Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mandolins in the Movies

Default Re: Mandolins in the Movies

Has anyone mentioned the bowlback octave mandolin that appears quite prominently in several scenes in Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides?

Early in Eight Men Out there's a scene where David Strathairn, as White Sox pitcher Eddie Cicotte, leaves Charles Comiskey's office and walks back to his apartment. He goes past a pawnshop window with a mandolin hanging in it.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

As weird as this sounds, there's a scene with a **forklift** playing a mandolin in Cars 2.
    PJ Doland
    1923 Gibson Snakehead A

There's quite a bit of music, naturally, in "Bound For Glory," the Woody Guthrie bio-pic. It's a meandering but enjoyable film and mandolin in a number of scenes. Worth watching, I think.
    Cary Fagan

Blog Entries

Anyone in mandoland remember Rocky III,,when clubbers trainin hard and rockys' just playin around,,check out the band,,some guy is pickin an F-5,,don't remember what kind?

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Fagan View Post
    There's quite a bit of music, naturally, in "Bound For Glory," the Woody Guthrie bio-pic. It's a meandering but enjoyable film and mandolin in a number of scenes. Worth watching, I think.
    That's Tom Sauber on the mandolin in the scenes with Woody. Tom has done a lot of music of all sorts--old-time, bluegrass, cajun, country--on many recordings and he's appeared (as a musician) in several movies and on TV, He's part of my favorite old-time trio, Tom, Brad & Alice, with Brad Leftwich, and Alice Gerrard. Great player and great guy. More likely to be heard playing fiddle or banjo, but he can make anything with strings quake right smart.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

6. The following members say thank you to Paul Kotapish for this post:

Blog Entries

Pursuant to Paul's comment, I'll just add, completely off-topic, that the collective knowledge displayed on the Cafe forums never ceases to amaze me!
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Do Mandolin player references count? Dustin Hoffman and Tom Cruise in the diner just before Vegas.
    And another from TV, the clue is Grasshopper.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-06-10 191755.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	194640

9. The following members say thank you to MrMoe for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

My personal favorite use of mandolin in movies is the opening scene of "The Hangover." The music being played is the start of "That's Amore," by Dean Martin. The choir of angelic voices is accompanied by a cloud of trilling mandolins - it sounds like fifty of them. Hearing that through the surround sound system in the theater was a Wow moment I was not expecting. Naturally, so much happens in the movie of a much more entertaining nature it's easy to overlook that. But I remember!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rixter View Post
    My favorite mandolin sighting is the classic Humphrey Bogart movie "To Have And Have Not". Makes me wish they'd made records of movie soundtracks back in those days, the swing that pops up in various scenes is pretty tantalizing.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Well, that's Hoagy Carmichael's band, and there are certainly recordings of Hoagy Carmichael to be had.
    This is the song everyone remembers - as well they should. Charming tune, well-delivered by Ms Bacall.

There's actually more mandolin presence in this one (played with his thumb ) but no Bacall.

There is a soundtrack album for this, if anyone's interested. The audio is a bit better here.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

Rudy Cipolla composed for and played on the soundtracks of Capone and Peggy Sue Got Married.

I think there is a very short video of him playing solo in Peggy Sue Got Married.

15. The following members say thank you to lowtone2 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    This is the song everyone remembers - as well they should. Charming tune, well-delivered by Ms Bacall.

There's actually more mandolin presence in this one (played with his thumb ) but no Bacall.
    To Have and Have Not is one of my favorite movies. Apart from the mandolin, we get a Bogart/Bacall pairing, great dialogue ("You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve?"), and Hoagy Carmichael on the piano. Hoagy is in my Top Five of song writers, along with Fats Waller.

Blog Entries

Hoagy isn't in this scene. Good thing, too.

There's this SNL take on the scene.

https://www.metatube.com/en/videos/4...-Have-Not-SNL/

I'll need to start watching the old Gene Autry and Roy Rogers shows and movies because in some of the movies I do remember one of the cowboys playing a taterbug. I have no idea which ones though! One of the things that got me interested in mandolins. I had no idea what it was and neither did anyone in my family at the time.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bertotti View Post
    I'll need to start watching the old Gene Autry and Roy Rogers shows and movies because in some of the movies I do remember one of the cowboys playing a taterbug. I have no idea which ones though! One of the things that got me interested in mandolins. I had no idea what it was and neither did anyone in my family at the time.
    Shug Fisher played fiddle and mandolin in "Sons of The Pioneers," Roy Rogers's band. See the following thread:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...046&viewfull=1

Paul Buskirk played mandolin with Gene Autry. See:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...-up-Gene-Autry
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ranald For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Of course, if they're anything other than taterbugs they're anachronistic. But then, it's Hollywood. They didn't care too much in Tinsel Town about historical accuracy until recently, and they still slide on this stuff all the time. The history wonks and the gotcha squad catch them up all the time. Some had issues with the goings on in "To Have And Have Not," I noticed as I was picking vid clips. It never ends ...

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

Ventured out the movie theater for the first time in a couple of years and saw Wes Anderson's latest, The French Dispatch. The soundtrack has snippets of mandolin and some sort of picked banjos (tenor/plectrum) scattered throughout, and there is one scene where the "Vivaldi Trio" comprising two mandolins and a guitar are playing for a bizarre art opening in a prison. (It all makes sense in Wes Anderson's world somehow.)

The piece they are playing is, I think, the Adagio from Mozart’s Sonata for Mandolin and Guitar, performed by mandolin virtuoso Detlef Tewes and classical guitarist Boris Björn Bagger on the soundtrack.

The scene goes by quickly, but it looks like at least on of the actors is holding a Gibson A.

Anderson is not to everyone's taste, but if you know his work and like him, check this one out. In theaters now.

No mandolin in the trailer as far as I could hear, but it gives you a sense of the visual rollercoaster in the movie.

Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Kotapish For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kotapish View Post
    Anderson is not to everyone's taste, but if you know his work and like him, check this one out.
    I know his work and like him, but enough with the Bill Murray already. Unless of course he's the one playing the mandolin...
    Looking forward to seeing it. Thanks!
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    I know his work and like him, but enough with the Bill Murray already. Unless of course he's the one playing the mandolin...
    Looking forward to seeing it. Thanks!
    Murray is actually pretty understated and apt in this one, basically doing an interpretation of the dour Harold Ross (co-founder of The New Yorker and its longtime editor-in-chief).
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

27. The following members say thank you to Paul Kotapish for this post:

Moneyball - the baseball movie. Brad Pitt takes his daughter to a music store to buy a guitar. There is an A model sitting on the shelf in the background.
    Being right is overrated. Doing right is what matters.

Northfield F5S Blacktop
    Pono MND-20H

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    My personal favorite use of mandolin in movies is the opening scene of "The Hangover." The music being played is the start of "That's Amore," by Dean Martin. The choir of angelic voices is accompanied by a cloud of trilling mandolins - it sounds like fifty of them. Hearing that through the surround sound system in the theater was a Wow moment I was not expecting. Naturally, so much happens in the movie of a much more entertaining nature it's easy to overlook that. But I remember!
    This thread bump brings up a mea culpa moment. Recently I saw "Moonstruck" for the first time in a long time, which indeed starts with "That's Amore" - greatly appropriate, as it dovetails with the movie's themes of love and the moon. I recalled having said somewhere that this was from "The Hangover;" apparently I was mistaken. I didn't know which thread contained my misattribution, so its reappearance gave me the chance to correct my error. When I posted the above I was going on memory, which is usually reliable - but not always. For the life of me, I have no idea why I still to this day have this memory, but it's still there. Maybe it was from another movie. I don't know. I'll put it on my list of memories to research while under hypnosis.

You need an arched bridge to get individual strings.

"That's Amore" first appeared in "The Caddy" starring Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis. I saw it on TMC a while back, don't remember if any mandolins were visible or not.

Blog Entries

You are correct, sir, and according to songfacts.com - an entertaining though not entirely authoritative website - there's a-more:

The lyrics were written by Jack Brooks with music by Harry Warren. The song first appeared in the 1953 movie The Caddy, starring Martin and his comedy partner Jerry Lewis. In his autobiography, Lewis said that when he and Dean were making The Caddy, the writers left Dean with little to do. Knowing this would increase their already strained relationship, Jerry went behind Dean's back and asked songwriter Harry Warren to write a hit song for Dean to sing in the movie. This was the result.

This has been used in a variety of movies, including Rear Window (1954), Ishtar (1987), Moonstruck (1987), Grumpier Old Men (1995), White Chicks (2004), Enchanted (2007), and Bridget Jones's Baby (2016).

There would be no mandolins onscreen, I reckon, just in the soundtrack.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Luber View Post
    You need an arched bridge to get individual strings.
    Wrong thread?

Here's "Lady Play Your Mandolin," the first Merry Melodies cartoon, from 1931. In those days, it seems that mandolins sounded like pianos. Warning: AL Jolson imitation and other possibly offensive content. If links don't work, search YouTube for "Lady Play Your Mandolin/cartoon".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SGl...rrisWheelhouse

Last edited by Ranald; Nov-26-2021 at 9:34pm.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Blog Entries

Apparently, mandolins at the time had only three strings and two tuning pegs. Well, it was the Great Depression and supplies were short, and people were cutting back ...

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post: