it and felt good enough to buy my fellow Brazilian's album; now instead we have a sour taste in our mouth (and it's probably not even the guy's fault). Too bad.

Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:
    Wellsprings 2: Joyful!

Brazilian mandolin: be sure to check out Deo Ryan, the group No' em Pinguo D'agua, Armandinho and Marco de Pinna, for starters.

Check out the guitar player named Yamandu (not sure if it's his real or artistic name). He has broken through what's always a crowded field of world-class Brazilian guitarists. Incredible playing.

Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:

All right... how about a link to where we can buy his record(s)...

Thanks
    Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

This might be a start to purchase some of his music. #There is an announcement that a CD has been recorded for release on Adventure Music (Mike's Label- see Arthurs post above) in 2006 but I didn't see it on the site. Only a matter of time...

Jamie

There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I have always wanted to pick up a de Holanda CD -- can any of his fans out there recommend your favorites to start with?

It's a slippery slope. The whole Napster, artist royalty thing, who gets to listen/when, for free or pay?

A musician's product is his music. A software guy's/gal's product is code. If a link were put up with a program he/she wrote for all to 'enjoy', rightfully it should be taken down and be paid for if you want to 'use' it.

There are those (most on this forum, I would bet) that play music as a hobby/side bar and will never make a dime playing the mandolin. And then there's Tony Rice...."This ain't no effin hobby!"

my too sense...

Guess I'll go ahead and chime in here now that the shock has worn off (a little). I just came back from Suwannee Springfest where they played three gigs and a mandolin workshop. A couple of the shows were with Josh and Jeff Pinkham. Hamilton is hard to describe as I'm not sure the superlatives exist. Musical and jawdropping technique come to mind but that really dosesn't do him justice. I picked up his "01 Byte/10 Cordas" which is a live recording. It's a good representation. I think I heard Mike say they were in the middle of recording a project together. And believe me, Mike can hang with this guy. I spoke with Josh later and he's really excited about Hamilton as well. Anyone who appreciates good music without the "it's got to be (type of music)" mentality will be blown away.
    mikeguy

I Too witnessed the three sets at springfest last weekend in FL. I too was effectively blown away. #I made a few observations there. There were several musicians that started off watching the last set on the main stage from the VIP seats and all of them moved out to the crowd to get a better view. Never saw Bela clap before and Jeff Coffin shot a roll of film. There were several staunch blugrassers in the crowd that were not sure what to make of it.I overheard a r-neck say that sumb*%ch is good!
    I almost did'nt go to fl. this year (been to that fest. for 8 years now) but those three sets made the 24 hour round trip from VA well worth it.I won't miss another performance within a 100 mile radius.

o2b.pickin

Here's an online treat for those who want to hear more of Hamilton de Holanda playing the Bandolim ...

Brazilian (Portuguese language) website Music Express has 6 downloadable mp3s from 2 CDs of choro music by Dois de Ouro - a duo consisting of Hamilton de Holanda & his brother Fernando Cesar

Keepin' tuned ...
    Wendy Anthony
    A Few of My Favourite Mandolin Links

MelBay MandolinSessions: Cindy

Wendy -- thank you for the link.

BTW, that a great list of resources you have linked at you web site -- thanks!

"Luz Das Cordas" is outstanding--its a duet with
    guitarist Marco Pereira.

Here's a video of Hamilton playing some Brazilian jazz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM46B...search=holanda
    Mark Levesque and Judy Handler
    International and Classical Music
    http://www.judyandmark.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/acousticblend
    The New American Mandolin Ensemble on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4L...uROoOXFj6GVSg/

These messages are a bit old, being it the end of June now, and I am sure we will be seeing new postings about the Santa Cruz Symposium shortly. I had come in to town in time to come to the performance of Hamilton at the 8:00 performance showing and walked away feeling like we had all witnessed one of the best, if not a new best. Yes, he was awesomely fast! however, it was also infused with such a great control to stop and end a line with a beautiful vibrato. He is such an "organic" player from the heart. His dual line tremelos were killer. I was totally blown away! and along with the cameradrie of the room, Hamilton was so well received. The bar has been raised by this fellow, and the timing of having a symposium like this to present him to all the mandoliners present is a great sign of the times for all of us afficionados. The future of the mandolin seems to be in good hands.
    Although I am writing about Hamilton, it was also great to visit with some of y'all in person and visiting with all the people, and some old aquaintances, while experiencing this incrediable performance. What a great moment the creators of this Symposium have created, and I think Mike Marshall needs some real kudos, along with his "team", to bring this person into our lives.
    RT

Quote Originally Posted by (Monte37 @ July 01 2006, 13:41)
    The bar has been raised by this fellow
    And this fellow has been raised by the bar!
    Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:

I'll second Joel Glassman's suggestion about "Luz Das Cordas," the duet recording with Marco Pereira. At the Mandolin Symposium this summer, David Grisman asked Hamilton onstage during his evening set if he preferred playing solo and he hastily said NO! and then told how and why he was forced by circumstances to become adept at solo playing (such as we heard that night and is powerfully evident on "01 Byte/10 Cordas"). He's great any way you can get him, but the combination of mandolin and guitar is hard to beat, especially when the guitarist is as good as Periera, who I think is right up with the much-missed Raphael Rabello.
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

videos from hamilton

http://www.youtube.com/results....=Search

first of all i want to thank`s in the name of HAMILTON and all Brazilians for all MIKE MARSHALL is doing to make things available for the american audience he is a supperb humam being and musician

With all the hype put on Chris Thile, its a shame that a guy like Hamilton de Holanda is almost unnoticed. That's the difference between pop and real music in my opinion.
    T