Thread: David Grisman teaches Dawg Mandolin

Anyone have a review of this material they would like to offer. I realize it is on CD and not video.

I am an intermediate guitar and mandolin player, I have purchased a number of instructional videos from Homespun and in general, have been disappointed. If it weren't for the little tab booklets that come with them I wouldn't have learned much of nothing.

Funny, I don't use the video/audio much on these things. I expressly go for the printed materials. In the case of Grisman, I know in my head how the tunes should sound, I just need the notes on paper to validate the "voices in my head"

So, I'm not a good reviewer of the visual things here. (so, why did I even respond?) But, as a manifesto of what he does on Dawg's Rag, 16-16, Janice, Dawgma, etc., I find the Homespun book to be dead-on accurate.

You can take a peek in here for some Grisman tabs.

I am a little weak in the theory and I am hoping for a little help in that area.

4. The following members say thank you to wsm for this post:

I had the the Grisman set a while ago and at the time I don't think I was mature enough (anyway you look at it) to really understand and use the lessons he taught. But now I wish I had them back, not that i'm anymore mature mind you!

I do agree with AlenN, (who's a MONSTER player in his own right) the Grisman stuff is well worth your time and energy.

I however am in the same situation the Alen, I hear the tunes in my head and validate the tab later, on that same note you should check out the co-mando page and download the table edit files. It the sound of midimandolin doesnt drive you nuts there is an awful lot of info there and you can save yourself $50>>>>>>>>

jm

I find DG does a great job. On something this good video is not needed. He talks slowly and explains details nicely. The stuff mainly teaches how the play the header for the tunes. But as we all know there's lots of improvising. Some tunes allow for it such as 16/16 and DG explains nicely what notes fit over the chords.
    Tunes like Cedar Hill, Dawg's Bull, you also learn the harmony parts.

I have it and I rather enjoy it. I can read tab and standard notation, but I also like to be able to hear what I am trying to play so it is very helpful. And I also think everyone should learn some Grisman tunes. You learn different rhythmic patterns, lots of chords, various styles(genres) of music. Plus you get to hear a couple different mandolins he owns.

I've been going back to it for years......always more to learn, as my ability to understand it increases, I get more each trip to review.
    And I can actually play a lot of this stuff now. So that says something. Many of the Dawg anthems are in there........go for it!

Homespun's printed material has definitely been spotty at times, sometimes almost a joke (Andy Statman's Jazz series volume 1 with a single page of tab with mostly "corrected" mistakes) but Grisman's series supplies two booklets of very beautiful notation and tab done in a bold hand, by Grisman himself for all I know. If you want to learn to play Dawg's tunes, the way they were written, this is good..if you want to learn much else (except what his mandolin collection (at that time) sounded like) then you won't find it here. As the title is "Dawg Mandolin", this is as it should be.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

I fell in love with the "Dawg Mandolin" series and will probably use it for years, Blue Midnight, Dawg Funk, Happy Birthdat Bill Monroe, 16-16 all the stuff I've litened to , I finally got to learn how to play it! If you're a Dawg freak like me , you'll love it too.
    Life is short,Art is long.

I've been working with this book and CD set off and on for a couple of years and I think it's great. My copy os about 3 years old and does not have any cord forms or charts. I think this omission has been fixed in later printings. Also I'm working with a teacher. It would be more of a challange working on my own.

It is a great book. I wish it had his solos noted out, not just the heads. Like on Opus 57, his hot solo before the guitar break.

Just a pet (ha,ha - Dawg = pet, get it?) peeve on an otherwise invaluable tome of Dawginess

Alan......the part I find even more unusual is on Dawg's web site, where I believe John McGann does the transcriptions, they focus on the solos and don't give you the heads. I've found some of the solos from the first DGQ record are in Tabledit. Mike Stangland did a darn good job on several
    transcriptions...EMD.....Janice.....a few others, but alas no Opus 57.

Yes, Arthur, that Janice in there nailed it. I always loved David's solo on the record, that high tremolo - perfect. I even think Darol's violin solo is done in the TablEdit.

Also, Pneumonia, the HS book has it, with the 3 head parts, but no solo. I pretty much have it figured out (heck, it's only been dern near 30 years!), but still, it would be nice to see the Dawg nuances in there.

Thanks so much for posting that link to the Dawg tab. I really needed that.
    myspace.com/jeremyain