Thread: SIRIUS Satellite radio

I know that alot of us on here subscribe to SIRIUS for their bluegrass programming. Has anyone ever noticed that they play way, way too much Chris Jones's music. Before everybody jumps all over me, I really like his music and his vocals, but prior to getting SIRIUS radio, I really never heard much of this guy. I challange anyone on here who listenes to this program on a daily basis, to count the number of Chris Jones songs played on any given day. For those of you who are wondering why all the attention to Chris, he's one of their DJ's. They have yet to play as much as one cut from the NEW Del McCoury cd, released nearly a year ago. Now, I'm no expert, but I would think that Del's on top of his game these days and definately an artist I'd like to hear more of, along with a ton of other bluegrass musicians that never see the light of day on that station. I'll admit that I getting a little tired of the very limited artist/song selection that thet use, and I'm starting to consider dropping my subscription. I have written them several times to ask for a better song selection, but no reply. Anyone else notice what I have?

Don't you just love politics? My definition of politics. Any time a decision is made for a reason other than it was intended (read here: a persons songs being played more often because the person is a DJ). While I know to an extent it is human nature, sometimes hard to swallow.
    Tony
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

i sent an email to outlaw country about he same problem and the only reply got was a canned reply saying thanks. we have surius at work and i have xm at home

xm is much better product!
    home in time for supper with some tales to tell

I have the same problem with XM -- their BG channel keeps playing songs by some guy named Monroe.

BTW Maynard -- cool handle Daddio, but did I read correctly that you now go to <gasp> work?!?

I hadn't noticed it being a big problem, junksuph, but then again, I tend to move around the dial a good bit with SIRIUS and listen to a lot of other stuff besides BG.

For me, that's the double-edged sword of satellite radio... it really exacerbates my already burgeoning attention-deficit!
    Chris

I have Sirius at home and XM in my car...I agree that XM is a much better product. The Bluegrass channel (14) plays a very wide variety of BG music..yes, it is Monroe heavy at times, but maybe that's why I like 'em. Everyday I hear a broad cross-section of stuff ranging from New Grass Revival to Lost and Found to Hylo Brown, Red Allen, and Frank Wakefield. There is so much to hear in BG, and the modern bands seem to me to have a "sameness" about them. Not that I don't enjoy some of them..they help to create the diversity that I speak of. Now, back to the topic at hand...I really like XM. Sirius competes well with their Jazz, Rock, Old School Rap and R&B channels, and they probably have XM beat with their several Metal/Hard Rock channel varieties, versus one and some alternative channels on XM. But, XM wins hands-down for Bluegrass.
    My opinion and one dollar will buy you a canned Coke!
    Roscoe Morgan

2000 Sim Daley signed Gibson F-5L

www.sunsethillmusic.com

I just listen to Mandozine Radio at home for free. Good variety and all mando content.

Steve Davis

I should really be practicing instead of sitting in front of the computer.

Another plus for XM is X-Country (channel 12), which plays everything from roots rock to western swing; and with a noticable -- and pleasing -- lack of the stuff currently coming out of Nashville. (Where else can you hear John Hiatt, Merle Haggard, BR549, Robert Earl Keen, Steve Earle, The Gourds, and Patsy Cline back-to-back?)

hmmmmmm last time this went around SIRIUS seemed to win out..about 2 to 1.

I listen from 8:00 a.m. till 9:00p.m.daily. About 80% of their play list is played day after day afdter day. One day this week they played seven or eight of Chris Jones's songs. I like the guy and his music, but hey, enough is enough. Maybe I expect too much.

I've been pleasantly surprised with stuff I've accidentally heard on XM...........a BG Boys Reunion from Merlefest, Sam Bush Band Live w/ Jerry Douglas......Nickle Creek live in the studio........the Vassar special after his death had live on the phone interviews with Grisman etc. along with Vassars Birthday jam, I think again from Merlefest

The first week I had sirius they interviewed Ronda Vincent when she first came out with "ragin live" I was real stoked about the possibilitys and I am sorry to say I haven't heard an interview since. Checked out the sirius website and haven't found any real schedule to speak of (live events,interviews) so I guess they don't have them. I guess it's a love/hate deal. I love it to much to cancel but I hate that it could be sooo much better!

SIRIUS ... BG, JamOn, RawDog, and Howard.