Thread: Straps

I hate my Levy strap and like my like my Spurgeaon. What do all yall think about them Dude straps for 45.00. I like a strap I can take on and off easy. I dont like leaving them on my mando and forcing them in my case.
    07 KM 1000

Thumbs up

Got to tip my hat to the Bailey straps. Loren makes a really nice strap. Soft and very comfortable. Maybe he'll chime in with a pic or two of his craft. Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

Lane,

Thanks for the words. #Been waitin' to show this one off. #It was for a custom ordred Collings MT2 "Bumble Bee". #Black face with blonde back and sides, gold hardware and fret wire. #The customer asked for a strap to match. #I may have to make one for myself now and order a Collings to match!

Loren

I have a Dude strap on my "F" and it works just fine for me!

The Bailey straps rock!!! I love it and Loren is awesome to work with...Can't say enough great things and will order more straps down the road...man that's a nice looking Collings and strap...

make your own!, find a leather shop, make one just like you want, my friend has horses, i got some old leather straps from him, made me a cool old lookin strap for my A9.thanks

Another vote for Loren's straps...every mando I own has one...
    PeacE
    Brian

I got a guitar strap from Pat Sullivan at Sully's Straps. Hand made by him and very nice. The mando straps on his site (some are vintage) look cool, too.

My mando is a leather boot strap looped through the scroll w/a noose. works well for me.
    David Mehaffey
    -------------------------------
    ...I wonder how the old folks are at home...

Ditto for the Bailey straps. I love the one on my Eastman, and now need to get one for the Mid-Mo. Much nicer than the two store-bought straps I bought, and the price was right!
    Hondo

I like the Long Hollow softies....very comfortable and stable. J
    Judith

I am having a hard time chosing. Maybe I will go with the Bailey. How does the Loren Bailey fasten to the end pin? Does it just tie around and cinch or has a bead to help cinch it? The Dude straps disappeared from the classifieds and I can't respond via the address she emailed me. I am kinda in a pickle.
    07 KM 1000

Fendoman,

The endpin attachment utilizes a leather "bead" that cinches down tight on the endpin. I handcraft these myself (thanks to a tip from Gail Hester. Thanks Gail!). The forward attachment would depend upon the style of mando you have and how you want to attach it. For F styles I usually do a hangman's noose for the scroll. A styles can attach around the headstock, to another strap button or under the fingerboard extension.

Loren

Tony Bare

I watched a martin D-35 hit the floor and it crushed the side rib pretty bad. Martin fixed it for him but it never sounded right again. The strap got twisted and came off of the end pin. On my guitars and my mandolins I use a hangmans knot or a larkshead knot to tie the strap to the endpin. I just got a new Martin HD 28 and the first thing that I did to it was to drill a pilot hole and put a strap button under the heel. For me it just balances the instrument and makes playing easier and more comfortable. I even put strap buttons on my ukuleles.
    Tony Bare

Quote Originally Posted by (Fendoman @ May 18 2006, 18:52)
    I like a strap I can take on and off easy. I dont like leaving them on my mando and forcing them in my case.
    I leave my strap on and it doesn't have to be forced into my TKL shaped case.

The reason I leave the strap on is because it will stay tight on the tail piece button. If you take it off and on every ime you play it will become loose and then there is the chance of it slipping off when you wear it.

When I put my mando in the case I pull the strap up above the face or top of the mandolin and line it up so it is going across the bridge and down the fretboard. I have done this for many, many years with no mishap.

I have had quite a few mandolins where I put the strap on when I get the mandolin and take it off when I sell or trade it years later and the strap is still tight on the tailpiece button.

I leave my strap on also and do it in that manner. Just got one of Loren's straps a few days ago and its really nice. The endpin cinch attachment works very securely i can't imagine it coming off unless i remove it.