Thread: OM-MAS strikes!

i finally broke down and called Gryphon yesterday afternoon and ordered the level 4 petersen octave mandolin they had there. it is on it's way to me. should be here tomorrow. i'm getting kind of excited now. i am no longer taking my sobell out of the house as the case is shot and i am having a calton made for it but that is going to take a while. i had a weber sage, but the scale length was a bit too much for me.

i have terrible OM-MAS as i have also ordered a cittern from bob abrams at Trillium.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Congratulations! That's a really sweet one. I played it a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed. But wait, isn't Hans making you the first Brentrup OM too.
    Fiddles
    Arches F4 / Newson F5
    Crump B1 / Old Wave GOM

Check out Pegasus - last week their page said they had Zouk/OM cases in stock - designed round large bodied Sobell

thanks, but not all the sobells are the same specs. and by time i get it here to the states, it will be over twice the cost of the calton.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Mandobar- I feel your pain!
    Please be sure to give us some comparative reviews once all these wonderful instruments are in the same place and you can A/B (/c/d/e/f/...) them.

And good call on the Trillium. I was very loathe to part with my Trillium. He does really great work. Maybe someday I'll get another...
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

i actually met bob at the nh mandolin festival. we had a long talk and i decided that
    he was the man to build my cittern. i'll probably order an octave as well after the cittern is complete.

he has made himself a redwood and claro walnut oval hole mando that is to DIE for.

the petersen is here! although it needs to acclimate, but i took a peek. ooooooh!

Bob has been making those Trilliums (Trillia?) for quite a while now, and he's good at it. I'm sure it'll be great. I seriously considered asking him to make me the shorter scale instrument I wanted, since I liked the other one so well, but decided in the spirit of exploration and adventure to try something different. I'm quite happy with what I got, but I have no doubt that I'd have been as happy with anything Bob could come up with as well.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

karen,

i live about an hour and a half from Philly. perhaps we could have a taste test sometime.

(i used to work downtown on witherspoon street).

WooHoo! Mandobar- Judith and Lee and Steph and I have been talking about setting up a mandotasting in Philly sometime soon with an emphasis on OM's...between us we will have a pretty stunning array! I'm assuming you'll want to be folded into this plan??
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

Hey you E.Coasters and Phillians!!!! Pleeeeeeaaaase don't make this a real spontaneous sorta thingie, this tasting. with all the great Irish musicians in Philly, I would want to bring the Crump along to meet the mates and to have some tunes with the local sess crowd and that needs a bit o planning, eh? <GGG>

I'd LOVE to come out for that one.

And... it occurs to me that ... here's a fellow with a Sobell, the rumor of the 1st Brentrup OM, and still has OMAS. Folks, there's yer proof, this disease has no cure... LOL!!

Congrats on the new pair! Bill Peterson is a hoot, always hangs out in his top hat with feather and makes great stuff. Karen's (ex-) Trillium passed thru my hands briefly on its way to her, and I can gladly add my small praise to all the rest for Bob Abrams' work, too.

Enjoy!

And keep me 'in the loop' on this Philly OM-tasting?

Happiest of St. Patrick's Days,

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

ok Stv... it'd be really nice to meet you in person...
    looks like the loop just got a little bigger...
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~