Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: May 7 cafe get together

Really enjoyed the tasting the afternoon. Thanks for hosting, Flowerpot! It was great. Thanks to all the pickers for sharing some great mandos and some great tunes. Thanks Hans for sharing some of his latest/greatest mandos. The distressed Lloyd is a crusher!

Not sure I can remember all the mandos present. Below are a few. Flowerpot and others can expand the list:

Gibson Loar F-5; 2 Gil F-5's; Bluett F-5; Tennessee A-5; Unger A-5; 2-3 vintage Gibson oval hole mandos; 2-3 vintage Gibson F-4's; Kimble A-5; Henderson F-5; BRW F-5; Rigel G-5; 3 Brentrup F-5's; 2 Brentrup Eclipse mandos; 2 Gibson MM's; Dearstone F-5.

Which was my favorite? Well, they are all great in their own way. Interesting, to me, how similar good mandos played by good pickers sound.

Thanks again Flowerpot!!

Hey flowerpot,
    Thanks so much for allowing us in to your home, please thank the Mrs. for all the prepartions and for letting a bunch of mandoholics in for the afternoon. It was really a pleasure meeting Hans. I do wish I could have stayed longer. I didn't really get to jam with you guys. Could we do this again, is there a Piedmont Mandolin Orchestra waiting to bust out of this little get together? Anyone who would like to spend a little more time in a similar fashion is welcome to the Southeast CoMando Gathering in Ashe County, NC beginning May 17th-21st, 2006. Thanks again!!

Glad you enjoyed it, Brad, and everybody. There were a ton of mandolins there, and so many good pickers... man, I'm worn out, but that was a blast. Thanks for coming! I knew there would be more mandolin players than you could shake a stick at. Any more, and we would have had to move into the garage too!

Hey, I think I'll post the pics in another thread in the post a picture..." section, since I got quite a few shots. Look over there soon.

Flowerpot,
    Thanks again for hosting yesterday's mandolin party. I had a wonderful time.
    What a beautiful experience hearing and seeing so many great instruments and players stretching out like that.
    I think we should have a party like that here in our area of North Carolina once every six months or so.
    I'm willing to do what I can to help make it happen again!
    Ted Lyons in Kernersville

Hey, I got 21 acres up here on the NC/VA line in Westfield. Would be more than willing to have a gathering some time. Place to camp if needed.

I do hate that I had to miss it though. Looked like a good time.

Thanks again for a great time. Y'all should really consider coming up to the mountains for the CoMando Gathering. Five days of mandolin picking is hard to beat!

Ethan

Doh!

Boy am I sorry I missed this.

I did not even see this thread till today.

I live in Pittsboro and I am in need of some new pickin' buddies. My 7 month old son has put a serious dent in my practice time but I can still get out to jam.

Thanks,
    Eric
    Eric Bannan
    A.K.A Bus Stop Eddy
    http://www.justlisten.com

Quote Originally Posted by (Emoore @ May 09 2006, 09:36)
    Thanks again for a great time. #Y'all should really consider coming up to the mountains for the CoMando Gathering. #Five days of mandolin picking is hard to beat!

Ethan
    Ethan, don't you mean 'hard to take'?

Just joshin, sounds like fun, report back.

Let me add my thanks to Flowerpot for organizing this thing, and for opening his beautiful home to all of us -- not to mention the SERIOUS ribs he served. I had a great time and was blown away by the quality of the instuments there and by the level of musicianship. Hope there are more events like this to be had.
    Jim O'B

Let me add my hardy thanks to Flowerpot and his family for hosting the "Hans Gathering." I previously had only played on of Hans mandolins. The others there were all great. In fact so was the entire event: mandolins, mandolin players, tunes and food. Thanks again, Tom
    Tom Mylet

Can someone give me details on exactly where the CoMando thing is? I know it's north of of Jefferson, along Helton Creek, but that doesn't tell me enough to know how to get there...I have this weekend free so I'll show up at least one day, and maybe camp for the weekend, but only if I know where I'm going.

alex,good buddy, we gather in ashe co. at Helton Creek Campground, take 421 to Wilkesboro and stay on 421 past Walmart(ewww)and past Lowes, until you see Hwy 16 north. Take Hwy 16 north, and just keep going. When you see a sign for Shatley Springs Restaurant, you are close. continue north on Hwy 16 for about 4-5 miles. Just before you cross a concrete bridge, take a right and go under said bridge, like a troll, and continue on Helton Creek road crossing many low water bridges until you get to campsite on the right. We begin on Wednesday, come early, stay late. Bring your fiddle and your mandolin.

Thanks for the directions. I take it my banjo wouldn't be welcome (not that I can even play it). : )

no, no bring the banjo, I just thought I heard that you were a fiddler too. If you play banjo, fine, you will not be banished...

I was joking, I do have a banjo but I can't play it. And yes, I play fiddle.

I'd like to camp for the weekend but I'm not sure how I could. I'm not sure if I even have a tent and stuff, or if there's room in my car for it, and I don't think I'd have anyone who could come with me...but I'll try to figure something out. I'll be there for at least one day in any case, and I look forward to it.