Thread: Vivaldi and the Mandolins

In addition to his nice concertos for the mandolin, I understand he sometimes used the mandolin "obligato" in the orchestra. I would like to know what "obligato" is (it wasn't in the dictionary) and maybe some more info on his further use of the instrument - outside of the concertos. I am sure there are some historians aboard who could shed some light on this. I get the idea that maybe Vivaldi sometimes subsituted mandolins for violins.

Rook

As I understand it, obligato intitially meant a part that was obligated to be played to make sense of the musical whole; i.e., it could not be omitted. #It came to mean an elaborated or decorative line accompanying the main melody. #The only place other than concerti where I know Vivaldi specified a mandolino obligato line was in the aria "Transit aetas" from his only oratorio, Juditha Triumphans. #It is a nice aria.

What Eugene said. And it`s an "international" word with Latin roots. What comes to my mind is Vivaldi`s popular "Concerto con violino solo obligato" in A minor.

It's more often spelled "obbligato", even though it looks wrong. You'll find better references that way.
    Speed is important, but accuracy is everything.
    -Wyatt Earp.

http://ezfolk.com/audio/John_Kavanagh

Yes. Just like contrabbasso (my own instrument), abbassare, repubblica, et al., where the first "b" concludes one syllable, while the second one initiates the next one; it all has to do with quantitative/qualitative distinction of the vowels in each, respective syllable.

An obbligato line is not only *obligatory* (as Eugene correctly writes) but is also ob-ligato, i.e. bound with, attached to, connected with, "interwoven with" some other one (hence "ligature", etc.). Such a line goes therefore hand in hand with some other, vocal or instrumental line; hence the various arias, where an instrumental part is thus obbligato to the vocal line.

Enough turgid professor-speak. Back to picking Vivaldi's merry tunes!

It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)