Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transcribe or Amazing Slowdowner?

Default Re: Transcribe or Amazing Slowdowner?

Amazing Slower Downer is amazing. One of the best programs for music
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

2. The following members say thank you to mbruno for this post:

On my android phone, which is my preferred tool for the job, I use ASD and Spotify. In Spotify, create a playlist named something like "Songs to Transcribe" and add any songs or albums I want to work on. Note, you must download the music, so Spotify Premium is required. In ASD app, open "Lists" > "My Spotify Playlists" > find the appropriate playlist > choose the tune > et voilà!

On my macbook/laptop, I like to use YouTube with the following features. Download a Chrome app called Looper, it let's you loop any section of a YT video right on the page. Then use the regular YT speed setting but select "Custom" which let's you adjust incrementally by .05%. And there you go, its just like ASD for free on your computer with any YT video, which is basically the entire catalog of all recorded music.

I also use keyboard shortcuts to control the video while doing the above:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20201111-070142_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	319.5 KB 
ID:	189763

4. The following members say thank you to bradeasley for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    No, No. I think you may have misunderstood much of what has been written in this thread. You indicated that you revived it because you wanted not just to slow down the music, but also to change the key (pitch) of a YouTube video. A browser alone won't do that, Sherry! The YouTube site itself will play back videos at slower, but fixed, speed in your browser -- any browser -- at 0.25, 0.5, 0.75 times full speed, but this feature is not especially useful.

You'll first need to DOWNLOAD the YouTube video to your computer as an MP3 (audio) or MP4 (video and audio) file so you can work with it. You wrote that you use a PC. If so, then get a YouTube video downloader extension for your browser and install it. There are several of these to choose from. For a browser, you also have several choices, including Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, or Firefox. Just don't use Chrome, since they won't support a YouTube download.

Once downloaded, you can play an entire MP3 file back at any speed that you like using the free Windows Media Player, which comes with Windows 10 (as Mandocrucian said). But this feature is not as helpful, IMO, as being able to slow down and repeat a selected section of the work, with various tuning adjustments to match your mandolin, adjustments to the tone, and so on. These are among the many features offered by the programs Amazing Slow Downer and Transcribe!

Also, you said that want to change the pitch. So again, you're asking for features offered by the Amazing Slow Downer and Transcribe! A browser won't do that, Sherry, and neither will Windows Media Player. You should look into buying and installing the Amazing Slow Downer or Transcribe! I happen to like Amazing Slow Downer, myself, but either one should work for your purpose.
    I would only add that for the pitch change part of the procedure, one can use Audacity instead of Amazing Slow Downer or Transcribe.

I've used Audacity a few times on old field recordings and festival jam session recordings etc, where often no one was tuned to standard A440 (common situation before digital tuners). Audacity's "Change pitch without changing tempo" (one of several speed/tempo/pitch variants it offers) lets me bring the recording up to standard A440 so I can more easily play along with the recording (if I'm trying to learn or re-learn the tune), without having to bother retuning all my instruments. This is handy if you've got a whole playlist of previously-non-A440 tunes (some high, some low) that you want to practice along with, so you don't have to retune your instrument between each and every song/tune.

I'm using a slightly older version of Audacity, but presumably recent versions have similar functionality.

Audacity does take some trial-and-error to achieve the exact perfectly-in-tune-with-whatever-you're-trying-to-match pitch/key you want, but it's doable if you have the patience. IMO the trick to getting a good match, is to first "preview" the desired effect on only a small portion (several seconds) of the tune, make adjustments as needed, keep previewing it until you're satisfied with it, then make a note of the settings, hit cancel, select the entire tune, and reopen the dialog box and use those same settings to apply to the entire tune.

Audacity has one advantage in that it's free open-source software (or at least it was last time I checked), so there's that. I was thinking there are versions for Windows, Mac, and Linux, although I'm too lazy to look it up right now to verify.

6. The following members say thank you to Jess L. for this post:

Anybody try Song Surgeon?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    For downloading all sorts of video files (or converting them to audio mp3), I use the "Video Downloader" extension for FireFox.
    I'm in the process of setting up a new windows 10 laptop (dragged kicking and screaming from win7), and have used FireFox for years. Mark, there are about a zillion extensions called "Video Downloader" for Firefox . Do you know who makes the one you use? Are you on Windows 10? Scratching my head trying to decide how to choose.

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    I'm in the process of setting up a new windows 10 laptop (dragged kicking and screaming from win7), and have used FireFox for years. Mark, there are about a zillion extensions called "Video Downloader" for Firefox . Do you know who makes the one you use? Are you on Windows 10? Scratching my head trying to decide how to choose.
    Sue, my IT guy downloaded Ontiva's for me.

BTW, I moved to Windows 10 kicking and screaming. Now I wonder what reason I had to wait so long.

10. The following members say thank you to Sherry Cadenhead for this post:

Big Slowdowner fan here, for many years!
    Too many instruments...too little time

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    “Kicking and screaming”, I hear you; my last laptop purchase I search “new old stock” until I could find a suitable new one that shipped with win7, so no I’m not on Windows 10. I’d imagine that video download programs have multiplied over the years. I’ve been a long time user of the one named simply “video DownloadHelper” - they’ve been around a long time, and are always quick to keep their extension compatible with latest FireFox updates.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

13. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post: